Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2014 Airush Lithium Zero 18m kite no struts

Created by Peterc150 > 9 months ago, 9 Sep 2013
norcom
61 posts
7 Feb 2014 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Perfect150 said...Thanks for your information on the Lithium Zero, I concur about the limited depower and massive pull. I haven't been out on mine for a while as I have an injured back and the stronger sea breezes arrived before that. Out of interest, where are you kiting? It looks deserted, and like you get wind there!

That picture was taken here goo.gl/maps/kIEtm
It's not that secluded and it's the closest spot to Tallahassee where I can launch. The other spot is across the bay. This spot is best for northerly winds.

Trust me, it's DEAD here 99% of the time. I'm either on the 18m or the 16m. If i could find an affordable 21m Zeeko Notus, I would be all over it! Good luck with your back! I've had back issues for years now, they suck.

norcom
61 posts
14 Feb 2014 5:24AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone tried the other steering line connection on the Zero? There are two connections and mine's always been connected to the one farthest to the tip. I'm guessing the one higher up slows the kite down and adds more bar pressure but I'm wondering if anyone tried it and what the results were.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
16 Feb 2014 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
norcom said..

Perfect150 said...Thanks for your information on the Lithium Zero, I concur about the limited depower and massive pull. I haven't been out on mine for a while as I have an injured back and the stronger sea breezes arrived before that. Out of interest, where are you kiting? It looks deserted, and like you get wind there!

That picture was taken here goo.gl/maps/kIEtm
It's not that secluded and it's the closest spot to Tallahassee where I can launch. The other spot is across the bay. This spot is best for northerly winds.

Trust me, it's DEAD here 99% of the time. I'm either on the 18m or the 16m. If i could find an affordable 21m Zeeko Notus, I would be all over it! Good luck with your back! I've had back issues for years now, they suck.

Norcom, that is a cool location but it would seem you don't get many ocean winds there.

I will try the other steering line connection on the Zero when I am next on the water.

I was kitesurfing again last weekend and loving it with the back just healed and holding up OK, then cycling to work on Monday a car turned in front of me leaving me nowhere to go other than smacking into the side of it - driver didn't see me. Now I have broken fibula head (leg bone) so I am off the water for some more weeks and hobbling around with a leg brace and crutch.

Moral of story: do more kitesurfing. Its safer than domestic duties and cycling!

shane75
QLD, 209 posts
12 Mar 2014 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Check out the power and 3 knot kiting.

#

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
13 Mar 2014 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..
... The next day pumped it up much harder and it stopped the folding . . .

LOL. Mate you do know kites require more than 2 pumps!

bigwave
8 posts
13 Mar 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

I like that video but thats the strongest 3 knots I've ever seen. Yesterday I was out snow kiting in extremely low wind with the 2014 Lithium Zero. When I was pumping it up I really was questioning myself about wether it will work. Kite launches but I have to keep it moving while getting in the bindings. Once underway I'm working the kite but going upwind. I would estimate the wind to be around 4-6 knots. For a big kite ,its very agile and turns pretty quick. Down loops were no problem. The wind picked up a couple knots and so did the power,fully powered up with the bar out about 4-6". A couple weeks ago we did a kite test with the Zero, Cabrinha Contra 17m and the Ocean Rodeo Flite 17m in a not so light 10 knot wind. The Zero was a beast! The other 2 kites,while quite powerful were more manageable.
I'm really looking forward using the Zero on the water. No doubt it has a narrow wind range but as a true LW kite, I can't believe any inflatable save a BRM Cloud 17m could touch match it on the low end.

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
13 Mar 2014 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PiersHowe said..

Hi Peter

Thanks for your previous posts on the Lithium zero. I was wondering if you now had had a chance to ride it in 5-10 knts? If so, I would be really interested to hear your impressions - I am about the same weight as you and ride in the same location. I would be especially interested to know if you could boost in under 10 knts.

Best
Piers

Yeah me too! I am in the market for a very light wind kite.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
17 Mar 2014 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

The Lithium Zero is THE kite for 5-10 knots, its got unbelievable power and turns well because it is so light.

But don't go out in anything stronger than 10 knots or you will end up somewhere you don't want to be.

Back on the water after 9 weeks off (back & leg!) but the light sea breezes have left us in Melbourne now and we are getting gusty northelies and storm fronts.

I will post more information about the Zero when I next use it.

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
17 Mar 2014 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Winter is coming!

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
17 Mar 2014 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitebt said...
Winter is coming!