Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2010 slingy octanes

Created by hotballs > 9 months ago, 21 Jan 2010
hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
21 Jan 2010 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

anyone else having problems with thier octanes falling out of the sky?can i tune it out?

jordy
SA, 451 posts
21 Jan 2010 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

No offense dude but it must be you.

The thing i've noticed about these is they NEVER feel like they are going to fall out of the sky.

Best system set up-

Front lines have set on the middle knot.

Rear lines have set on the knot further-est away from the kite.

Doesn't matter what bar pressure setting you use.

Oh, and piss off those pig tails.

extreme
VIC, 74 posts
22 Jan 2010 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

it must be you hotballs
oh yeah, does taking pigtails count off as tuning it

hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
23 Jan 2010 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

doesnt happen with the 13 but the 9 and 7 both do it. pigtails already gone. must be me when my missus is flying the kite as well huh, and must also be me when other people at the beach are having the same problem, but i will try you knot thing, cheers, anyone else got advice?

Radman
WA, 629 posts
23 Jan 2010 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

maybe the lack of feedback 2 the bar, as the bar preasure is super light.probly not a problem for the unhookd crew.

ParisMan
WA, 10 posts
24 Jan 2010 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

While Jordy's kites might be from a rare batch of Slingshot 7 and 9 metre octanes that don't luff and fall out of the sky it is becoming increasingly evident that there is a design fault / bridle fault in alot of these kites. Do not fear hotballs it is definitely not you. You dont have to google to far to see the evidence from multiple users of these kites. I've been kiting for 8 years and owned heaps of kites and when they have fallen out of the sky it has been something I did, but these things surge forward in a gust then just go plonk. I have friends who just purchased some also and they have had the same thing happen to them on many occassions. If you cant stand on the beach with your kite above you in strong winds and feel safe that it isnt going to send you flyin there is something very wrong. I am going to confront slingshot over this shortly. They need to acknowledge this problem and present a solution as someone is going to get hurt. These are awesome fun kites otherwise.

ParisMan
WA, 10 posts
24 Jan 2010 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeah, and for those people who think that tuning the kite to a different knot setting is going to do anything at all to solve this problem you need to go back to school.

mantis5
QLD, 159 posts
24 Jan 2010 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

ParisMan said...

Oh yeah, and for those people who think that tuning the kite to a different knot setting is going to do anything at all to solve this problem you need to go back to school.

finally someone with common sense!

hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
25 Jan 2010 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

yeah i tried to confront slingshot with this and they answered with "gonzalo estevez will deal with your enquiry" but good ole gonzalo seems to be busy with other stuff to answer to the hotballs, . it seems that they are too aerodynamic and as you say they surge forward over your head and then stall , dip the leading edge down and dive to the ground or till the lines go tight .i reckon i will piss them off and get something else, just dont know what.

RayQ
WA, 635 posts
26 Jan 2010 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

I have owned the REV 1, REV2, and now the OCTANES in 9m, 11m and 13m

These kites are a progression of the previous model and Slingshot has managed to pull of a better kite every year.
I read a lot of reviews of kites on Forums, and many kites are aimed at the beginner or entry market,
In my view Octanes are not aimed at the bottom end unskilled rider, standing on the beach, kite totally depowerd, lines slack and maybe chatting to a mate.
If your out there on the water, riding and getting all these great kites are able to deliver, there is no way they will fall out of the sky.
Heres the answer,

ITS YOUR FAULT !

I suggest you get a different kite out of the Slingshot range of kites.

Its sort of like, not every one wants to drive a Volvo, so Slingshot has made a sports car, and not all have or ever will have the skill to drive this sweet machine.

hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
27 Jan 2010 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

having had the rev 2 before these i agree that they are a bit nicer to fly but i have also come unstuk after stuffing up on a big jump and had the kite do this as well,which the rev2 never did, so yeah, maybe they are aimed at the top level rider only,which i doubt.It happened to a friend who tried my kite as well who is a very compotent kiter. even hadlow and lenten **** up so for a kite this unforgiving i dont think its me. anyway, me , i can almost live with it, but as i share kites with my missus, she cant live with it as it will put her into the wall or trees or accross a busy road one day and i certainly dont want that to happen. and if they are advanced kites only , why are the shops selling them to beginners?

ParisMan
WA, 10 posts
27 Jan 2010 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Sports cars shouldn't fall out of the sky for now reason

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
27 Jan 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

I am by no means experienced at kiting. Only been riding for 12 months and am about to purchase an Octane for my second kite after ditching a Havoc. I found the Octane to be one of the only kites that i can just use with ease. The first time i took out a demo 11m in about 15 knots it did fall and i was told to try just a small amount of de power. It has never happened since.

Sasha
VIC, 103 posts
28 Jan 2010 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jas 73,
try rebel 2010,
yest it's $ brand, but worth it:)
good luck.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
28 Jan 2010 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that . I will give one a go. It amazes me just how much difference there is in kites. Some look almost identical in design but ride totally different. I could ride the Octane up and down the beach all day but then go out with something else and struggle. I know that comes down to rider experience but still it can be a huge difference.

ParisMan
WA, 10 posts
29 Jan 2010 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

I hope I haven't put anyone off of buying an Octane because these are truly magnificent kites and brilliant in waves. They do fall out of the sky every now and then, some more than others by the sounds of it but I'd buy another one. It's just flaming frustrating that Slingshot didn't get this Perfect when they've come so close .You get to know when it has a chance of doing it and avoid it.

hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
30 Jan 2010 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

so you think that there is nothing in the set-up as far as bridle lenghts or which knot i use that really effects this? i do agree with you about the performance of the kite, i like to fly them but am worried about my missus getting caught out whilst on the beach.

hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
30 Jan 2010 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

and jas73, apparently the griffin argo could be right down your alley too. try and demo one, plus they are cheaper and homegrown

ParisMan
WA, 10 posts
30 Jan 2010 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

I pull the bar stopper ball down a fair bit when on the beach to stop the kite depowering too much, this helps a bit.

RayQ
WA, 635 posts
31 Jan 2010 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Main thing is to not try and fly in too light winds, or to de-power the kite unless your over powered on the water. I have taken the short bit of line extension out, and suspect its in there mainly for guys that ride unhooked all the time.

Use front line longest setting of pigtails and back lines middle setting.
I never change this for 90% of the time unless I know its going to nuke and then use equal settings all round.
As said, dont pull in the depower unless your over powerd.
If its gusting up and down a lot, dont stand on the the beach just looking up at your kite, it may just luff eventually. Get out on the water, or at least fly the kite at 10 or 2 O clock over the water. Keep this in mind when giving the kite to your missus.
And dont pull the stopper half way down unless your on the water, just hold the bar half way the 2/3 in so you can let go if problems arise.
I have yet to witness this dropping out of the sky phenomenon I really would like to see how this is supposed to happen.

juggler
VIC, 243 posts
5 Feb 2010 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

I can't coment on the octane but my slingy turbo diesel use to fall out of the sky in a gust, must be a bridle kite thing as the fuels don't do it Super Stable

axis
VIC, 399 posts
6 Feb 2010 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

juggler said...

I can't coment on the octane but my slingy turbo diesel use to fall out of the sky in a gust, must be a bridle kite thing as the fuels don't do it Super Stable

good to see you are adding value at last.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 slingy octanes" started by hotballs