Forums > Kitesurfing General

windsurfer lessons by Zoo @ kiddies pool st Kilda

Created by amclean > 9 months ago, 5 Feb 2013
amclean
VIC, 33 posts
5 Feb 2013 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

I can't believe that The Zoo shop gave beginner windsurfer lessons in the wave line at the Catani Garden's Beach (Kiddy pool) last Saturday (2/2/13). The kiddy pool wave line is the most hotly contested area for kiting in Melbourne and the Zoo gave lessons to windsurfers for hours in the middle of the zone. Not only is it a breach of the no lessons in that area agreement, it was dangerous and stupid. Not only dangerous to the beginners who were inches away from being hit as the kiters wove in a and around them, it was dangerous to the kiters as we also had to avoid each other. The Zoo made no friends that day and I hope reconsiders such folly in the future.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
5 Feb 2013 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds more dangerous to the people they were teaching, imagine if someone they knew saw them? That's the kind of sh1t someone would never recover from.....

amclean
VIC, 33 posts
5 Feb 2013 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

From the Zu. I think a fair response. So we're all happy again.

Thanks for your feedback. We really appreciate it.

As you know The Zu Provides lessons for beginners for Kiteboarding, Windsurfing and Stand Up Paddle Boarding.

We try to accommodate all sports and time our lessons so it fits in with local usage. We are kiteboarders ourselves and we also like to keep the sports/lessons separated.

We normally only run our Windsurfing and Sup beginner lessons in the morning before the wind kicks in. This is to make sure they don't interfere with the kiteboarding that is usually done in the afternoon.

Royal Melbourne yacht Club also teaches sailing in the morning in this area as it is a official shared windsports area and is not exclusive to kiteboarding.

On the given day we unfortunately had to re- schedule the customers lesson from the morning to the afternoon due to personal reasons.

So please expect to see windsurfing in this area only in the morning or in sub 15 knot conditions.

I hope this addressed your concerns and we apologies for any inconvenience .

Please feel free to also drop into the store for a chat if there are any issues in the future.

Cheers,
The Zu Boardsports

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
5 Feb 2013 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

amclean said...

As you know The Zu Provides lessons for beginners for Kiteboarding, Windsurfing and Stand Up Paddle Boarding.

We try to accommodate all sports and time our lessons so it fits in with local usage. We are kiteboarders ourselves and we also like to keep the sports/lessons separated.

We normally only run our Windsurfing and Sup beginner lessons in the morning before the wind kicks in. This is to make sure they don't interfere with the kiteboarding that is usually done in the afternoon.

Royal Melbourne yacht Club also teaches sailing in the morning in this area as it is a official shared windsports area and is not exclusive to kiteboarding.

On the given day we unfortunately had to re- schedule the customers lesson from the morning to the afternoon due to personal reasons.

So please expect to see windsurfing in this area only in the morning or in sub 15 knot conditions.

Please feel free to also drop into the store for a chat if there are any issues in the future.

Cheers,
The Zu Boardsports

Actually I don't see it as a fair response. When we (kiters and KBV) met with the schools to discuss zoning it was agreed that there would be NO teaching, not discretionary teaching based on convenience or personal issues. It's not up to the schools to decide when it's convenient to them to teach in the pond, it's simply not an option. I can understand the Royal Melbourne yacht club but when it comes to schools, it's simply not up to them to decide when they feel like doing their lessons in areas not allocated for teaching. What next? Another schools decides to have their lessons in the pond because someone accidentally double booked? Sorry guys, I understand its an inconvenience but that's life.

If I seem like I'm being harsh, it's because this is contrary to the agreement. The kiddies pond is not a shared teaching area, it's a non teaching area, wind or no wind. What happens if you start a lesson in sub 15 and it picks up? Do you really see the instructor stopping for kiters?

Sorry guys, I'm going to hold firm and do whatever I can to make sure this doesn't happen.

Cluffy
NSW, 414 posts
6 Feb 2013 3:44AM
Thumbs Up

regardless of who has claim on the area, the school is running a business there and this opens up an O,H&S can of worms. It comes down to duty of care, everyone at work has it for anyone who may be affected by your work. You can sign all the legal disclaimers you want, if you fail in you duty of care and someone gets hurt you could be in trouble.

salt
VIC, 616 posts
6 Feb 2013 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...
amclean said...

Cheers,
The Zu Boardsports

Actually I don't see it as a fair response. When we (kiters and KBV) met with the schools to discuss zoning it was agreed that there would be NO teaching, not discretionary teaching based on convenience or personal issues. It's not up to the schools to decide when it's convenient to them to teach in the pond, it's simply not an option. I can understand the Royal Melbourne yacht club but when it comes to schools, it's simply not up to them to decide when they feel like doing their lessons in areas not allocated for teaching. What next? Another schools decides to have their lessons in the pond because someone accidentally double booked? Sorry guys, I understand its an inconvenience but that's life.

If I seem like I'm being harsh, it's because this is contrary to the agreement. The kiddies pond is not a shared teaching area, it's a non teaching area, wind or no wind. What happens if you start a lesson in sub 15 and it picks up? Do you really see the instructor stopping for kiters?

Sorry guys, I'm going to hold firm and do whatever I can to make sure this doesn't happen.

^ Nice one Saffer

amclean
VIC, 33 posts
6 Feb 2013 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again. So all assistance appreciated.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
7 Feb 2013 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

amclean said...
I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again. So all assistance appreciated.

That's exactly my point and why I don't find the response reasonable.

In the letter they state "expect to see windsurfing in this area on mornings or in sub 15 knots"

So it means this will continue to be a problem any time any time we have kiteable wind in the morning or in the afternoon where they conduct a lesson and the wind picks up.

amclean
VIC, 33 posts
8 Feb 2013 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

happy to put together a stronger response. Will KBV have an opinion?

manicskier
VIC, 772 posts
8 Feb 2013 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

amclean said...
Will KBV have an opinion?

Doubt it

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
8 Feb 2013 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

amclean said...
happy to put together a stronger response. Will KBV have an opinion?

I already contacted them. They're going to be getting in touch with them.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"windsurfer lessons by Zoo @ kiddies pool st Kilda" started by amclean