Forums > Kitesurfing General

old bars can break !!!

Created by SaveTheWhales > 9 months ago, 6 Apr 2014
SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
6 Apr 2014 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Sometimes old bars break - so be sure to bin them if you think theyve done there dash

This oldie but goodie, broke in half where I least expected it to and I check over the whole bar n lines every session.
Luckily it happened on the water - seconds before I was megalooping with it.

I counted my blessings and immediately went and ordered a Switch 2 bar - as it has impressive videos of its strength and a cheap alternative to big brands..

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
7 Apr 2014 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..
Sometimes old bars break - so be sure to bin them if you think theyve done there dash

This oldie but goodie, broke in half where I least expected it to and I check over the whole bar n lines every session.

Luckily it happened on the water - seconds before I was megalooping with it.

I counted my blessings and immediately went and ordered a Switch 2 bar - as it has impressive videos of its strength and a cheap alternative to big brands..www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos/kitesurfing/8276889.jpghttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos/kitesurfing/8276891.jpg' />

... just wondering, how old was the bar and where did you store it in its off time?

Robbie

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
7 Apr 2014 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Puetz

Ashamedly its 2009 and has always been I thought... my strong reliable bar.

I always wash and chek my bars after every session then they are hung up to dry and stored in my garage under cover..

Oddly enough I was actually looking on the net for a new bar prior to it - and just before it broke on my new big jump kite, I was thinking... farq Im getting a massive yank from the back lines - I hope the bar doesnt break

Also I thought it may break at the ends because I had just replaced the leader lines and c/loop rope etc

No sign of a hairline crack to give it away either, and I did think that point of the bar would be the strongest ?

It really makes you think twice if riding hard, about what you buy - when big brands "wont" advertise break strength of their bars..

Ive had 2 naish bars fail also - on one, the bar pulled apart from the centre alloy centre hole on one side and the other - the leader line pulled straight through the bar end.

wombles
QLD, 42 posts
7 Apr 2014 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

My f-one bandit 4 bar broke and f-one replaced it for free which was awesome of them. Worth checking with the your kite brand. All I had to do was send photos and the serial number of the kite. f-one were great.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
7 Apr 2014 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

it died of a broken heart. dont search for kite gear it affects the kit you have

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
7 Apr 2014 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sadly it must be the case - thinking of another when you are already holding on to the one you trust n like the most

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
7 Apr 2014 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

.. I bent a North bar that was brand new at the time, moments before both steering lines snapped. Wind picked up, so took the missus 14m and downlooped kite after getting short tacked by mate and as the kite shot across the window and directly downwind of me, I dug my heals in and edged super hard like my tree trunk legs could,,, bang,,,, both steering lines snapped!!!! Oh no, missus is gunna kill me!! To my surprize I also found the bar was bent. I suspect under same conditions an old bar probably would have snapped like yours rather than bend!!!

Robbie

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
7 Apr 2014 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

My mate's brand new Naish bar snapped in the very centre...
Could've been a kite trip cut short.
Good lesson not to buy **** brands.

Taurus
VIC, 189 posts
9 Apr 2014 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, I snapped a one year old north bar mid loop, also snapped the front line at the same time.

My question for SaveTheWhales: How can you check the condition of the bar and when do you know when its time to replace it? Or is that just a throw away line?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"old bars can break !!!" started by SaveTheWhales