Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Griffin Argo

Created by 23Jetty > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2010
23Jetty
SA, 16 posts
30 Aug 2010 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

I have heard good reviews about the 2010 Argo 9m and was wondering if there is any news/reviews on 2011 model. Can't see anything on the Monkey Kites Website

Smedg
NSW, 836 posts
30 Aug 2010 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Ask this guy if you want info from the source.

www.seabreeze.com.au/Members/Profile/Details.aspx?member=GriffinKites

radman4
678 posts
30 Aug 2010 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

23Jetty said...

I have heard good reviews about the 2010 Argo 9m and was wondering if there is any news/reviews on 2011 model. Can't see anything on the Monkey Kites Website

Hi we have been testing different models of both the 011 Argo and 011 Chimera over the last couple of months ,i've spent most of the time on the 10 Argo and 10.5 Chimera,the new Argo has undergone a lot of changes and has more torque and speed than previously,it also features beefed up struts and a new shorter bridal,if you contact chris at griffin he should be able to organise a demo for you,the Chimera is a totally new kite incorperating the best features of the Griffin and the Argo ,it comes with two bridal options totally pulleyless or single pulley,it can be switched between the two options in under a minute ,i have ridden it a number of times in anything from 12 -33 knots in both configurations and love them both,this kite is unreal so try to get a demo on one.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
31 Aug 2010 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

radman4 said...

23Jetty said...

Hi we have been testing different models of both the 011 Argo and 011 Chimera over the last couple of months ,i've spent most of the time on the 10 Argo and 10.5 Chimera,the new Argo has undergone a lot of changes and has more torque and speed than previously,it also features beefed up struts and a new shorter bridal,if you contact chris at griffin he should be able to organise a demo for you,the Chimera is a totally new kite incorperating the best features of the Griffin and the Argo ,it comes with two bridal options totally pulleyless or single pulley,it can be switched between the two options in under a minute ,i have ridden it a number of times in anything from 12 -33 knots in both configurations and love them both,this kite is unreal so try to get a demo on one.

hey radman can you give us abit more of a reveiw on these kites, or is it still to early into development?.
Also have you got any pics?

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
31 Aug 2010 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Is the argo still the surf kite, what a great kite that has been, feel sorry for those caught up in advertising and hype ,may never get to try an awesome kite,keep up the good work chris. When to be released ?

23Jetty
SA, 16 posts
31 Aug 2010 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like nobody who gives these Kites a go is stoked with them. Might be time to join them, thanks for the info

radman4
678 posts
1 Sep 2010 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

23Jetty said...

Sounds like nobody who gives these Kites a go is stoked with them. Might be time to join them, thanks for the info

Sorry mate but you've lost me a bit here does that mean you want to try them or dont want to,your loss if you dont, in my opinion the new chimera would give any 010-011 bow a run for its money(and quite a few a good hiding),i'll get a review organised the next few days ,the 011 chimera and argo are avail now ,i have already had 2 orders of these kites sent and all sold out and have another 6 being made up now all presold.

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
1 Sep 2010 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Our website is getting redone as it's out of date, but you can see some picts of Aya on her trip, congrats to her getting 1st place in a freestyle comp against 25 kiter chicks on a 9m 2011 Argo.

http://griffinkites.com.au/2011-images

Ps, Typo in your message? "Sounds like nobody" "Sounds like anybody"

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
1 Sep 2010 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

hey Chris can you explain to us the differences between the 2011 argo and the 2010 argo.

can you also tell us what sort of kiter the argo is aimed at verse the chimera.

cheers

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
1 Sep 2010 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Below video from yesterday, winds light ( no white caps ). 2011 Argo 10m

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
1 Sep 2010 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

bennie said...

hey Chris can you explain to us the differences between the 2011 argo and the 2010 argo.

can you also tell us what sort of kiter the argo is aimed at verse the chimera.

cheers

Changes from 2010 to 2011 Argo
Shorter bridle for faster turning and response, top end wind range improved, grunty bottom end still there, Faster controlled turning.

The Chimera is something I have been working on quietly, I wanted the best of a high aspect and low aspect kite, with a simple bridle and the option for no pulleys, or 2 pulleys ( hot swapable ). Very fast turning, largest wind range posable, huge jumps, lots of float, auto relaunch and something that is a lot of fun, I am getting some demos in and will add more info about it soon. I think I am the first to design this Hot Swap option for a pulley / non pulley kite. New Zealand have been playing with them and feedback has been great.

Argo is ideal for waves and free ride with its grunt and depower and fast turning settings, it is the most adjustable kite on the market, it is also ideal for schools and learners with the auto relaunch, slow turning settings, super stability, massive depower when you let go of the bar and massive wind range.

23Jetty
SA, 16 posts
1 Sep 2010 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

My apologies to those who have offered comment on my questions, bad typing. What I meant to say was from the postings nobody had a bad word to say (only positive) So looking forward to giving it a go

allano
WA, 172 posts
1 Sep 2010 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi 23jetty
Changed over to Argo last year.
Great kites, easy to fly, Good wind range and it looks good
I love it.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
2 Sep 2010 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

What are the kite sizes for this year? same colours.

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
2 Sep 2010 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

What are the kite sizes for this year? same colours.

Hi, Argo, 7 9 10 11.5 13.5
Chimera 6 8 10 13
Griffin 7 9 10.5 12 14 16

red black and green, green is coming out in a month, red black is ready now

Colors shown here

http://griffinkites.com.au/2011-images

EW
QLD, 10 posts
2 Sep 2010 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

How many struts does Chimera have, can't quite make out from the pics? Is it also 4 strut?

Out of Argo, Chimera and Griffin which is most suited to freestyle/wakestyle and unhooking?

Tommy123
QLD, 138 posts
2 Sep 2010 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

i rode griffin kites for 2 yrs in that time i used 08 09 010 kites they came along in leaps and bounds and have become a nice kite they still have a little way to come but u will not b dissapointed with there performance

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
2 Sep 2010 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

EW said...

How many struts does Chimera have, can't quite make out from the pics? Is it also 4 strut?

Out of Argo, Chimera and Griffin which is most suited to freestyle/wakestyle and unhooking?

4 strut for the Argo and Chimera. I prefer 4 over 6 struts, makes for a lighter feeling kite,

Which is most suited to freestyle/wakestyle and unhooking?

Hard to say right now, I will be demoing it out this Saturday at Kurnell. A local Kiter girl just went overseas for a kite trip on a new 2011 Argo 9m, she entered a freestyle comp against 25 pro girls ( perhaps not all pro ) freestyle riders. Winds were light, the rider picked to win was on a 13m and was not staying upwind or jumping well, The Argo 9m was jumping and staying upwind, and won the comp, or was it the rider who won the comp. It was a good result.

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
2 Sep 2010 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Tommy123 said...

i rode griffin kites for 2 yrs in that time i used 08 09 010 kites they came along in leaps and bounds and have become a nice kite they still have a little way to come but u will not b dissapointed with there performance

Thanks for your post, this year we have redone the bar completely with a push away release, we have also added a lot of reinforcements to the kites. I will post the info on the 2011 this weekend. 08 09 kites where not fully designed by me, the 2010 and 2011 are. 2008 2009 had a different designer and used rip stop and was under a different name. the 2010 and 2011 use Teijin canopy - the best canopy cloth available.

radman4
678 posts
7 Sep 2010 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Tommy123 said...

Mate i think there was just a time warp ,the new Chimera is so awesome you wont believe it,a classic instance is i had a guy ride the new 10.5 Chimera the other day in a gusty 14-28 knot's of wind he was out for about an hour ,when he came in he said "mate i owe you an apology" to which i replied "why" and he said he had told a few guys i was full of **** about how good i was saying this kite was,and after he'd flown it he was blown away,now he's saving for one, true story,well worth tracking down a demo.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
16 Sep 2010 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Radman, you sound like your loving the chimera, i have been riding the 9m argo for 8 months love it. 70kg on surfboard, riding waves and jumping, is there an improvement on the new argo ,or would you jump on the chimera 9m ? thanks

radman4
678 posts
16 Sep 2010 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Havent tried the new 9 argo yet but have ridden the 10 about a half doz times and its a huge improvement on last years,even more stable more grunt, quicker and bigger windrange the 10 is as quick as last years 9,if you were thinking of changing the 10.5 would be the kite in the chimera to replace the 9 argo.
i had the 10 m argo out in over 30 knots the other day the boost and float was unreal, and have had the 10.5 chimera out in anything from 13-35 ,my preffered kite at the moment for most riding is the 10.5 chimera as its just about as close as i can get to a one kite quiver,however i sold my demo the other day and now im missing it ,but my new one should be here anytime and its a custom so looks hottttt, will post some pics when i get it.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
16 Sep 2010 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Whats your weight radman? are you into the waves on the chimera. does the the chimera 10.5 turn like the argo.

radman4
678 posts
16 Sep 2010 6:22AM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

Whats your weight radman? are you into the waves on the chimera. does the the chimera 10.5 turn like the argo.

I'm 98 kg and am mainly into wave riding, boosting,the 10.5 with the single pulley is quicker than the 10 argo,(i did a bit of a mod on my one to get it turning quicker) chris has also sent me a mini bridle to try on the 10.5 to see how much quicker we can get it turning but sadly i dont have the kite, as soon as the new kites arrive i'll put it on and test it, i used to think the 010 argo's were quick but they are way slower than the new ones.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
16 Sep 2010 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Is that adjustment standard on the new chimera, also is boost bigger on the chimera ,upwind capabilities?

radman4
678 posts
16 Sep 2010 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

I would say boost is about the same ,the argo prob has a bit more float but its marginal,the 011 has more float than the 010 though,if the mini bridal works it will become avail with the kites,i reacon it will work but time will tell, am itching to try it might have to get one of the guys to come up this weekend and throw it on their 10.5.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Griffin Argo" started by 23Jetty