Forums > Kitesurfing General

re-launching an inverted cabrinha crossbow 3?

Created by djdojo > 9 months ago, 1 Jan 2009
djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
1 Jan 2009 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

hi and happy new year to all. thanks for helpful responses to earlier posts too.

still very much a beginner. last couple of sessions i've been a bit overpowered and have crashed my 12m xbow3 leading edge down and had it invert. i realise i should steer the board upwind if i anticipate the crash to keep the lines tight, but if it gets inverted, how do i re-launch? just pick one back line and pull? scares me a bit having the other lines floating about and trying to wrap round the bar and my arms.
also, if i keep the bar pressure on, doesn't that make the kits crash at full force?

other threads have said a bit about this and emphasized adequate inflation. when i land/launch other cabs at hampton they always seem less inflated than mine, so i guess this is not the issue. (thanks to the hampton crew who've helped me out with my tangled kite too)

do all bows do this so easily? i think the 2:1 bar complicates it as well.

any tips much appreciated.

jackgearo
NSW, 331 posts
1 Jan 2009 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

when u are about to crash instead of trying to keep the bar pulled in to stop the lines going slack try to keep tension on the centre lines (the chicken loop)..... as for when u cant help but to get the kite inverted i just usually pull an outsid line, try not to get tangled and hope for the best.

2 Jan 2009 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

hi and happy new year to all. thanks for helpful responses to earlier posts too.

still very much a beginner. last couple of sessions i've been a bit overpowered and have crashed my 12m xbow3 leading edge down and had it invert. i realise i should steer the board upwind if i anticipate the crash to keep the lines tight, but if it gets inverted, how do i re-launch? just pick one back line and pull? scares me a bit having the other lines floating about and trying to wrap round the bar and my arms.
also, if i keep the bar pressure on, doesn't that make the kits crash at full force?

other threads have said a bit about this and emphasized adequate inflation. when i land/launch other cabs at hampton they always seem less inflated than mine, so i guess this is not the issue. (thanks to the hampton crew who've helped me out with my tangled kite too)

do all bows do this so easily? i think the 2:1 bar complicates it as well.

any tips much appreciated.

Inverted means the struts are on the outside of the kite when it is flying.
Maybe your kite has just rolled through its lines? If it has thats not an invert and you can still safetly fly the kite and it relaunches the same way as usual.

If the kite actually is inverted, see if you can get it to un-invert by partially relaunching and crashing it again and swimming a bit towards it so that it rolls through its lines again, if not relaunch as usual, but be ready to flag the kite to one line (so move the leash to the flagging ring on the front line before attempting a relaunch).

One relauched fly back to beach and sort it out, check LE pressure.
Make sure you are not using the kite in winds beyond its intended range (for 75-80kg riders 25 knots max).

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Gorgo
VIC, 4988 posts
2 Jan 2009 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

The solution to all problems is to grab a single line and wait. The kite will naturally blow to the end of that line and unwind itself.

The worst predicament I get into is an inversion followed by a rollover with one half of the bridle over the top of the kite. I just hang onto one front line and it sorts itself out. Usually the kite has passed through the lines so I go to the beach to sort that out.

If your kite has inverted and relaunched the trick is to not panic. It's still a kite and it can still be depowered. I just grab hold of the trimmers and completely depower the kite then drop it on the water. The worst thing you can do is to panic and haul on the bar.

h20fly
WA, 384 posts
2 Jan 2009 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

i think this got explained but just to give you another version of prety much the same thing

-crash it swim towards it so it looks the same as if you were leaving a kite on its back on the beach
- then grab one of your outside lines and pull it towards you careful to not entangle yourself :) till you see one of the wing tips pick up the wind

- then just leave everything alone the kite will go back into its normal water relaunch state but your lines may be crossed now.

it is possible to sort this out on the water but to hard to explain and you may loose your kite if it goes wrong :) so i wont go through it. best to just go back to the beach and redo your lines.

good luck

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"re-launching an inverted cabrinha crossbow 3?" started by djdojo