Forums > Kitesurfing General

kite thrills mauritius

Created by doonut > 9 months ago, 4 Jul 2012
doonut
WA, 257 posts
4 Jul 2012 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone been on a tour this year yet? Good wind n surf?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
4 Jul 2012 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

i think mike has just started his tours over there for the next couple of months, if you check out kitethrills web im sure he will be updating about the conditions , im hanging out to get over, june july aug are the best times for some good wind and swell

doonut
WA, 257 posts
4 Jul 2012 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah i know they started at the end of june, just asking if anyone on here has been on a tour this year.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
4 Jul 2012 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not going this year but went last year and loved it, sounds like they have been having fun and got some wind and waves already this year, I hope Stephan and Mike don't mind me sharing these links.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.178000392329917.39294.157311544398802&type=1

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.181297125333577.40137.157311544398802&type=1

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
5 Jul 2012 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

I'm not going this year but went last year and loved it, sounds like they have been having fun and got some wind and waves already this year, I hope Stephan and Mike don't mind me sharing these links.

Tightlines, I would appreciate it if you stopped living the dream for a while, just to let us all catch up a little.

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
5 Jul 2012 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't do the tour but I did go to Mauritius with a mate this time last year and the location is awesome. You'll have a great time.

You can get around Mauritius pretty easily and the place we stayed at organised a transfer from the airport for us, hired us an old Nissan ute to get to and from the beach. PM me if you want the details.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
6 Jul 2012 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

wishy said...

tightlines said...

Tightlines, I would appreciate it if you stopped living the dream for a while, just to let us all catch up a little.

What Wishy said....several times over....and over....and again, just for good measure

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
6 Jul 2012 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

^ Hey I said I am not going this year

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
6 Jul 2012 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be there in 3 weeks!

Can't wait since I missed summer from a knee recon.

lebegonia
10 posts
7 Jul 2012 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

If you need pick-up for rent contact me..!! I have pick-up for 23 Euro only per day

Leeds said...

I'll be there in 3 weeks!

Can't wait since I missed summer from a knee recon.

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
7 Jul 2012 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

I just arrived back and had a great time.

If you can afford the bit extra just go with Kite Thrills, they have it sorted and the comradare and experiance you get is well worth it.

the wind has been a bit up and down, but with the surfing, supping and other available activities you won't be short of things to do.

The film crew are on to it as well, shooting stills and vid - which is great to come home with the evidence.

kitethrills
QLD, 185 posts
9 Jul 2012 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah we're having a great time here - lots of wind and waves - the forecast is for 4m seas and 18 second period later this week - ooooohhh yeah. But on a more normal level - we've been getting lots of days around 15-20knots and waves in the 3-6 foot range. the crew are all stoked here.

here is the vid from the first coupla weeks - thanks to all the guys for being such great company. yehaaaaa. there are more pictures from Stephan at www.facebook.com/oceanblueskyproduction

Paul Cousins video

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
28 Jul 2012 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

leave for Mauritius on Tuesday, just got my go pro wifi back pack for the trip all set up!

Has anyone got a forecast of what the wind is doing over there?

Ive found a forecast on windguru and windfinder but they say its not very windy so Im hoping there wrong and its going to be blowing a gale.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
28 Jul 2012 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon you will be ok Leeds, it doesn't look to bad a forecast to me, from what I could tell when I was there windguru and windfinder both show a bit lower than it usually is.
Id def be packing a 12 - 14mtr though.

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
28 Jul 2012 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Over here at the present time.
Bring a 12 for sure
Great fun living the dream.
Windless day yesterday for the bigger blokes but it is on again today just heading of know for a kite after wake boarding all morning
bring a 2mm wetsuit top min and a rashly for underneath

Dolph
WA, 41 posts
28 Jul 2012 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Going in four weeks with wife for anniversary , would like to know if I can hire gear over there or do you have to take your own.

hitch_hiker
WA, 412 posts
29 Jul 2012 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kite thrills great vid!

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
29 Jul 2012 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Just came back. For the wind, we found that it was about 5 knots or so better at Le Morne than the forecast on Windguru. The forecast was generally around 13-15 and I was nicely powered on an 11m - with winds 18-20. I agree with Ugly that good idea to bring around a 12m plus a smaller. Again 2mm wetsuit was just perfect for me too. Take booties - if you hit the reef - which I did a few times will save your feet.

It is a great spot. One thing to think about - we went across the other side of the island and did a downwinder. Would aim for bigger tide, around 2 hours either side or high. We got a taxi to one end and got him to meet us again at the other. Was great way to spend a day and look around. Even stopped in at a 5 star resort for a beer and chips mid way through the downwinder.

