Forums > Kitesurfing General

where do you want a newb to fly their kite?

Created by harrysurfer > 9 months ago, 1 Jan 2008
harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
1 Jan 2008 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

i don't want to be newbie who gets in people's way and crash my kite into theirs! since im using a c kite and can only relaunch 50 percent of the time i like to practice in waist high deep water. i've kited at pinnaroo and pelican point both seem pretty crazy at times but i don't venture out when the wind is over 18knts. im getting up on the board now and feeling more confident everytime i head out

your input would be greatly appreciated

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Jan 2008 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Harrysurfer,

There are only really a handful of good newbie spots in all of Perth. Melville is good but has gusty wind and no beach, and can get pretty crowded. If you go there, stay downwind of the main crowd.

Pinnaroo can be busy, has large chop in strong wind, deep water, and during holidays, loads of other beach users, a steep learning curve but probably one of the safest spots around (especially if we're there with the boat to help rescue when things get ugly).

Mullaloo is good but they also have issues with the public and the flagged swimming areas. Can have some nice small waves to jump off.

Peli point isn't an ideal learner area as there are so many sensitive issues there including but not limited to bird conservation area, pedestrian pathway, no beach, rocks etc.

Woodies can be ok on the onshore beach, but going downwind can be a worry

Safety Bay is probably one of the best areas and works well in SE to SW. There are issues there too with some of the windsurfers, but it isn't as crowded as other spots.

All areas have their pro's and con's. It will probably be more determined by proximity to where you live. Get to know the locals at your closest beach and ask them where you won't be in the way. Remember, everyone was a beginner once and you are only a learner for a short time if you put your mind to it.

Good winds,

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
1 Jan 2008 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

cheers kitehard

Kalavas
WA, 146 posts
1 Jan 2008 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Given that AKS is up at Pinaroo, I think it's pretty reasonable for people to expect newbies to kite there when they are working on their skill after they complete lessons...

I don't think anyone can really complain, just as long as you know your right of way rules.

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
1 Jan 2008 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

If you are going to be kiting in the ocean, start from there.
Thats what i did. Two lessons at woodies, one run at leighton, straight to local beach in plenty(it was BIG my first week of kiting there, and got some awesome nailings) of swell. Best way to learn to relaunch is having to do it often and in challenging conditions, really pushes you then.
But kitehards advice is probably best

MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
29 Jan 2008 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

harrysurfer said...

i don't want to be newbie who gets in people's way and crash my kite into theirs! since im using a c kite and can only relaunch 50 percent of the time i like to practice in waist high deep water. i've kited at pinnaroo and pelican point both seem pretty crazy at times but i don't venture out when the wind is over 18knts. im getting up on the board now and feeling more confident everytime i head out

Good question harrysurfer, and as a real noobie in WA, one who's answers I am also interested in. Since I live in Doubleview I will probably try to get up to Pinaroo Point. I had some lessons on the river (Lucky Bay) and appreciated the ability to be able to stand up after stacking it, but yeah, does get a little crowded on that tiny strip of sand, and it's probably better if I am forced to learn how to relaunch without standing up

Kitehard (AKS), please keep an eye out for a blue and pink 2008 North Rebel, and take pity on me as I trudge back up the beach from a great distance downwind

Kalavas
WA, 146 posts
29 Jan 2008 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

For the love of god don't head too far down the beach at Pinaroo. If you get to far down the wind tends to get a little gusty, then you'll have all sorts of trouble re-launching / keeping it up.

trevor1
WA, 598 posts
29 Jan 2008 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Learner's common mistake at Peli is to stay close in to the launching area near the wall.

This is the worst place to learn given gusty sh1tty wind, no marging for error, and most annoyingly, right in the way of everyone coming and going to land and launch.

Head out a bit at least past the fence. Plenty of room, plenty of water, and plenty of margin for error if you stay outside the buoys. In addition, less chance of giving others the sh1ts as plenty more room for them to avoid you.

If you have friends, get them to launch you out as far as possible. If not, ask others politely.

My two cents!

bighen
WA, 25 posts
29 Jan 2008 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

bit of a drive but mandurah estuary is great not too many kites at the best of time and only waist deep locals are friendly too and if you look hard ,theres great places that no one goes

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
29 Jan 2008 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

MellowYellow said...

harrysurfer said...

Good question harrysurfer, and as a real noobie in WA, one who's answers I am also interested in. Since I live in Doubleview I will probably try to get up to Pinaroo Point. I had some lessons on the river (Lucky Bay) and appreciated the ability to be able to stand up after stacking it, but yeah, does get a little crowded on that tiny strip of sand, and it's probably better if I am forced to learn how to relaunch without standing up

Kitehard (AKS), please keep an eye out for a blue and pink 2008 North Rebel, and take pity on me as I trudge back up the beach from a great distance downwind

i ve been heading to melville and staying downwind of the gum tree still plenty of room if you drift. luckily i am now up and going and can go up wind so im stoked no more long walks back . went kiting on thurs(2nd time trying with the board)friday (just starting to go upwind) sat (it all started to click) sunday(had a ball) mon(4 hours mad fun) unfortunately couldnt kite today too buggered sunburnt, and sore eyes. melville is a bit crazy when its busy. im ready to hit the ocean i will start at pinnaroo if all goes to **** a 6pack of beer for my friends at kitehard.

aido
WA, 50 posts
29 Jan 2008 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

a good spot is south of south beach hardly any one goes there just inbetween the two groins. i learnt there useing fuels it was great u can crash & f up as much as u like. thers not too many poeple on the beach either.turn of on rollinson rd dont leave or take down anything valueble in your car or it will go.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
30 Jan 2008 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

I wouldn't recommend Mullaloo for absolute beginners because of the waves, and amount of families that go there, especially during school holidays and when the wind is light. Over the last week or two I have seen many near misses (or should that be near hits) with kites crashing on the beach within metres of small children etc.
If you are going to go to Mullaloo or anywhere else to learn please be aware that the general public have no idea of the dangers a crashed kite present, it is up to the kiters to try to keep there kites away from other beach goers not for the public to try and dodge/keep out of the way of out of control kites.
If you are heading to Mullaloo please do not go out near the surf club, head north to the end of the fence line to launch and if body dragging or losing ground down wind try to come back to shore before you get to far north as there is usually a lot more people the further North you go. And if there are people on the beach where you want to come in come in down wind of them.
Where ever you choose to learn please make sure you have lessons from a qualified instructor, have fun but stay safe and try not to put other beachgoers in danger, we want to keep all the beaches open for kiting.

siwalker
WA, 195 posts
30 Jan 2008 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

I agree that Safety bay is a very good spot to learn, but this refers to the western side of the sand bar at Safety bay or Shoalwater bay/ Penguin Island. Too many learners are rocking up to the pond at Safety bay, and I think with windsurfers waning patience and increasing frustration, the large trees that sit down wind of your kite when you wash up on the downwind side of the pond, not to mention the power lines and road that sit just behind said trees!

Head to the Rockingham area for a kite; as a newbe, there are some beautiful beaches to learn on, but avoid the pond area, as it does get crowded, and could be dangerous washing up on the downwind side of the pond.

The best spots, are at Penguin Island, or on the western side of the point at safety bay, provided you walk out along the sand spit to give yourself plenty of space

meerkat
WA, 644 posts
30 Jan 2008 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

East coast of australia is by far the best. They have the lightest wind, the friendliest locals and the hottest birds.

Safety bay nowdays is so crowded i wouldn't recommend it, what with speed merchants windsurfers who go really really really fast in a straight line(my heroes) and the pond inhabited with all and sundry trying new tricks.

Penguin island side isn't bad, but the water soon becomes to deep to stand and many a newbie gets dragged 100m or so woodies style till the beach curves around.

Basic rule of thumb: Check the wind/wave conditions(direction/strength), crowded-ness of spot and assess your ability to stay clear of other beach users. Your instructor should have given you a baisc run down on where to go and in what conditions.

Farva
WA, 21 posts
30 Jan 2008 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Mullaloo isent to bad, as it doesnt ussually get to crowded and when the breeze hits there will usually only be people at northerly end of the beach, so you dont really need to worry about hitting them, and there is plenty of space downwind of the other riders there, but the lumps of swell coming through in mullaloo can get big for a beginner. Most of the time it is a pretty good place to ride.

Pinnaroo does get quite busy, so you might want to ride just downwind of everybody where the water is alot flatter than mullaloo, but there is more people on the beach most of the time, and on a hot day you have to look out for jetskiis and boats aswell as other kiters.

At pinnaroo you will always have someone there who you can ask for advice or help (AKS is there every day its windy) and most people on the absolute point have at least some of an idea about what we kiters do when we launch and land our kites.

At mullaloo hardly anyone (apart from the kiters) has any clue what you are doing, so if you are there by yourself make sure you can self launch and self land and you will always need to be aware of everybody when you are on the beach. If you ever come to mullaloo im happy to help look out for a 15yr old with either a red or a blue airush flow. Im down there most days its windy.

Hope that helped

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"where do you want a newb to fly their kite?" started by harrysurfer