Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Best waist harness for 2023

Created by Donnie22 > 9 months ago, 25 Sep 2023
Donnie22
QLD, 3 posts
25 Sep 2023 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hey there I'm looking to get a new harness but not sure about the size or brand of what to get. I have an Aex M 2020. It's good but it rides up and hurts my sternum a bit after a session sometimes. My waist is 31/32. Thanks

LePhasme
WA, 59 posts
25 Sep 2023 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Try them a few in shops, sometimes a harness can feel amazing to someone and just dig at the wrong place for someone else.
I have an ion riot I'm happy with, I heard lots of good things about the mystic harnesses.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 973 posts
26 Sep 2023 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Absolutely, there is no "Best" harness, only the best harness for you. The harness is the most personally subjective piece of kit. I have seen two mates of similar stature try on the same harness back to back and one loved it, the other hated it.

Go to your local store and try a couple on to see for yourself. It's not always the most expensive one that is best, its the one that fits you best.

DM

thuffam
QLD, 47 posts
5 Oct 2023 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donnie22 said..
Hey there I'm looking to get a new harness but not sure about the size or brand of what to get. I have an Aex M 2020. It's good but it rides up and hurts my sternum a bit after a session sometimes. My waist is 31/32. Thanks

I used to have that issue.. until i spoke with a pro rider years ago.. they simply said: loosen the harness. Sounds counter intuitive, but it has completely changed my experience kiting.
Whether freeriding or surfing.. it will make a huge difference it needs to be loose enough that it wont compress your chest and tight enough it doesnt slide over your hips.
I also only go with neoprene lined harnesses. So it can slide around a bit. So when it slides up you just lean back and can pull it down. And for surfing it can slide around when riding toeside.. this is so much better and comfortable than those slider harnesses.
The rubber lined harnesses do as intended.. grip. This is no good as the harness will eventually ride up and compress your chest and very difficult to pull down. Freestylers prefer these but my experience is that you cannot stop them riding up.

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
9 Oct 2023 6:37AM
Thumbs Up

You would be mad not to look at the Rideengine range. They have so many harness now. Not just hard shells anymore

rideengine.com.au/

Grant

Pcdefender
WA, 1361 posts
1 Nov 2023 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

I bought an older model Mystic X from WP a few years ago for only 200 dollars.

Added leg straps and a shorter hook so it would slide more.

Been the best harness ever.

No back issues with it at all.

It has a hard carbon shell back.

I use it only for windsurfing though i think its a kitesurfing harness.

Gorgo
VIC, 4976 posts
2 Nov 2023 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

I have had a Mystic Majestic X hard shell harness for years. It still works fine but is a little ragged around the edges. It is ultra-comfortable. I would never go back to a soft shell harness.

I recently bought a Mystic Stealth 3 with the slider rope. Its more compact, lighter and non-water absorbent so it dries quickly. Same comfort but more convenient to use and own.

Only two criticisms. One is that they're expensive at about $900. The other is that the first time I used it I had a foiling crash and self-rescue. Somewhere during that the safety knife disappeared. I suspect it was more bad luck than bad design but I added a little bungie leash to the knife. There's been no sign of the knife coming loose so far.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Best waist harness for 2023" started by Donnie22