Forums > Kitesurfing General

lines crossed after backroll, solution?

Created by slyfox > 9 months ago, 20 Dec 2010
slyfox
VIC, 318 posts
20 Dec 2010 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

so after years of just cruising around and doing straight up and down jumps (very vanilla aren't i) i'm adding some variety. had a go at back loops which were fine except my front lines would wrap around one another.. how do i remedy this? i asked a bloke i kite with and he gave me a blank expression and said his bar has a swively system that sorts it out.

i'm using a liquid force CPR bar if anyone is familiar with it. any help appreciated.. especially as i'm going out in half an hour to get some loops in.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
20 Dec 2010 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

front rollls will counteract backrolls!

Front rolls are easier too!

Or learn to backroll both directions.

slyfox
VIC, 318 posts
20 Dec 2010 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

front rolls easier? ..interesting. ok i'll roll with that *boom tish*

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
20 Dec 2010 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

To add balance to the conversation, I reckon front rolls are harder. But only marginally.

sohk
QLD, 79 posts
20 Dec 2010 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

fit an aftermarket swivel!!!! ive done this to other kites works fine!

most kite shops have them and they are easy to fit and cheap fix!

slyfox
VIC, 318 posts
20 Dec 2010 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

sohk said...

fit an aftermarket swivel!!!! ive done this to other kites works fine!

most kite shops have them and they are easy to fit and cheap fix!

this must be what my friend has. i'll contact my local and see what they have in store, might be handy if i start doing multiple rolls and things get messy.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
20 Dec 2010 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

GreenPat said...

To add balance to the conversation, I reckon front rolls are harder. But only marginally.

Agreed, although I always found it easier to do front loop transitions.

As long as there isn't 256 twists in the lines there is no need to worry about front line twists, as long as the safety still works of course...

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
20 Dec 2010 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Just learn backrolls the other direction. Its easier than a swivel. Front rolls are probably a little harder than backrolls the other way.

graceful
WA, 773 posts
20 Dec 2010 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Loop ya kite back the other way maybe

superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
20 Dec 2010 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

back loop? i'm not an expert, but i'm not sure if this is a correct term. There is "Kite Loop" and then there is "Back roll", "Front roll" as far as i've been thaught.

No way are the front rolls easier than the back roll!!!

Back roll in opposite direction is easier IMO.

Front rolls look a lot more mad than the back rolls though...

slyfox
VIC, 318 posts
20 Dec 2010 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

superlizard said...

back loop? i'm not an expert, but i'm not sure if this is a correct term. There is "Kite Loop" and then there is "Back roll", "Front roll" as far as i've been thaught.

No way are the front rolls easier than the back roll!!!

Back roll in opposite direction is easier IMO.

Front rolls look a lot more mad than the back rolls though...

ahhh yes, made a slip up there. i've ammended the threads title. cheers.

rwtaaffe
NSW, 92 posts
20 Dec 2010 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Back roll with a kiteloop the same direction as your roll
No crossed lines

sebol
WA, 753 posts
20 Dec 2010 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

When you are coming back in the opposite direction of the tack where you did the back roll, downloop the kite on your jibe (no real pull as you wil be heading downwing mid jibe) and voila

little o
WA, 405 posts
20 Dec 2010 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

i thought all kites had the swivel..........
yeah front rolls are way harder and usually cause me a lot of pain and a kite that drops out of the sky and repowers in a painful way.

Backroll both ways then try to get as upside down as possible then backroll with a grab.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
20 Dec 2010 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

For those of you recent converts to kiting....

backloop was the original backroll. Just watch some 2005 and earlier vids.

Fatsands IKO beginner DVD even calls them backloops.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
20 Dec 2010 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

I feel your pain, I used to use a big cabrinha with no swivel that was so slow it could hardly make it's way round a downloop to undo the tangles!

Now the problem with my C4 is it Loops twice before I even realize what's happening.

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
21 Dec 2010 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Backroll is a more horizontal looping action.
Backloop is a more vertical looping action.

Kr

xtortya
WA, 322 posts
21 Dec 2010 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

I always thought a back loop was hooked and back roll unhooked.

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
21 Dec 2010 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

And I thought a backloop was a backroll kiteloop...

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
21 Dec 2010 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Loops are what you do with your kite.

