Forums > Kitesurfing General

kiting europe

Created by joshbuts > 9 months ago, 24 May 2013
joshbuts
QLD, 26 posts
24 May 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Im about to take off to the UK for the summer and winter coming, and am thinking of kiting trips I can do while Im there, can anyone give any stories, advice, places to hit or places not to???

airjunkie
WA, 142 posts
24 May 2013 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Wales if you can make it some of the best kiting in the UK
north and south

one place i regret not making it to over there was Tiree in scotland is awesome for wind and such a small island you just pick the beach to suit the current wind direction but really for the hardcore kiter not much else on the island in the way of entertainment (family etc) or so i am told

where are you going to be based ?

also get yourself onto Kitecrowd.com they are a mainly uk based forum and they can give you good advice

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
24 May 2013 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Tyree island , gower peninsula, cumbria, rhosy,west coast of ireland, plenty of spots, get a.decent steamer

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
24 May 2013 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry forgot to mention, check the bksa website as they've done a lot of lobbying to re establish Kiting in some areas where local councils banned it, its only 25 pounds to join for the year, our Kiting body could learn from the bksa great establishment

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
24 May 2013 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

a.decent steamer

I had 3 Good Steamers today

Seamus1982
22 posts
25 May 2013 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

If you are staying around the south coast, you have Poole Harbour which is a good flat water spot, Boscombe beach has a bit of wave action, as does Brighton, West Witterings is pretty awesome for flat water as it has sandbars which create pretty much a lake at low tide. However at West Witterings you need to be a member to use the beach, they have a little hut there with details, it's also a really nice spot with easy access, big beach, showers toilets etc. Poole harbour has very little beach to launch from. Watergate bay in Cornwall (lovely part of England not to be missed with good surf) is also a good spot if you are down that way and has some waves. West Coast of Ireland is pretty big waves from what I know, so be careful if you are heading that way.

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
25 May 2013 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...
Sorry forgot to mention, check the bksa website as they've done a lot of lobbying to re establish Kiting in some areas where local councils banned it, its only 25 pounds to join for the year, our Kiting body could learn from the bksa great establishment

Kited for 6 years in the uk, bksa website is really useful tool

Are they a great body yes - but u have I bear in mind try look after a much smaller land mass with a greater number of MEMBERS

airjunkie
WA, 142 posts
26 May 2013 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

BKSA was 35 pounds for membership last time i was there
. . . i asked about getting coverage for someone who was visiting me and was instructed that it was not possible to cover anyone that didn't currently reside in the uk (not holiday)

if you do reside there for a while SPKA insurance is the one to get BPKA is by far the cheapest but it is badly run and can take months to receive coverage
. . . . as opposed to BPKS and SPKA who cover you from the instant you pay and print out the policy

the insuravne companies are just ripping us of in australia
if the BPKA is still around (it was run so badly im not sure if they are )
they prvide global public liability insurance for its members in all aspects of kiting for 14 pounds a year incluing their profit margin on top - how can they justify such high prices in australia . . . is it just a scam ?

also if your planning on kiting at the gower peninsula's amazing beaches be aware of massive UK summer restrictions to a lot of the beaches and misrable kite hating land owners trying to block vehicular access to others (sadly with great success)

Seamus1982
22 posts
26 May 2013 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

In respect of insurance cost, all I will say is yesterday I paid nearly $6 dollars for a capsicum and $11 for a pint of ****ty beer! My point? Everything is expensive in Oz!

Burls
209 posts
28 May 2013 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

Joshbuts - Are you planning to do trips outside the UK? Are you looking for waves or flat water?

joshbuts
QLD, 26 posts
29 May 2013 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Burls said..

Joshbuts - Are you planning to do trips outside the UK? Are you looking for waves or flat water?

waves is always better..

joshbuts
QLD, 26 posts
29 May 2013 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joshbuts said..

Im about to take off to the UK for the summer and winter coming, and am thinking of kiting trips I can do while Im there, can anyone give any stories, advice, places to hit or places not to???

