26 Sep 2022 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

Loving the new Neo sls
check it out in action in Cornwall

omg
281 posts
28 Sep 2022 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Nice spot and the 9 looks quicker than the preivous one?

Have you had a chance to try dlab neo or any feedback from other people?

leepasty
380 posts
29 Sep 2022 3:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I've been testing the dlab 10m for past 4 months. it's amazing in underpowered conditions or constant wind but for gusty conditions I prefer the new sls as the dlab is real punchy

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
29 Sep 2022 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

You know something, I really like this vid. I have kited that coast line and this guy captures the stoke of an average guy going about his business and having fun. The kite looks good, nice and stable, looks like it loops super easy and smooth. The whole vid makes me just want to get out and kite.
Does anyone know how he got that camera angle? Cheers

Deefer
VIC, 124 posts
29 Sep 2022 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe a chest harness?

omg
281 posts
29 Sep 2022 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh, in my eyes he's a really good rider, powerfull top turns and a nice 360 on a wave.

Lee, thanks for the feedback on dlab! I'm also interested in the camera setup you are using; what camera and how did you attach it to you?

leepasty
380 posts
29 Sep 2022 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys
I'm using head mount with GoPro 8
waiting to see how the GoPro 11 mini is as could be best cam yet for kiting
will put out some footage of the dlab now I'm allowed to ??

omg
281 posts
29 Sep 2022 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
Thanks guys
I'm using head mount with GoPro 8
waiting to see how the GoPro 11 mini is as could be best cam yet for kiting
will put out some footage of the dlab now I'm allowed to ??

Super, looking forward for the video!

I'm waiting for my 10 dlab to arrive (hopefully) early Oct. Currently ride the 2021 sls 8 and 10, smaller ones are dacron versions. Hopefully the dlab 10 would be a bit quicker to turn, the 10sls is very nice for strapless freestyle but the 8sls is nicer in every way.

Is the head mount different than the mouth mount? The video view looks very nice and stable, no shaking at all.

leepasty
380 posts
30 Sep 2022 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

It's the head strap mount so cam sits on forehead. 10 dlab doesn't turn as fast as 2022 8 sls I'm afraid but both the 2023 dlab and sls models turn faster than the 22 model in same size.

where the dlab is better than sls is in light patchy wind and onshore as it stays in air better and can still turn in less wind than the sls.

if you have really gusty, punchy wind cross or cross off then you will prob prefer the 2023 sls

omg
281 posts
30 Sep 2022 4:08AM
Thumbs Up

thank you Sir! The dlab qualities you described sounds very much what I am after, although it's effin expensive.

Yes, the 9m SLS in your video looked to be turning very well!

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1069 posts
6 Oct 2022 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hit Marvin up in Townsville, for a demo. He has them all.

I'm still wondering what the SLS really does for boosting?

weebitbreezy
623 posts
10 Oct 2022 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NorthernKitesAUS said..
Hit Marvin up in Townsville, for a demo. He has them all.

I'm still wondering what the SLS really does for boosting?

Probably thinner leading edge so you can force it a bit closer to the edge of the window when you load it up? If its a bit lighter it should also climb a fraction faster. Neo was a pretty boosty kite design to start with.

marty72
QLD, 298 posts
12 Oct 2022 6:40AM
Thumbs Up

Nice riding! I noticed that you keep on flying the kite back hard rather than letting it drift down the line more but have the de-power all the way out, on my '22 SLS I find if you pull it at least maybe 3 inches when on the wave the kite drifts so much better and doesn't fly towards the edge of the window so much, especially if the wind's side onshore. Have you tried doing this?

Peahi
VIC, 1473 posts
12 Oct 2022 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marty72 said..
Nice riding! I noticed that you keep on flying the kite back hard rather than letting it drift down the line more but have the de-power all the way out, on my '22 SLS I find if you pull it at least maybe 3 inches when on the wave the kite drifts so much better and doesn't fly towards the edge of the window so much, especially if the wind's side onshore. Have you tried doing this?

If I recall correctly he said was 15kn so might have had to work the kite a lot, esp a 9m

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
12 Oct 2022 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marty72 said..

I have same 22 neo sls's and am interested in your comment, as I mostly kite in cross-on. I drift a bit then find my board speed is approaching kite speed so have to goto to hard turning board and kite to keep power up. Will deffo try your tip of depowering to see if it helps the drifting. Thank for the tip.

marty72
QLD, 298 posts
13 Oct 2022 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..

marty72 said..

I have same 22 neo sls's and am interested in your comment, as I mostly kite in cross-on. I drift a bit then find my board speed is approaching kite speed so have to goto to hard turning board and kite to keep power up. Will deffo try your tip of depowering to see if it helps the drifting. Thank for the tip.

Let me know how you go, for me it makes a big difference as the kite sits back in the window a lot more. Peahi, yeh you will still have to work it in lighter/ cross on winds, just not as much.

omg
281 posts
19 Oct 2022 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
It's the head strap mount so cam sits on forehead. 10 dlab doesn't turn as fast as 2022 8 sls I'm afraid but both the 2023 dlab and sls models turn faster than the 22 model in same size.

where the dlab is better than sls is in light patchy wind and onshore as it stays in air better and can still turn in less wind than the sls.

if you have really gusty, punchy wind cross or cross off then you will prob prefer the 2023 sls

Hey Lee,

one more question if I may; what size of Fish dlab do you ride, please? And what's your weight? Is the Fish a fast board or is the Whip faster?

I really dig the Wam SLS in nice conditions, but it needs some wind (and/or nice waves) to really shine and I feel it's deeper in the water than my current strapless freestyle board (obviously very different functions), which on the other hand has great speed and very good pop.

Thanks again!

leepasty
380 posts
20 Oct 2022 3:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marty72 said..

wind was light and waves were weak so needed to move the kite for power and to get to next section. If I had just parked the kite I would of not been able to do any turns just about go along. In cross off and decent waves for sure I just park kite but would not need to depower the 9 in 15 mph unless was really off and barreling

leepasty
380 posts
20 Oct 2022 3:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
omg said..

leepasty said..

Hey Lee,

one more question if I may; what size of Fish dlab do you ride, please? And what's your weight? Is the Fish a fast board or is the Whip faster?

I really dig the Wam SLS in nice conditions, but it needs some wind (and/or nice waves) to really shine and I feel it's deeper in the water than my current strapless freestyle board (obviously very different functions), which on the other hand has great speed and very good pop.

Thanks again!

I'm 92kg and use the Fish dlab 5'3, goes amazing in waves up to overhead especially frontside. I actually prefer the Whip in small waves backside though as comes off the bottom better. Soon as some juice I'm on the Wam 5'11 ??

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Duotone Neo sls 2023" started by leepasty