Rolls are what you do with your body. Rolls have your feet going up and over the top. Also known as flips.

Spins or turns or rotations are turning your body around. Your head stays at the top and the feet at the bottom.

Loops have the kite doing a full 360 turn. If it's only 180 then it's usually a downturn. An up turn doesn't really count because that's just an ordinary turn around.

Powered loops have the kite spinning around the horizontal axis (from the water to the sky and around). Pussy loops have the kite spinning in the vertical access (around in a circle above your head.)

Used to be that the first trick you would do would be a back roll (usually more of a vertical spin.

With new kites the easiest trick is a down turn transition.

Pussy loops are also very very easy to do. Just do a jump. Send the kite too far back, and keep it going around. You can finish the loop with your board on the water (which is why it is a pussy move).

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
21 Dec 2010 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Can/would anyone tell/teach me how to do front rolls on a surfboard? Back rolls feel so natural and easy. When I try a front roll...... [}:)]....
(usually I try them way out, where I can't hear the laughter coming from the beach... )

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
21 Dec 2010 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Andrash said...

Can/would anyone tell/teach me how to do front rolls on a surfboard? Back rolls feel so natural and easy. When I try a front roll...... [}:)]....
(usually I try them way out, where I can't hear the laughter coming from the beach... )

Try them on a TT first, its not that much more difficult on a surfboard you just have to get it clear in your head first what you are doing then really throw your shoulder/ head forward and down while pulling hard on the front hand to keep the forward momentum.
I'm not sure what you are doing but maybe try to pop a bit more than send your kite back.

As for the original question about twisted lines I think the options from easiest to hardest IMO are
I. do a downloop transition on the oppostite tack to your backroll.
II. Learn to do frontrolls.
III. do a backroll kiteloop.

superskoof
12 posts
21 Dec 2010 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

rwtaaffe said...

Back roll with a kiteloop the same direction as your roll
No crossed lines

Exactly !!
This is THE way !

kitesurfjim
VIC, 136 posts
22 Dec 2010 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Kite loop Back loop it's the way forward.

anyway i strongly suggest you check your kit over!!!
LF CPR bar has a swivel attached to the pulley your centre line go's through.
only thing to watch for is the centre line safety can get twisted so best to either loop the kite or rotate the other way.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
22 Dec 2010 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Andrash said...

Big difference I found was to jump off your back foot and tuck your front leg. Make sure you keep your hands centered to stop yourself downlooping (I made this mistake quite a few times initially and its painful coming through a front roll only to see the kite looping and almost touching the water). The reason for this is in the process of tucking your front leg you often pull your front hand down and this causes the downloop.

In short, you need more height so send the kite to 12 (travelling slowly so you don't boost 6m up), and then as you would normally load and pop, load and jump off your back leg through your head in the direction you want to rotate.

Front rolls are normally a bit of an anticlimax the first time you get them right because its a bit like "was that all it was?", but get them wrong and they're a tad painful and funny to watch from the beach.

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
22 Dec 2010 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Saffer, it makes a lot of sense. It seems that sending the kite back and jumping from the back foot are key elements, as opposed to back roll when I more or less keep the kite in the same position around 11 and take off from a chop.
I am looking forward to the "anticlimax" as soon as the SSW kicks in again.
Cheers

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
22 Dec 2010 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting versions of backrolls vs backloop.

When I wakeboard i would never use the term "loop". It is strictly the term "roll".

When I windsurf the term i would use is a "back loop", though a roll was always classed as a more horizontal version of a similar trick.

The same manouvre is:

Wakeboarding: - Backroll
Windsurfing: - Backloop
Kitesurfing:- Take your pick. (Seems to be interchangeable)

Does anyone agree

KR

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
22 Dec 2010 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

Rolls are what you do with your body. Rolls have your feet going up and over the top. Also known as flips.

no- a flip is when you rotate over the rail of the board (eg tantrum) and a roll is when you rotate over the nose or tail (eg backroll).

jev7337
QLD, 460 posts
22 Dec 2010 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

slyfox said...

i'm using a liquid force CPR bar if anyone is familiar with it. any help appreciated.. especially as i'm going out in half an hour to get some loops in.

I thought the CPR bar has the safety line going through middle of the bar but I could be wrong.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"lines crossed after backroll, solution?" started by slyfox