Forums > Kitesurfing General

kitesurfing around Port Albert

Created by shifty46 > 9 months ago, 16 Nov 2010
shifty46
SA, 11 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Thinking of heading over to victoria end of dec to yarram does anyone know if there are any good kitesurfing spots around ? or any suggestions on flying with kite and board with airlines. thanks for your help!

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Probably best at Port Albert if you have a boat to get around to the wind exposed beaches. some of the islands you could land on and walk to the windward side.
But you are only 30mins or so from Sandy Point.

shifty46
SA, 11 posts
16 Nov 2010 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ral Inn i will check out sandy point when i come over there hopefully there will be some wind cheers again.

stanhalen
WA, 187 posts
16 Nov 2010 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

just don't go to prince albert, you'll get your gear all messed up, and lookout for the sandy point coming from the windward side.

ffifty5
VIC, 102 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Port Albert kitesurfing? Geez you would need an extra 5 knots of wind each time you go against the tide. I know it well and it would not be the best location, there are Stingrays that don't like intruders as well as other toothies further down the Main Channel. Like Ral said, Sandy Point is "just" 45mins away. Port Welshpool is more open and much easier to set up, but you will be on your own, nobody else mucks about at McLouglins, Manns, Robertsons, Franklin etc. Marlay Point near Sale is OK, but again no company, Paynesville area near Bairnsdale is on the Gippsland Lakes, no tides or toothies to worry about, and a beach for every wind. There is a growing group of kiters and an older group of worn out sailboarders. Call into to Coopers Hardware to see Bruce and he will give you the good oil.

shifty46
SA, 11 posts
17 Nov 2010 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys wow sounds like there is a few places to try when i get there. I dont mind traveling a bit it normally takes me 40 mins to get to my local spot in Adelaide. Hope to see you out on the water sometime

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"kitesurfing around Port Albert" started by shifty46