Forums > Kitesurfing General

self rescue in the wrong wind direction

Created by diginoz > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2009
diginoz
WA, 317 posts
9 Jan 2009 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Had to do a self rescue only to find the wind blowing me up shore iparallel with the beach about 100 150 m out .do you ditch the kite and swim in ( INFORM WATER POLICE ABOUT KITE IN THE WATER AND YOUR OK ) or am i missing something discussed before .

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
10 Jan 2009 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Diginoz,

If you find yourself no longer getting closer to land, then it's time to deflate the Leading edge ONLY. Don't deflate the struts as they'll give you something to help float your gear. Wrap your lines around the bar, roll the kite around the struts and swim it in.

Click here kiteboardingschool.com.au/index.php/beginner-newbie-tips/tip-15-self-rescue-techniques.html

and here kiteboardingschool.com.au/index.php/beginner-newbie-tips/tip-16-winding-your-lines-in-the-water.html

This should help.

Good winds,

pfr
NSW, 156 posts
10 Jan 2009 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

can this technique be used on a sb2. if you snap a line or bridle is it safe to attatch your leash to the flagging line which is on the steering lines? then making your way to the kite for a self rescue. i think the sb3's have their flagging ring on the center line which makes more sense as a bow kite depowers by tension on the front lines. on the sb2 could it start spinning out of control if it's attatched to the flagging ring in a self rescue situation?

diginoz
WA, 317 posts
10 Jan 2009 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Rolled the lines ok but didnt know about the deflation of main bladder .Im coming in for my next lesson asap .thanks

Flux
WA, 533 posts
10 Jan 2009 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

pfr said...

can this technique be used on a sb2. if you snap a line or bridle is it safe to attatch your leash to the flagging line which is on the steering lines? then making your way to the kite for a self rescue. i think the sb3's have their flagging ring on the center line which makes more sense as a bow kite depowers by tension on the front lines. on the sb2 could it start spinning out of control if it's attatched to the flagging ring in a self rescue situation?

Your rule of thumb is to wind in your 1 tight line a few turns around the bar before winding the rest this stops unintentional power up of the kite.
With the SB2 you must always use this technique i.e remove your safety leash from normal position onto the flagging ring then pull that a meter or so then wind that line around your bar then gather the rest then wind in all and make your way to kite, as for the SB2 spinning thats unavoidable in this senario and no big deal, as it's flattened out.
If you don't do this nd leave your safety leash on the center black line and wind you are infact winding in a kite that can still power up and on short lines trust me you don't want to know what that feels like.
SB3 is totally different the kite turns on its back on flagging line being pulled which is better and safer and easier to manage for the line wind in.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"self rescue in the wrong wind direction" started by diginoz