12 Apr 2010 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 85kg,intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Boosting
Weather: 15-25 knots
Build Quality: 8/10
Satisfaction: 8/10

My Comments:

This kite boosts really huge. I've tried couple of other kites (Griffin, F-One Bandit, Switchblade) and I can say that this kite will outperform them in hanging time and height.

Quality of the kite is normal. No fancy things like on Cabrinhas, very simple bridle, very simple (but effective) one pump system. It has some small features that are very handy: struts that can bend and your kite is more secured against the wind; stopper on the bar, anti-twist rings.

Things I don't like: relaunch is little bit difficult in light wind. In light wind it's better to launch it like a C-type kite. In strong winds (over 20knots) just pull rear line.

Also safety release system is not 100% proof. You need to pull handle precisely down (to you) to open chicken loop. Kite won't release if there is no pull from it.

I'm happy with the kite and it's on the same level as other brandname kites, however I've paid 3 times less money

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
10 May 2010 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yo Cisco,

I have the 12m 09 Thruster also.

Pretty happy with it too. Correct about the boosting. It goes BIG!

Rider: 85kg -intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Boosting some small wave slop
Weather: 15-25 knots
Build Quality: 8/10
Satisfaction: 8/10

Pros:
Great boosts - with easy landings
Good upwind
Good top end (25kts is still fine for me)
Good turning speed for a big-ish kite
Very stable for a higher aspect kite. It's not quite as stable as the Nano but no slouch by any means - swinging accidentally under the kite is no drama.

Cons:
Bottom end not amazing (compared to the Nano) but moving the kite to generate apparent wind works well and the bottom end is fine in the end.
Relaunch - Over 20kts = fine, under 20kts = a tad fiddly. Anything under 15kts = relaunch is very fiddly.
Safety is ok but there are better systems out there.

oscar1
84 posts
10 May 2010 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

i have had thrusters for a year now. They are a awesome boosting kite. Well built and handle gusts reasonably well. Not as good as bow kites though.Relaunch is crap in light winds. 15 knots on my 12 is ok but anything less can be fiddly.I have 6 ,8 ,12 and 14. The 6 is an amazing boosting kite but not overly floaty.The 8 is my favorite.For the cost its hard for any kite to come close to the thrusters. Shame the company is pretty much defunct now

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 Eclipse Thruster 12m" started by Ciscoexpert