Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2014 AXIS LIMITED 136 x 42 BOARD

Created by adambooma > 9 months ago, 4 Feb 2014
adambooma
NSW, 7 posts
4 Feb 2014 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

2014 AXIS LIMITED 136 x 42 Carbon board with pro straps

OVERALL 10/10: the ultimate board for SOFTEST LANDINGS (giving more confidence to go higher) and huge HUGE POP (creating more space for growth with new tricks).

MY INTENTION: if you are trying new boards then please add the AXIS LIMITED with the 42 width to the others you will demo and compare. I think you'll agree that its different than the other boards.

MY OPINION FOR MY TECHNIQUE: Other carbon boards were really stiff with harder landings, almost like they were just chucked together. This board solves all my problems. I was getting very sore knees and lower back from hard landings. I was unable to pop well and my landings had no control especially on backroll kiteloops, just hope and pray kind of landings.

MY REVIEW OF MY AXIS 136 x 42: SOFTER LANDINGS the board actually displaces the water on hard landings better than any board, i can now jump so high and land so hard with the softest of landings, incredible for the next day when my knees and back didn't hurt. POP the board is very light and floaty on the water and pop is so easy. HIGHER JUMPS i am noticing that as pop is better (almost like an assisted flex feeling) that the jumps are way higher and landings are so soft. CONTROL the control is very responsive, there's 4 channels that help control of landings to be easier. And its so light that after a pop you can move the board mid-air real easy. Eg a mid air flick was really easy. BINDINGS has 4 small Velcro straps that tighten from 4 points. Eg if i want it tighter under the arch of my foot i only tighten 1 strap to customise to my foot shape. GOING UPWIND also felt easier for some reason.

CONFIDENCE: yes i can land better, and yes i am motivated to keep pushing new tricks now, look forward to my next session.

THANKS TO: Elliott at kitepower for listening to the board issues i was having and selecting boards that suit me first, then every few mins changing the demo boards so i could see the difference right there on the beach. i did demo a lot of boards with kitepower who were on the beach watching my every technique trying to find a perfect board for where I'm at right now. This is how all board purchases should be with the pro shop kiter like actually reviewing you while you review the board or kite. As time was going on he and i could see which board had the best feel for me, it just so happened to be the most expensive board. You get the benefit from this board though. I have never written a review and I'm doing it because kiting just got better and technology has probably kept me in the sport as now i have less or no pain in the knees or back after a session so far.

Note:
If over 83kg: I'm about 86kg and used before 134 x 41. I purchased the 136 x 42 because i instantly sat higher in the water and had way better feel. Its a very lightweight board so extra width doesn't slow it down. Of course if you want a wider board that turns faster and more skatey you can reduce the size of the fins which i did and so much fun as the channels grip also.

WA, 1255 posts
5 Feb 2014 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

cool photo

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
6 Feb 2014 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Adam! So glad you're stoked on your new toy. Axis has really brought their a-game this year and we are so happy to see all of the smiles coming off the water!

windtzu
93 posts
14 Feb 2014 12:09AM
Thumbs Up

I had the Vanguard 132 x 41. I liked it. Before I bought the Vanguard, I demoed the Limited 136 x 42. They're very similar. The Limited with it's higher carbon made for a more springy, responsive board, but the regular addition Vanguard is no slouch. For all around use, I went with the Vanguard > It's a nice all around freeride-freestyle twin, smooth in chop, goes upwind as well as any, and nice pop.

Compared to my 2009 North X-Ride:

The Vanguard went upwind better (not bad since the X-Ride is no slouch).

About the same smoothness through chop (again kudos to both boards)

Held an edge better

More pop, but hey that's not the X-Ride's forte

Planed slightly faster but it was close (both boards do well for their respective sizes)

Carving turns - X-Ride little smoother

I tend to like a skatey feel (X-Ride has a little of it) and that was my thoughts exactly...put smaller fins on the Vanguard. But if you like that more locked in being on rails feel, then current set up is perfect.