My girlfriend is also coming over a few weeks later to visit so we are thinking of taking 2 weeks to do a trip somewhere.. any suggestions on a good cheep place to go??? my girl is only just starting (up on the water but not up wind yet..) so a flat water spot is better for her.. suggestions???

pomE
NSW, 164 posts
29 May 2013 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, but do you mean still in the UK or other Euro destination?

kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfing/
forum.kitecrowd.com/kitesurfing/
www.skyhooked.co.uk/2011/05/the-ultimate-kitesurfing-guide-to-cornwall/
kitesurfinguk.org.uk/uk-kite-beaches/

Tiree (Scotland), island is getting talked about more and more too, although there's not much else to do there other than kite and/ or chill....

Some of the beaches in Pembrokshire (S Wales), and Cornwall would even rival (dare I say it), some of the Aus beaches.

Places within a few hours flight of UK suitable for learning could include:

Gokova (Turkey)
Fuerteventura

Egypt & Greece as mentioned

Peelgeo
WA, 36 posts
29 May 2013 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Josh,

Take a look at kiteworldmag.com travel section has a lot of good info. There should be heaps of places that are cheap to get to from UK (flight/accom deals). In terms of a flat water spot for the missus: greece could be fun, egypt is cheap and as flat as it gets, italy the list goes on...

If you want snow, come to Norway in winter and ill show you some good spots. save your pennies though coz it aint cheap!

Burls
209 posts
3 Jun 2013 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joshbuts said..

My girlfriend is also coming over a few weeks later to visit so we are thinking of taking 2 weeks to do a trip somewhere.. any suggestions on a good cheep place to go??? my girl is only just starting (up on the water but not up wind yet..) so a flat water spot is better for her.. suggestions???

If you're girlfriend is coming over in summer and you want to kite in flat (or Fairly flat) water, here's a few spots you may want to check out:

Corfu, Greece - SW Coast (Just South of Chalikounas) - Beautiful beach (quiet by Euro standards), great spot for learning, there's a kite school there. A little summertime shack bar on top of the dune pumps out the euro trash we had some really fun post-kiting sessions there. The beach is a long way from anywhere, so you would either have to stay nearby and have a very quiet stay (besides the kiting), or stay at one of the bigger towns on Corfu where you can party, but then you'll have to drive to the beach which took us around 45 minutes plus, each way. There's lots of accommodation options on Corfu.

Porto Pollo, Sardinia (Kiting is from the beach West of Isola Dei Gabbiani) - Gorgeous beach, popular kite spot, but the beach was so long you could find your own space, flat water. Sardinia is generally not a cheap place, but there could be some cheaper places to stay if you're out of the key tourist areas.

Paros, Greece (Pounta): Kiting mecca, very popular kite spot indeed, but I never found any problem finding some space, although I haven't been there in the middle of peak holiday season. Flat water, several kite schools. IMO Paros is a cool island to chill out.

PM me if you want more info.

Burls

joshbuts
QLD, 26 posts
19 Jun 2013 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Burls , thanks heaps for all the good info! But we have a friend that is Israeli and has convinced us to goto Israel.. you don't know anything about Israel, Jordan, or Egypt do you??

gazman2
VIC, 112 posts
20 Jun 2013 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

Iceland.
Plenty of wind
No crowds.
Amazing scenery
Waves and flat water.

79Boarder
NSW, 93 posts
21 Jun 2013 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joshbuts said..
joshbuts said..

Canary Islands. Cheap as from the UK. It is like their version of Bali. I stayed in Fuerteventura for a week for two people including flights for a few hundred pounds. I just rented a dirt bike. Convince your girlfriend to hold your board and just ride down the coast till you find a spot. Lanzarote is a good day trip too.
Good luck.

Pheebobafet
NSW, 124 posts
22 Jun 2013 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Fiji with ya best mate would be better ya Fckn Koo koo ka chop chop!

Burls
209 posts
23 Jun 2013 4:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joshbuts said..
Burls , thanks heaps for all the good info! But we have a friend that is Israeli and has convinced us to goto Israel.. you don't know anything about Israel, Jordan, or Egypt do you??

No mate, sorry.

FYI the 'Meltemi' has kicked off in Greece, and it's been blowing its balls off. 25-35 knots, perfect sunshine, and Mythos beer 3.50 Euro a six pack, not bad.

Burls.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"kiting europe" started by joshbuts