Forums > Kitesurfing General

skimming the beach

Created by duneskimmer > 9 months ago, 22 Feb 2010
duneskimmer
NSW, 3 posts
22 Feb 2010 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

I have been a dune skimmer for the last 20yrs and watched the sport of Kite Surfing grow rapidly in that time while flying the dunes at Wanda beach. This is were we start and finish mostly (near the heli pad). In recent times, Kitesurfers are enjoying the shallow water skimming (on shore winds) which puts the canopy close to the beach and dunes, my request is that Kitesurfers should be aware of "wake turbulence" which is a real hazard for hangliders on the dunes. I have been "dumped" a few times and on occasions had to give the day away. I would love to join the sport but age is against me as I can see the physical demands on the sport are quite strenuous. Regards and keep safe.

old4dy
NSW, 147 posts
22 Feb 2010 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

No you are not too old, if waters not your scene maybe a buggy will suffice.

If you cant beat them, join them.

sebol
WA, 753 posts
23 Feb 2010 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Full respect mate, your sport certainly looks awesome and it must be an incredible feeling.

Anyone with half a brain would not interfere with your space as you are after all flying 15 meters off the ground and the consequences could be heavy.

Give kiting a go, it is very easy and with your flying and wind experience, I am 100% convinced that you would pick it up in no time indeoendant of your age.

Get a couple of lessons and you will have a new passion in life

Glide in the morning and kite the arvo!!!!! Yeeaaahhhhh

StinkyPete
WA, 241 posts
23 Feb 2010 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Unless ur over 70 never too old!!

snoopy
NSW, 116 posts
23 Feb 2010 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

G'day duneskimmer, welcome to seabreeze.

I kite at Wanda all the time. Thanks for the heads up I had no idea of "wake turbulence". Don't be afraid to come and have a chat to the lads there we are all a good bunch of guys and gals. Would be happy to show you a few things about kiting as well, it's not a strenuous as most people think.

Cheers

Shannon

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
24 Feb 2010 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, there is a guy on the Sunshine Coast who started kite surfing in 2000 when he was in his 60's. If you can hanglide you can definately Kitesurf.

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
24 Feb 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

there is a vid getting around of a 86 yr old codger kite surfing so the age thing is
not a problem,anyone can cruise around with very little effort at all.Go for it .

Supersane
NSW, 174 posts
24 Feb 2010 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

If Richard Branson can do it....

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
25 Feb 2010 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Blownaway said...

there is a vid getting around of a 86 yr old codger kite surfing so the age thing is
not a problem

Don't talk about the Kurnell boys like that...

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
25 Feb 2010 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Duneskimmer, We'll pass on the your message down at Wanda. There's a few of us kiters with grey hair out at Wanda too. Happy to give some tips.

cloudbase
1 posts
7 Apr 2010 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey duneskimmer
I thought the replies you had were so great from the kite boys, I should join up.
These guys are cool I think we should see if they are game to get in the harness for a ground handle of the glider!!!
cloudbase

lex123
NSW, 511 posts
7 Apr 2010 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

cloudbase said...

Hey duneskimmer
I thought the replies you had were so great from the kite boys, I should join up.
These guys are cool I think we should see if they are game to get in the harness for a ground handle of the glider!!!
cloudbase

Sadly this is an uncommonly kind and considerate thread

but onto the main point, Definately confront the kiters and make them aware of "wind turbulence" i'm sure they will appreciate it. And like the other said, if u can hanglide u can definitely kite. i know alot of paragliders kite when the wind becomes too strong 12+. Not sure about what a hanglider requires but maybe there is room to have both.

nuker
QLD, 48 posts
7 Apr 2010 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

I'll take on board the tip. Hadn't thought of it before and I have kited near hangliders in v.light winds.

Keep the positive thread going.....

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
8 Apr 2010 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Great post duneskimmer. Nice to see the rabble behave themselves, although I suspect there is a fair bit of respect for your sport playing a part - good to see.

I used to hanglide. I can guarantee you that kitesurfing is less strenuous than hangliding - if you want it to be.

Most people don't realise that hangliding requires significant upper body fitness. there were many times that I thought I wouldn't even have the strength left to land I was so tired.

Kitesurfing has all the load through the harness and unless you are deliberately pushing yourself (tricks/waves) it can be as stressfull and mowing the lawn!

By all means give it a go. There is a bit of frustration up front but once you are up and running you wont look back.

snoopy
NSW, 116 posts
13 Apr 2010 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

cloudbase said...

Hey duneskimmer
cloudbase

I would be keen to give it a go

Oceaneer
QLD, 182 posts
13 Apr 2010 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Just dont let the HFGA find out your teaching people to ground handle. Im 24 and i current partake in both sports, and if your comfortable with inland thermal flying and sitting at cloud base then you've got the balls to try kiting. But i do find them totally different sports, but as said before it just depends on what extremes you push.

Flipper11
VIC, 356 posts
13 Apr 2010 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

There is allways windsurfing, my friend

thorn
WA, 172 posts
13 Apr 2010 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

How old are you?

thorn
WA, 172 posts
13 Apr 2010 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

How old are you?

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
13 Apr 2010 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for letting us know..... never knew this caused problems for hang glders.

duneskimmer
NSW, 3 posts
16 Apr 2010 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

thorn said...

How old are you?

as in my profile 68 this saturday

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"skimming the beach" started by duneskimmer