WA, 3848 posts
5 Oct 2010 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 90kg, intermediate
Style: Surf & Freestyle
Weather: 18-23 knots
Disclosure: North sponsor Seabreeze.com.au

My Comments:
Courtest of Phil @ WA Surf, I had a 8m & 10m North Rebel for use in our recent Exmouth trip.

We had around 18-23 knots, and I put up the 10m Rebel. This kite rocks.

I'm more into waves, but due to the lack of swell, dusted off the twin tip, and had some wicked fun. Downlooping was quick and didn't yank like heck. Had good drift when not powered up.

Probably sounds corny, but it actually did extend hang time, was smooth through the window, and was a fast turner. Jumps were smooth & easy, kite was responsive. When I stuffed a few jumps and landed under the kite, was pleased to see that the kite stayed upright and drifted back with the wind (some kites nose dive/invert/gets ugly).

Relaunch was excellent. A gentle tug of the line and around she came and up she went.

Great build quality, colours are fresh & exciting .. was good to see it in the air. I thought they were a bit gaudy at first, but it's a fun kite and looks great in the sky.

Some photos of the bits & pieces:

The North Bag:

The North Rebel 10m:

Control Bar: 5th line, depower cleat

The Bar

Depower cleat & bar stopper. Pull the ball down to rest bar against it, then pull the top tag up to slide the stopper up the lines.

Quality looking safety, easy reload, and line unswiveller:

View of rubber band which I'm guessing helps with relaunch.

Another view of the rubber band - see how it tensions the back line

Handy dump valve & one pump clips

GSS
WA, 75 posts
5 Oct 2010 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with all that Laurie so far has a few guys on the demo up here in Gero and all very pleased with the Rebel. Super smooth and grunty kite!

searider
WA, 28 posts
26 Oct 2010 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering did were you able to get out on the 8m 2011 rebel?
And what were your thoughts im looking to purchase one and im 76kg kite in 15-28 knots.

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
26 Oct 2010 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

searider said...

Just wondering did were you able to get out on the 8m 2011 rebel?
And what were your thoughts im looking to purchase one and im 76kg kite in 15-28 knots.

Unfortunately I didn't get out on the 8m. I'd suggest you get a demo if you can, as kites are so different, and hard to say if it would suit you, as I'm 15kg heavier....

hosh
WA, 236 posts
29 Oct 2010 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

I rode this kite yesterday in 25+ knots at Pinnaroo. Thanks to Darren for the demo.

I really liked the speed which was similar to my core9. It really does behave well in the gusty conditions as we had yesterday. Bar pressure is just enough to get good a feel where the kite is. The gusts were probably around the 28-30 knot mark and the kite was maxed out at that wind speed with no depower pulled in.

What I did like was the jumps. It's a very floaty kite; it does pull you off the water with some conviction, more aggressive than the GT.

Very simple bar system with a good strong donkey dick, depower is in easy reach when things get over cooked.

I give it 8/10 and will be buying one as soon as I can convince the minister of finance it's warranted.

shunter
WA, 441 posts
29 Oct 2010 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 110kg, intermediate
Style: Surf & Freestyle
Weather: 25-30 knots
Disclosure: BMO (buy my own)

I also had a crack on the 10m Rebels off AKS last weekend. Rode the 10m in 25 gusting 30 and was fine for my weight on a 136 TT. Last weekend was my first kite back after a long layoff (3-4years) and within a couple of tacks I was back jumping and dangling and feeling comfortable under the rebel. The rebels are a very smooth, confidence building kite. Great jumpers with good float, fast enough with good feed back on the bar.

I liked the way the 10m flew so decided on the rebels as this years quiver. Was out today on my crispy new 9m starting at 20knots which built to 24-28knots and was fine I would guess 18knots would be my low end on a TT on the 9m. Looking fwd to hitting the waves with them soon.