Waves - X-Ride nicer, but again that's where the X-Ride's design leans towards

Vanguard a little stiffer overall, but this isn't a detriment and contributes to its more alive feel than the X-Ride

Overall > the Axis Vanguard leans more toward Freeride-Freestyle and the X-Ride more Freeride-Waves.

The only wart, and it's a biggie for me, is the 2013 straps. I just couldn't dial them in, too tight, too loose, tweaked them in every possible angle. When I could get them reasonably right, they never felt sold and just too sloppy in feel. It reminded me of being on my snowboard with my boots too loose/big. Other riders (3) who tried my board felt the same. Another who owns the Axis Limited likes the bindings, and feels they're as good as anything out there. It's subjective.

It's too bad. The board's performance was overshadowed by my connection to it. I could have enjoyed the board even more otherwise.

If the bindings for 2014 are improved I think they have a winner. If not, buy the board without bindings, or change them.

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
14 Feb 2014 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windtzu said..

The only wart, and it's a biggie for me, is the 2013 straps. I just couldn't dial them in, too tight, too loose, tweaked them in every possible angle. When I could get them reasonably right, they never felt sold and just too sloppy in feel.

I feel the same with my 2013 Vanguard, i have to change the foot straps at least every session sometimes multiple times a session depending on if im riding through chop or flat or jumping, the board doesn't fall off at all but my feet never feel quite right in them. Im hoping they really dial the footstraps in for the 2015 model when released.

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
14 Feb 2014 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Guys doesn't the 2014 have those you bute multiple adjustment straps, sure I saw that somewhere someplace?

Yeh man straps and boards....aaaahhh!! If all you do is make boards, make your straps and pads world class!

rcr46401
WA, 54 posts
14 Feb 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greggor said..

windtzu said..

The only wart, and it's a biggie for me, is the 2013 straps. I just couldn't dial them in, too tight, too loose, tweaked them in every possible angle. When I could get them reasonably right, they never felt sold and just too sloppy in feel.

I feel the same with my 2013 Vanguard, i have to change the foot straps at least every session sometimes multiple times a session depending on if im riding through chop or flat or jumping, the board doesn't fall off at all but my feet never feel quite right in them. Im hoping they really dial the footstraps in for the 2015 model when released.

The axis 2014 straps have changed and are much improved. The limited boards have the straps with multiple adjustments, these are very comfortable, feel more locked in and good for boosting landing. The standard straps on all the other board are still very good and comfortable , generally they did their homework and I feel the boards and changes[fine tuning] has much improved, I have thoroughly enjoyed my lw ultra and limited boards this year.

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
14 Feb 2014 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh thought so, there is 3 adjustments or something. Doesn't help the 2013 owners though. Those axis boards looks farqing amazing in the flesh. I know Jason at Westoz has them all hanging on the wall, I keep my back to them and my wallet in the car.....

windtzu
93 posts
15 Feb 2014 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Yeh thought so, there is 3 adjustments or something. Doesn't help the 2013 owners though. Those axis boards looks farqing amazing in the flesh. I know Jason at Westoz has them all hanging on the wall, I keep my back to them and my wallet in the car.....

Eppo you're right about it not helping the 2013 owners. Forgot to mention there's some exposed velcro on the straps that's like having sandpaper rubbing on the top of your feet. Ouch! I put duct tape over it.

I wrote to the mfg and asked them for some help (ideas or retro fit) about the straps.

Answer:

Several suggestions on how to adjust them. I tried and tried. It was hit and miss, and I'd have to start the adjustment process all over again if I changed out to booties. And even when I did get them to fit, they always had a less than locked in feel.

The velcro thing was supposedly remedied and could be taken care of through a local dealer. I didn't buy one from a dealer, so this wasn't an option.

And that the new model was going to be different. But this helps me how?

I don't want to bash Axis. It can be tough for mfg's out there. And hey, it's understandable in the design process that sometimes things don't work out as envisioned. My gripe is being weak on customer service. Perhaps just a simple gesture like, offering me a retro fit (if possible) or
credit toward the new straps/pads when they come out. This would have made an impression of good will, and all the difference.

It's too bad, because there are design elements about the straps that are almost there - very soft and the multiple ways to adjust them have merit. If they tweaked out the bugs, then the new ones could be winners!