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
29 Jul 2012 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Forgot - yes you can hire gear - North gear is easiest to get hold of.

Justhanging
WA, 64 posts
30 Jul 2012 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Got back yesterday from 2 weeks in Mauritius. 10m kite got me out 11 out of 13 days (I weight 70kg) although some days were borderline and I could have used a larger kite. Average wind around 16-20 knot range and there would not have been a day where a smaller kite would have been required. Enjoy - magic place to visit.

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
1 Aug 2012 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back great time and great to see a great group of Australians there. We took 3 kites each and used our 12 m the most {100kg] and my mate used 10m [95kg].
Could have got away with a 10m on some days but i am power hungry just in case you need it.
Rental of gear worked out at 50 Euro for the day or 2500 Euro for a week. North Board and kite. Club Mistral and KSLM we the same and located up at the Flat spot the other side of the Indian Resort, just ask directions or just follow the road.

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
2 Aug 2012 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Day 2 and still no wind

Forecast says wont be good until next week!

Just my luck to go to the windiest place and find no wind.

Back to the bar for another drink!

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
2 Aug 2012 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Leeds said...

Day 2 and still no wind

Go up to the Rhumerie at Chamarel and taste some proper rum. The food is pretty good too! Catch a taxi to Flic en Flac and have a bit of a late night party!

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
3 Aug 2012 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

We've been tod flic an flac is the place to be Saturday night.

Well the forecast was very wrong and it blew 20-22 knots all arvo!

If your in Australia and need a kiting holiday get over here ASAP!

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
4 Aug 2012 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

Leeds said...

Day 2 and still no wind

Go up to the Rhumerie at Chamarel and taste some proper rum. The food is pretty good too! Catch a taxi to Flic en Flac and have a bit of a late night party!

What's a good time to go to flic en flac?

Any particular places to avoid or must see?

michel
NSW, 410 posts
5 Aug 2012 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Really!! where have you been ..Wed..we did a 3hr down winder from just south of Tamarin bay all the way back to one-eye- Thurs..was super windy at one-eye and Fri.. a bit lighter but still
plenty on my 7m -no wind sat see what today brings ....forecast says NE..there is a spot on the NE coast that they kite,that's the good thing with Kitethrills they take you to wherever the wind is on the island.

Leeds said...

Day 2 and still no wind

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
5 Aug 2012 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Leeds said...

lostinlondon said...

Leeds said...

Day 2 and still no wind

We went on a Friday night (I think). It's not a big place, just get the taxi driver to drop you off at the bars down near the beach. (It's about $20 for a minivan for an hour long ride)

We were told that the clubs up in Grand Baie are pretty sick (think Ibiza style) but you would need to plan that mission pretty well and stay overnight there. Driving up to Port Louis for the day is also an option, if the wind is down.

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
6 Aug 2012 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

Leeds said...

lostinlondon said...

Leeds said...

Day 2 and still no wind

We went on a Friday night (I think). It's not a big place, just get the taxi driver to drop you off at the bars down near the beach. (It's about $20 for a minivan for an hour long ride)

We were told that the clubs up in Grand Baie are pretty sick (think Ibiza style) but you would need to plan that mission pretty well and stay overnight there. Driving up to Port Louis for the day is also an option, if the wind is down.

Was a good night, only had 3 hours there but that was enough to have a few long island iced teas.

The chef at the hotel said he's going to get me some proper rhum from chamarel as well, so what's your advice on flavor to choose and how much should I be paying so he doesn't rip me off?

gspotxtreme
WA, 94 posts
6 Aug 2012 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

can,t go past Seven Seas pure cane spirit, 50% proof. super smooth, $AU7 per bottle. paddle boarding has been epic at Manawa the last 2 days. well overhead, glass, barrelling lefthand reef break. no one else out

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
15 Aug 2012 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Leeds
NSW, 209 posts
16 Aug 2012 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

I didnt go with Kite thrills but next time I will definetly go with them.

Local knowledge is essential as I had a couple of mates drive around in circles one day only to come back to Le Morne finding me and another mate already kiting.

Also the luxury of having a boat would make it so much more enjoyable as when your kiting the waves offshore it really is far offshore.

If it all went pear shaped the next stop would be kenya or somalia, maybe madagascar if you were lucky.

Still had fun though, Flic en Flac was good for a night out.

Didnt get any rum home as my luggage would have been over weight and duty free was out cause we transfered at Reunion (French **** hole that place is) and they would have confiscated it cause it was over 100ml.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"kite thrills mauritius" started by doonut