Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2015 Best Armada, 135cm

Created by BestAustralia > 9 months ago, 26 Aug 2014
BestAustralia
NSW, 5 posts
26 Aug 2014 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

There’s 20 boards in the Best kiteboarding lineup for 2015, that’s if you include each size in the twintips. Smack bang in the middle of those is the 135cm Best Armada, which we think is an appropriate position based on the task it’s been designed for.

It’s in the middle in terms of size, design and price, but by no means is it an average board. The Armada takes what’s required from an all-round performance kiteboard, then goes one better. So when Franz Schitzhofer emerged from the shaping room with the 2015 Armada, complete with new bottom shape, glossy finish and Basalt Fiber peeking out from behind the graphics, it had quite the reputation to live up to. It also had four intriguing extra inserts around the grab handle.... But we still don't know what they're for!

So what’s different, how did it ride and (the big question!) is it better than last years board? We threw both the 2014 and 2015 Best Armada 135’s in the car, and asked the riders at Bribie Island (North of Brisbane) to find out…

“It feels a bit stiffer than the old one. Through chop it still feels smooth, but when you load and pop it’s got a much snappier feeling to it.”
Matt Young

“I like the new graphics, the glossy finish gives the board a real sense of class. Plus the looks aren’t too ‘out-there’ for an old guy like me. Oh and it rides so smooth through the chop!”
Henry Pink

“I’m not sure if it’s the extra channels on the base, or the stiffer design, but this one seems to really ‘lock in’ this year. You just set it and forget it, which is really nice for freeride sessions.”
Lyatte Peach

"It's perfectly suited for freestyle, soaked up the chop really well and carves so smooth. I wonder what the extra four inserts are for?"
Jackson Bannah

“I noticed the footstraps, the double strap system on each foot really helps lock your feet in. Hard landings from unhooked tricks felt much smoother on the new version!”
Josh Porter

“That new rock fiber stuff (He’s referring to the Basalt Fiber…) is pretty cool. It feels like they’ve loaded the board full of springy goodness for huge pops. This thing loads up so hard, then delivers huge boosts every time. The old one was good, but this is better.”
Hayden Porter

“It’s just as light! One comment I always got from others is how light my 2014 Armada was, especially considering it’s not all carbon. This new one is just as light, so it felt really nice under-foot.”
Rhys McClintock

So there you have it, the word off the street (or in this case, the beach) on the new Best Armada 135, there’s been some small changes and BIG results! What do you think the extra inserts are for?

Leave a comment below and tell us what you think!

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
26 Aug 2014 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

“I noticed the footstraps, the double strap system on each foot really helps lock your feet in. Hard landings from unhooked tricks felt much smoother on the new version!” Josh Porter

I found last year they were a bit too loose (i have narrow feet) interested to see what this year is like.

Are the inserts for changing torsion? herd this may be implemented by best but yet to see anything on it...

BestAustralia
NSW, 5 posts
26 Aug 2014 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

The Pads and Straps have been slightly modified this year, so they should fit feet of all shapes and sizes!

BestAustralia
NSW, 5 posts
26 Aug 2014 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Torsion Control ey? Maybe Maybe... Any other ideas?

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
5 Sep 2014 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

so... what do i win?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Best Armada, 135cm" started by BestAustralia