Side note. I realize while the idea of replacing the straps/pads isn't overly expensive, but they aren't cheap either. Not having bought it from a retailer, I bought it nearly new but second hand, so there was no help to be had. It was frustrating and though I saved a few dollars buying second hand, I didn't exactly steal the board on price.

Because of the straps I was leaving the board home more and more. Originally I bought the Vanguard to replace the North X-Ride. but I decided the North's versatility (with fair but very capable straps/pads) along with my Mako and Surboard, I had everything I needed. Sure I could have just swapped out the straps from the North to the Axis, but the lack of effort from Axis to resolve this issue, left me wanting to just let this board go.

I recently sold the Vanguard for a fair price, explaining the straps may not be their cup of tea. It was a beginner. He didn't care and was just excited to own a cool looking board with some good reviews behind it.

As I said, if the straps are "normal" they have a good a board as any on the market. Best wishes to Axis. :)

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
15 Feb 2014 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Ive looked at the new straps for the 2014 models and they do look better but havent tried them yet so i cant comment, The only sure fire way to remedy the 2013 model is booties which i have taken to wearing as i got sick of the straps wearing the top of my feet.

They make me look like a complete douche but it enables me to walk at work in my work boots without a limp and an added bonus when i step on a shell in sandgate or brighton at low tide instead of cutting the bottom of my feet im fine. They also seem to lock me down a bit more to the board like boots do but not as much obviously and they do take a little to get used to but after 4 sessions with them i actually getting to like them and my feet are thanking me too.

As far as the actual board is concerned, i love it, axis really makes a good board which is why ill defiantly look at them for my next board upgrade.

windtzu
93 posts
15 Feb 2014 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Greggor I agree. The board's great. The straps gotta go.

Something off topic but an idea...I too love the feel of bare feet whether I'm riding twin or surfboard; then, fifty something straight sessions in a row and then arggggh, I stepped on a sharp shell with my heel. I really could have used stitches and it kept me off the water for at least a week. I like the idea of something the Swiss Barefoot Company came out with: socks with kevlar soles. They're a little too pricey and I've heard some below par return/warranty policy, so I'd steer clear of them. The concept seems sound however. Runners take toe socks (low cut) and spray the soles with something called Plasti Dip. They're suppose to give you a barefoot feel but offer (some) protection against sharp and prickly things (and as well as abrasive kiteboard straps). The runners report get many miles running in them before needing a re-touch coating. I bought some toe socks and a can of paint. The toe socks are suppose to give you better grip and stay on feet. I tried the socks on and they're very comfortable, yes a barefoot feel. I'll see how it goes once I spray the soles with Plasti Dip. All up I'm into it for @ $15 US dollars. I'll post my results.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
16 Feb 2014 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

They tell me velcro works well with woolly socks ?

Rolls
VIC, 48 posts
21 Feb 2014 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Bought the limited today. I've been out of action for 6 years so board tec is all new.

Took it out tonight. Loved it! Really honked along however I did keep getting sprayed in the face from the rear heel tagging the swell (when going full tilt).

My question is: is it because there's something wrong with my technique or does my foot need to sit deeper in the binding?

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
22 Feb 2014 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Toe socks have absolutely no street credibility!? quit kiting and start rollerblading!

if you want to protect your soft feet, stop moisturising them every night and start building callouses through summer (walk on the tar car park when visiting the beach and leave your hip havaianas in the car).

if you have to wear booties to protect the upper side of your feet, for $&@) sake, wear boogie board socks without painting their soles or swap out your straps.

now harden up and stop confusing the general public with how cool and rad we kite boarders are. Yeeeeeww!

this is written tongue in cheek (for you keyboard warriors).

ps - I wear a white Gath helmet when I am feeling rad, a bucket hat when I want to mow the lawn. Knock either, and you are in trouble my friend, because they protect me from the elements and my eardrums are doing well thanks!

pps - have time to be a keyboard warrior today... twisted ankle earned in work's mixed netball game yesterday. Not cool... RISE recovery on couch while my kids do their Saturday sport.

ppps - I didn't realise that the fast uptake in boots was because 1 bad batch of straps was causing upper foot chaffing and interfered with wearing steel-capped construction boots?! Have less respect for those radical tricksy wannabes now

pppps - I refuse to launch anyone wearing booger socks at the beach, so don't even ask! No joke!!

