Forums > Kitesurfing General

help needed for backhand carves

Created by harrysurfer > 9 months ago, 21 Mar 2012
harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
21 Mar 2012 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Recently on down winders from floreat to trigg i have been falling off my board when doing a carve on a sucky pocket going left. i keep falling off the back of the board and the board shoots forward. it is extremely frustrating and was hoping someone could advise me on how to improve my backhand carves and snaps. if i go easy i get a nice spray but i'm really looking at improving the power in the pocket
ps i ride strapless

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
21 Mar 2012 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hard to imagine what your describing , how long have you been in the waves for? Sounds like a technique issue, perhaps time on the water will improve it!?

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
21 Mar 2012 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye said...

Hard to imagine what your describing , how long have you been in the waves for? Sounds like a technique issue, perhaps time on the water will improve it!?

Go easy on him surfingboye hehe!

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
21 Mar 2012 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

3 years

stoff
WA, 246 posts
21 Mar 2012 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

When your doing the carve, your relying too much on the kite supporting you and pulling you back to vertical. This is fine on a strapped board as you can pull the board back towards you, but unstrapped it just shoots off.
You need to initiate the turn with a bit less pull from the kite (slacker lines) and bend your knees so your legs do more of the work and your body isn't falling backwards.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
21 Mar 2012 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Get your weight over the centre of your board and stop leaning back.

ok
NSW, 1088 posts
21 Mar 2012 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

If you say the word PHWOARRRRRRRR or WHARPOWWWWW whilst doing them you wont fall off and youll throw massive amounts of spray!

://

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
21 Mar 2012 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Maaate. Just accept that you are a kook again. Did you really think that spending the whole Perth season in France eating Baguettes was going to help?

You are back on the water and giving it a solid bash. That is all that matters.

And it doesn't change the fact that you are a very giving person.

Your stacks give a good dose of amusement to the dog walkers and Elroy

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
21 Mar 2012 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed for years first season in the waves last winter. Sounds like you have too much weight on your back foot. I know when I surf I'll be back foot off the bottom and through the top until just before I come back down then I shift my weight over my front foot.

beefarmer
WA, 328 posts
21 Mar 2012 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Have you got a kite harry? could this be a problem for you?

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
21 Mar 2012 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

NickT said...

Sounds like you have too much weight on your back foot.

Spot on. The other problem is that he has too much weight on his front foot aswell!

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
21 Mar 2012 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

heres a few vids to give ya a few tips Harry for backside riding that Wilson put together! hope they help you and others! theres a heap too for frontside on the BWS vimeo page - heres the link to find them
vimeo.com/user2051002

sebol
WA, 753 posts
22 Mar 2012 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Basic physics:

Principal of innertia or centrifugal forces.

You used to be about 75kgs so in a sharp turn, you were able to control the limited forces applied to the board with your legs.

At 86.54 kg you have broken the barrier and you are therefore collapsing like a blob of mash potatoes being projected against a window.

I hope that I have clearly resolved your issue and look forward to watching you in action.

Weta
WA, 893 posts
22 Mar 2012 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like your mates have your problem solved harrysurfer

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
23 Mar 2012 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

I used to have the same problem with my heelside transitions on a snowboard. It was caused by me trying to edge too early, and not committing my body weight to the turn (front foot pressure). Basically I was being wary of picking up speed as I turned down the fall line and my instinct was to lean away from the board.

I know riding a surf board is more about the back foot but I think the principles still apply.

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
23 Mar 2012 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

This is what a real Back Hand Carve looks like. Top quality.

One of the best I have ever seen.

[Scroll down to check it out]....

beefarmer
WA, 328 posts
23 Mar 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

are you bored ticko?

doggies
WA, 10 posts
23 Mar 2012 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

i could use that then i wouldnt have to take my watch off after a few coopers reds

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
24 Mar 2012 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

I see allot of guys drawing the wrong lines and going out to the shoulder of the wave being pulled the kite. Check solbaks vid below even though he is strapped in it doesnt matter watch where he is bottom turning from to end up belting the lip...prob the most overlooked technique for backside riding.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"help needed for backhand carves" started by harrysurfer