Forums > Kitesurfing General

unhooked

Created by Dj Atak > 9 months ago, 13 Mar 2009
Dj Atak
WA, 73 posts
13 Mar 2009 4:19AM
Thumbs Up

im just starting to unhook.im trying to go unhooked fully loaded with the kite in a good position. its hard work to hold it and pop. does it come easier with technique and more muscles, or do you depower the kite first and then unhook??would love to know which one is more common.

HowieD
NSW, 88 posts
13 Mar 2009 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Bear off downwind, unhook, load up your edge and as the kite powers up get your pop. It should be a fairly quick and fluid movement. You shouldn't be unhooking and then riding along and edging against the kite for longer than a second or two as this will just tire you out and you won't generate a good well timed pop.

You can unhook and keep going downwind for a moment but remember that as soon as you start loading up your edge you'll restore tension to the lines (and load against the kite) and this is when you want to time your pop.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
13 Mar 2009 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

you really gota use ur weight when your edging.

lots of people try keep their body upright when they start learning so when they start, so by time your at the point where you want a solid edge most of your weight is hanging over the toeside rail. you really got to lean back a bit as you edge hard then it will help put some power on your edge and to stop the above from happening

79Boarder
NSW, 93 posts
13 Mar 2009 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

i am also starting to unhook. What is the best way to set your kite up on the beach before you head out? at the moment i just unhook and keep adjusting the depower till the kite stops stalling? I have been unhooking on the water and the kite just stalls and falls to the water. maybe i need more wind?
Cheers.

Dj Atak
WA, 73 posts
13 Mar 2009 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

HowieD said...

Bear off downwind, unhook, load up your edge and as the kite powers up get your pop. It should be a fairly quick and fluid movement. You shouldn't be unhooking and then riding along and edging against the kite for longer than a second or two as this will just tire you out and you won't generate a good well timed pop.

You can unhook and keep going downwind for a moment but remember that as soon as you start loading up your edge you'll restore tension to the lines (and load against the kite) and this is when you want to time your pop.

so there is no need to depower???..

HowieD
NSW, 88 posts
13 Mar 2009 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

DJ taka said...

so there is no need to depower???..

If you're not comfortable unhooking then pull in the depower (trim) strap and get used to unhooking and hooking back in. However you will soon find that if you bear off downwind and head towards the kite there will be very little pull and you can comfortably hook yourself back in, even with the kite powered.

You'll soon find you want the kite nicely powered to get the best pop.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
13 Mar 2009 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

The real key is to jimmy up your own chicken loop so your baar sits at a comfortable distance when nearly fully sheeted in, if you ride like this then you never need to pull the trim strap before every trick because it is already set right. this is the key. also travelling alot quicker and bearing off a tad before unhooking makes it tons easier.

the walks
WA, 448 posts
13 Mar 2009 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

79Boarder said...

i am also starting to unhook. What is the best way to set your kite up on the beach before you head out? at the moment i just unhook and keep adjusting the depower till the kite stops stalling? I have been unhooking on the water and the kite just stalls and falls to the water. maybe i need more wind?
Cheers.

When your unhooking you need to be going at pace and dont unhook.... 5mins later you do your trick.
If your kites still stalling try moving your kite left right left right, only a little bit though you dont want to make it harder on you upper body, so just downwind, unhook,edge and pop as hard as you can your body will do the rest unless you dont know what your doing (which is unhelpful and you'll find yourself in midair goin WTF i do next???????.....AHHH CRASH BOOM *lets go of bar*kite hits deck*board behind you*
OMG WHY DID I DO THAT!!!!!! comes next
Im not trying that again*defeats the purpose of progression*
I SUGGEST THE RAILEY
IS A SICK MOVE!!!!!!!

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
13 Mar 2009 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

alot of the time depowering your kite actually makes it harder, i find this with my kties that when i trim them with the depower i cant load and pop nearly as good, think it over flies window too easily? and on SLE kites when you depower alot of the time when you unhook you just start speeding uncontrollably

79Boarder
NSW, 93 posts
14 Mar 2009 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Charl dv said...

alot of the time depowering your kite actually makes it harder, i find this with my kties that when i trim them with the depower i cant load and pop nearly as good, think it over flies window too easily? and on SLE kites when you depower alot of the time when you unhook you just start speeding uncontrollably

Thanks for the help. The only reason i have been depowering is to try and stop the kite stalling. I have only been trying it in light winds. i think i just need to pack my balls next time and do it when its windy.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"unhooked" started by Dj Atak