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
22 Feb 2014 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

I just want to second the original poster's props to Elliot.

Elliot is a great asset to Kitepower! He listens and doesn't give us weekend-warriors a hard time for not being as cool and hardcore as other dudes living the kite lifestyle

keep up your great customer service Elliot and see you on the water!

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
22 Feb 2014 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Slight off-topic rhetorical question:

Where do all the new and almost new straps and pads go? Everyone wants to be strapless or ride boots nowadays...

Do they do to "pad and strap heaven" without getting used much (or is there an underworld market that many of us aren't aware of?)

Have you got a theory Kitepower Steve?!

Excuse excessive posting... No wind, crook ankle...

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
22 Feb 2014 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Nathan!

Yeah dude I'm seeing a lot of strapless or boots! It seems that for the new generation of kiteboarding starting out straps are kind of a jumping off point. That said, I think they still have their place for sure. I think for people learning freestyle tricks, straps are the better way to go (especially for kids as they don't have the same strength or ability to pop). I think people don't really consider the fact that all of the pros wearing boots that they're watching videos of learned all of those tricks in straps. As for surfing, I don't do it all that often but when I do it's strapless. That is definitely a personal preference thing though and I have respect for riders of all levels riding whatever they want to ride! Straps are a great intro and if you want to stick with them then great, but make sure you try out all of the options!

Cheers
E

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
22 Feb 2014 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

No, thanks E... because once again you are on point!

Straps on a TT is how we all should start (not my journey... Started on a strapped Delta SB... Thanks Marty! Your old personal prototype board with specially foiled glassin fins is still going strong and still my favourite when the waves have some grunt)

In surf sub 3 foot I go strapless SB, in big Margs-like surf my weapon is my strapped Delta SB, in Botany Bay chop i choose a skim board when not powered, else strapped TT. Lots of boards is the spice of life!

Meat
WA, 13 posts
22 Feb 2014 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

i've gone from boots on wakeboards and wanting to be locked in so hard your feet turn blue , to now riding a kite and enjoying the comfort of straps .. noticing the load , pop and style has to be way cleaner or you come out.

thinking that has to be good for your skill level .

noticed watching the king of the air the other week that the riders in straps seemed to be riding a lot more clean and styled out than the boot guys .

note - im neither for or against either boots or straps so settle down trolls that will follow .....

back to thread topic - have a 138 axis limited coming my way soon :) cant wait !

22 Feb 2014 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NathanG said..

Slight off-topic rhetorical question:

Where do all the new and almost new straps and pads go? Everyone wants to be strapless or ride boots nowadays...

Do they do to "pad and strap heaven" without getting used much (or is there an underworld market that many of us aren't aware of?)

Have you got a theory Kitepower Steve?!

Excuse excessive posting... No wind, crook ankle...

Back of my van right now has 5 boards, 2 strapped, 3 unstrapped. Sector66/strapped, Cab Stylus 1.65/strapped, 3 surfboards all unstrapped, if I had a smaller TT in there it would be strapped.
My main theory is that I don't know what anything actually is, based on that all my other theories are bullsh1t.

windtzu
93 posts
23 Feb 2014 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NathanG said..

Toe socks have absolutely no street credibility!? quit kiting and start rollerblading!

if you want to protect your soft feet, stop moisturising them every night and start building callouses through summer (walk on the tar car park when visiting the beach and leave your hip havaianas in the car).

if you have to wear booties to protect the upper side of your feet, for $&@) sake, wear boogie board socks without painting their soles or swap out your straps.

now harden up and stop confusing the general public with how cool and rad we kite boarders are. Yeeeeeww!

this is written tongue in cheek (for you keyboard warriors).

ps - I wear a white Gath helmet when I am feeling rad, a bucket hat when I want to mow the lawn. Knock either, and you are in trouble my friend, because they protect me from the elements and my eardrums are doing well thanks!

pps - have time to be a keyboard warrior today... twisted ankle earned in work's mixed netball game yesterday. Not cool... RISE recovery on couch while my kids do their Saturday sport.

ppps - I didn't realise that the fast uptake in boots was because 1 bad batch of straps was causing upper foot chaffing and interfered with wearing steel-capped construction boots?! Have less respect for those radical tricksy wannabes now

pppps - I refuse to launch anyone wearing booger socks at the beach, so don't even ask! No joke!!