Cheers

Taurus
VIC, 189 posts
29 Oct 2010 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

I tried a 7m in very gusty conditions and got thrown around a bit, the things I don't like about it was that it doesn't have alot of trim and its a significantly shorter throw bar to the Naish system I usually ride.

Anyone know if North have a longer throw bar for us long armed blokes?

WA, 1255 posts
29 Oct 2010 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

You may just need to adjust the throw? As it is adjustable on the north bar. Probably my favorite bar.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
29 Oct 2010 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Taurus,

default is right, the beauty of the 5th element bar system is it is totally changeable. You simply pull the little 3cm long line from the back of the jam cleat to "uncleat" the line, then work the line through the cleat to move it further up or down depending upon your preference.

You gain no additional depower as when you extend the depower throw, you lose trim length. A bit like robbing peter to pay back paul.

Great bars!

Dm

3ftwaves
4 posts
4 Nov 2010 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hello Guys,

Thats my first post on here I just had my new 7m rebel out today and it is really an amazing kite..When packing I found something really worrying, there was a peice of string behind the last strut coming out of the leading edge and it has like a knot with something attached to this knot. I pulled it a bit and it comes out with something from inside ..It was getting dark and I had to pack quickly and leave..I will check that again tomorrow but if I can get any thoughts from you today that will be great. I hope its not a fault in my kite as I am traveling soon and there is no time to send it back and all this hassel.

I am not going to sleep before your replies

Cheers,

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Nov 2010 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi 3ft waves,

Can you take a picture and upload it so we can tell you what it is? Otherwise, no idea what you are talking about.

Cheers,

DM

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
4 Nov 2010 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

3ftwaves said...

Hello Guys,

Thats my first post on here I just had my new 7m rebel out today and it is really an amazing kite..When packing I found something really worrying, there was a peice of string behind the last strut coming out of the leading edge and it has like a knot with something attached to this knot. I pulled it a bit and it comes out with something from inside ..It was getting dark and I had to pack quickly and leave..I will check that again tomorrow but if I can get any thoughts from you today that will be great. I hope its not a fault in my kite as I am traveling soon and there is no time to send it back and all this hassel.

I am not going to sleep before your replies

Cheers,

If you don't know what it is why pull on it??

The string you mention is there to assist putting the strut bladder after repair and in some cases it also prevents the tip of the bladder dropping back into the strut. If you can still pump your kite up it won't be an issue.

3ftwaves
4 posts
4 Nov 2010 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

If you don't know what it is why pull on it??

The string you mention is there to assist putting the strut bladder after repair and in some cases it also prevents the tip of the bladder dropping back into the strut. If you can still pump your kite up it won't be an issue.

Thanks for your reply..I had 09 Rebels and they didn't have that string..is it supposed to be there..will I find it on all the other new Rebels.

Gone to dark side
NSW, 384 posts
4 Nov 2010 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have the string on my 2010 rebels on leading edge and all struts. You can see that there are there when you pump up struts.I have never touched them.

truster
WA, 82 posts
5 Nov 2010 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

the issue I had was in gusty wind there is not enough depower on the through(whatever setting used with the cleat) so when a gust hit, and the bar all the way depowered against the black stopper, I got to deal with a very dangerous situation/no way to get rid of to much power...(this is the 12M, maybe the through is enogh for 10M)

AKSonline said...

Hi Taurus,

default is right, the beauty of the 5th element bar system is it is totally changeable. You simply pull the little 3cm long line from the back of the jam cleat to "uncleat" the line, then work the line through the cleat to move it further up or down depending upon your preference.

You gain no additional depower as when you extend the depower throw, you lose trim length. A bit like robbing peter to pay back paul.

Great bars!

Dm

Taurus
VIC, 189 posts
5 Nov 2010 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

I end up getting a 2011 Rebel for this season and have had a few good sessions with it, great kite and I actually now prefer the shorter throw. I love how clean this kite is....no bridle, super simple bar, just to name a few. You pay the extra for the quality. Highly recommended.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 North Rebel, 10m" started by laurie