howea
NSW, 40 posts
9 Nov 2010 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 85Kg's, Intermediate - Advanced
Style: Surf, Freestyle
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10

If your after an allrounder, particullary for surfing, get yourself a Griffin Argo, you won't be dissapointed.

I just got hold of the 2011 Griffin 10m Argo a few days ago and had a couple of fantastic sessions on it.

1st session - 20 - 25knts gusty cross/onshore, 4ft lefts on default settings;
2nd session - 18 -20knts cross/offshore 4-6ft lefts on different setting (AB46).

About the settings:

The Argo has 4 diffrent settings on the leading edge and three on the back to enable you to alter the position of the lines. This enables you to alter the settings depending on the conditions and style you want ride (freestyle/wave), to change the way the kite flys through the air and to change the bar pressure (light/heavy).

The difference wasn't huge between the 2 settings I used but the AB46 setting had silighty better top end grunt, faster turning and better response in the lighter conditions.

I'd been looking for a ages for a kite that that was good for surfing and tried a few different modles with no success, so I went to the forum section for advise, a heap of posts mentioned the Argo along with some other models. So I got in contact with Chris from Griffin and purchased the 10m Argo.

Few comments:

1. Super responsive, smooth and easy to control;
2. Unbelievable drift down the line when on a wave, even in cross/onshore conditions, it didn't stall once, something I hadn't experienced in other kites I've flown;
3. The auto relaunch is unbelievable, I hit the deck once or twice in testy conditions and soon as I came up out of the water it worked its way into the window without any help from me, then straight-up into the air with a bit of bar pressure, great when you need to get out of the impact zone fast, especially when a wave's about to land on your head after getting nailed;
4. Easy self launching/landing with any technique I tried;
5. Only jumped a couple of times, but when I did pop, I drifted for heaps and the landings were super smooth, great control through the air;
6. I'd have to say, best kite I've flown to date (and I've flown a few);

Theres no centre strut and I reckon it makes a huge difference in the way the kite holds the the wind, enabling it to drift down the line with you on a wave. I'm still beaming after just a couple of sessions and hanging to get out there again.

For me it's opened up a whole new level of wave riding, I'm not worried about the Kite stalling anymore which means I can concentrate on surfing. I'm stoked

I recommend this kite to anyone. If you wan't a great surfing kite, give the Argo a go. Quality materials, well priced, based on the east coats of Australia, fast delivery and an insane kite. Well done Griffin.

I'll post some photos when I finally get some.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
9 Nov 2010 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the review .my findings also with this kite

Are the reef breaks on lord Howe kiteable ?/
Also try AA on the centre bridle .I have found even faster turns and better lightwind ability

thanks

Lach

howea
NSW, 40 posts
9 Nov 2010 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, totally kiteable cross/off in 2 spots, good lefthanders, and a couple of average cross/on spots, rights and lefts. Great for surfing in offshore though

Hopefully get some photos in the next couple of weeks with the Argo in flight.

radman4
678 posts
9 Nov 2010 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Been flying Griff's for a few years now and absolutely love them, got a 011 10 argo myself and totally agree,awesome kite ,rode the 6.5 Chimera the other day and it absolutely blew me away, will get my arse into gear and post a review, cos the kite was mind blowing it was so good.Im still grinning.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 10M Griffin Argo" started by howea