Nathan Ha-ha. All the callous building conditioning practices in the world isn't going to stop a razor clam, broken glass, etc. from slicing up your foot. Been there done that...Better idea, coat the bottom of your feet with tar. ;)

Adrian Roper
93 posts
8 May 2014 5:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rolls said..

Bought the limited today. I've been out of action for 6 years so board tec is all new.

Took it out tonight. Loved it! Really honked along however I did keep getting sprayed in the face from the rear heel tagging the swell (when going full tilt).

My question is: is it because there's something wrong with my technique or does my foot need to sit deeper in the binding?

It is really important when setting up the board to have the same distance from heal to edge of board and toe to edge of board. i.e. you need to centre your foot. Everytime I hear the spray in the face it seems someone has offset the bindings to the rail in the idea that it will be easier to edge. It does not work like this. Cheers Adrian

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
8 May 2014 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

While we are here on this bumped thread can I add the new 2014 straps are excellent!! The axis limited is also an excellent board for a softish riding freestyle board with some great grip.

Adrian Roper
93 posts
8 May 2014 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

While we are here on this bumped thread can I add the new 2014 straps are excellent!! The axis limited is also an excellent board for a softish riding freestyle board with some great grip.

thanks for noticing the straps and pads Eppo, we worked long and hard to re design after the 2013 straps and pads....
The 2014 Axis Limited seems to suit free ride freestyle with strap riders and we have plenty of team riders unsung with boots in the larger sizes.
Olly Brunton has decided the 140 x 43 is the perfect combo for him.
I was doing a search for comments on the Axis boards and it was good to read what folk liked and did not like. Always good learning.
Saw the comments on spray and wanted to comment, was not trying to bump, but here we are...
We have had a great summer testing and feel we have plenty of improvements for the 2015.

MrFreeze
289 posts
8 May 2014 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

While we are here on this bumped thread can I add the new 2014 straps are excellent!!

Hmmmmm, You may certainly add that comment Professor.

BTW Senor Eppo, I'm off for a 4 week sojourn at a exotic location which I'm not at liberty to disclose. I would like you to feel secure in the fact that I will be vigilant in my quest to critic all your posts.

Kind regards

Freeze

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
8 May 2014 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrFreeze said..

eppo said..

While we are here on this bumped thread can I add the new 2014 straps are excellent!!

Hmmmmm, You may certainly add that comment Professor.

BTW Senor Eppo, I'm off for a 4 week sojourn at a exotic location which I'm not at liberty to disclose. I would like you to feel secure in the fact that I will be vigilant in my quest to critic all your posts.

Kind regards

Freeze

Enjoy ya break.

Surfer62
1357 posts
9 May 2014 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Vanguard 135 lov it, foot straps ok

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
9 May 2014 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Love the look of the Limited and Vanguard, has anyone tried the NewSkool?? I'd love some feedback.

Monsoon
WA, 6 posts
10 May 2014 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

I have not tried the NewSkool but the 132 vanguard works nicely for the oldschool

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
13 May 2014 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

I love mine. Use it all the time, ocean and lake; pretty much replaced my other boards as if I can't ride with that board and that kite, I wouldn't be having fun with the bigger board anyway.

What have you got in mind for 2015?

Select to expand quote
MrFreeze said..
in my quest to critic all your posts

*critique

oceansprince
12 posts
26 Feb 2015 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

How is limited for carves and back feet direct? What is the weight of these boards? And what size is better for 85kg rider, on shore, except the main use i like toeside waveriding...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 AXIS LIMITED 136 x 42 BOARD" started by adambooma