Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2014/2015 Rpm comparison?

Created by blakee > 9 months ago, 18 Feb 2015
blakee
QLD, 4 posts
18 Feb 2015 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hey just wondering if anyone can share their opinion on the difference between the 2014-2015 is the 2015 worth the extra $ and is the compstick identical for line set up between the years etc

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
19 Feb 2015 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

I havent tried one but i was really happy with the 2014 which felt really similar to 2013 but the canopy lasted much better. The 2014 rpm is pretty much perfect the only reason they changed the bridal is just because they have to change something. Id go 2014.

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
20 Feb 2015 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Lovin the large inflation valve on this big boy.

That's the main difference.

Selling 2013 12m.

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
20 Feb 2015 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Large valve is certainly an improvement. But for me it is the fact that they got rid of the pulleys. Has only a subtle effect on the feel though. Same bar.

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
21 Feb 2015 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RussKraut said..
Large valve is certainly an improvement. But for me it is the fact that they got rid of the pulleys. Has only a subtle effect on the feel though. Same bar.

What sizes have you got?

The 2013's fly awesome on pulleys, the early 2014's had slight issue with bridle wear on sliders (did not buy any), and 2015's now have a bungee cord setup.

The Large inflate valve is awesome improvement to a kite that has been refined for several years now, it makes pumping the larger sizes way easier.

They are expensive, but i havent found anything cheaper that i am prepared to swap too.

Why didnt you like the pulleys, i never had any problems with them?
Maybe because it made the kite turn too fast and/or slightly pivot?
Im hoping the bungee makes more direct feel and maybe bit more slack when setup for Wakestyle.

If you dont care for fast pumping, the older versions of RPM are still awesome...

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
2 Mar 2015 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 9m. Sweet kite. I know it also depends on the bridle structure and length bla bla but in general my experience is that pulleys can make a kite a little bit less direct compared to direct attachments to the kite or at least direct bridle connections. Anyway, personal preference. the new RPM feels a bit more direct but as I said this is a subtle difference and based on a few sessions only. Also pulleys can cause issues like the 2014 recall showed. And finally, pulleys can wear out the lines a bit faster. Mine became a bit soft and snapped during a jump. So one should look after their lines more thoroughly when pulleys are involved it seems (and who is doing this anyway?).
Can't comment on the slack as I am still recovering from injury therefore not allowed to unhook yet but it would make sense if it improved on this a tiny bit as well (speculating only).

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
2 Mar 2015 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Good to catch up with you today man...

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
2 Mar 2015 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2013 RPM's 9 & 14m. Had a run on the new 11m on the weekend. Really liked it.
Hard to tell the difference with my kites either side in size but it felt more direct but somehow a bit less bar pressure. It turned nice and very predictable through the loop.

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
2 Mar 2015 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Good to catch up with you today man...

Same here mate

WA, 1255 posts
3 Mar 2015 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote