Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 North Trust 5th Element Bar - Change Depower?

Created by CodeRed > 9 months ago, 16 Aug 2014
CodeRed
NSW, 58 posts
16 Aug 2014 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi ,
I have a 2011 trust 5th element bar and I cannot get the depower rope out of the chicken loop swivel assembly.
It has a "u" shaped pin that I imagine is the answer but it just will not let go. I can find no videos on youtube or any info on forum's.
I am totally stranded!
ARRRRGGGGH!

CodeRed
NSW, 58 posts
16 Aug 2014 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, Doneski

A fine but heavy nail punch, a hammer, and a filed off plier handle end was the trick to get the U-bolt out.
...& lot's of olive oil... Which I coated the inner sleeve in so hopefully no more seizing there for next time.

A lot of folk on another thread mentioned the sharp edges on the holes as being responsible for tearing the line, so I sanded them down then cut them as round as I could get them. definitely feels smoother. Time will tell. Any how the pin will come out. Bash the crap out of the punch on the ends of the u-bolt and get some lube in there and bash your lever in. It was too seized for screw drivers, it just bent them all! Once this things is apart the job is a sinch.

Bazinga
QLD, 63 posts
17 Aug 2014 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Agreed ..get a suitably sized nail punch from the hardware store, get some wd40 into it for a day or two before bashing it. Without trying to teach you to suck eggs and just in case you aren't too mechanically minded....make sure you place it on something with a gap under the pin to allow it to push out, and swap hitting each end of the pin in turn. Once you get it moving you may need a filed off nail etc as the nail punch will usually be too large due to the taper.

surfguy
NSW, 32 posts
17 Aug 2014 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I have same bar and have just looked at replacing my rope so took pin out.
what I did was got a large nail punch or pin punch and lay across jaws of vice
slightly open so you support alloy body but opening of vice will let pin punch down.
dont try and hold in vice.
I then punched each side of pin untill pin started to move.
If you get vice jaw open right amount alloy body wont move around.
North have kit with rope and pin tool which lets you punch out both sides of pin at
same time but these are a cheap tool which bends when you use them and needes
hammering straight so forget that.
my bar looked worse than yours from your pic so good luck

CodeRed
NSW, 58 posts
18 Aug 2014 1:49AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers! Yeh it looks a bit nicer with the new line too. Sounds like your grip is falling off? My bar floats are both split by the line but the masking tape seems to hold up a treat, i just need to get it in green and red.
I'll get some candle wax for that line too I reckon, tried bike grease once but didn't seem to prolong life much. I'll shrink wrap it if it gives out again.
For the pins I used a piece of decking with a hole cut out. Was easy one pin and the other was tricky as. I'd be worrying about cracking that case on the vice. It looks like cast steel?

airsail
QLD, 1313 posts
18 Aug 2014 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Found that rubbing candle wax on was ok but warming the wax and dipping the area of the line that the bar moves on works the best. My depower lines last a season. Switch Kites do cheap spares for these bars, even the line material is the same now.

AussieDave
WA, 68 posts
25 Aug 2014 2:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
airsail said..
Found that rubbing candle wax on was ok but warming the wax and dipping the area of the line that the bar moves on works the best. My depower lines last a season. Switch Kites do cheap spares for these bars, even the line material is the same now.

If only I had seen this post before I paid a shop $50 to replace & install a new depower line :(

Will mark it up for future reference when I next need to change it .. I'll also keep on the lookout for spares from Switch kites ..

Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 North Trust 5th Element Bar - Change Depower?" started by CodeRed