NSW, 331 posts
20 Nov 2013 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 80 Kg, intermediate
Style: Freestyle
Weather: 20-25knots
Build Quality: 8/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: No affiliation with any brand/store/person, just based on my personal experiences and situation.

My Comments:

The winter was almost gone, so decided to prepare for the new season with new kites. So I started researching which way to go. Do I get Griffin again, go back to Slingshot or Crazy Fly or something new for me.

After trying an RPM 2012 and a Cabrinha Drifter, I decided I'll go Griffin again. The difference wasn't that significant to justify the price difference. After all, after 1 year of use, I will upgrade them again, anyway.

So, I paid for my new kites and unfortunately I had to wait for a while. But it was definitely worth the wait.

Griffin, manufacture their kites apparently in a different factory, there have been a couple of improvements in the design, bridle, setting, build quality and a totally different bar (the QR system is the same).

The bar and lines:

The same length in lines 21 meters plus 4 m extensions for lighter winds. I have 2 bars. On one bar I took the extensions out, on the other one left them on.
Pros:
-The grip on the bar is a lot smoother
-It's more resilient, doesn't get damaged as easy as it did on the previous bar.
-Shorter and not as thick. The other one was a bit too big I think.
-Lighter and it definitely feels better.
-The center lines where the bar travels up and down have been doubled lasting longer.

Cons:
-If you have relatively short hands, you'll struggle to reach the above the bar de-power.
-No swivel, even though Chris from Griffin told me they have or they will have a swivel soon (I am not certain).
-The Quick Release system is exactly the same, basic and simple, but it works 100%, so I guess it's not too worrying.

The kite:

Pros:
-The wingtips have been redesigned, the geometry of the kite a slightly different compared to the previous TRX. Making it more like a C-shape kite. The kite now appears to be closer to the power window, or more in the power window.
-The leading edge is a lot skinier, making the kite lighter. Therefore, better in light winds.
-The kite now has more grunt than the previous TRX without losing its turning speed too much.
-I feel the hang time has been improved as well, as with this TRX the landings seem a lot smoother without too much effort from my side.
-The kites now have some sort of protection material in key points.
-The new color pattern is pretty cool (especially the grey, blue and white pattern), a change was necessary.
-The up wind ability, I guess has been improved a bit too. I need more time on in, but it seemed easier to get some ground.
-The pulley-less bridle has been adjusted as well, the whole feel is better (However, not sure if it's due to the bar change or the bridle).
-The kite bag has been changed as well, which I didn't like before that much. This one seems more practical and easier to carry.
-Less pumping (maybe this should be in the cons section, because it takes away from the warm up time, awe well)

Cons:
-I guess the turning speed has been decreased tiny little bit, but now the kite has more grunt (I guess you can't have both).
-The pig tails lack the tabs, which is a bit frustrating when you are in a hurry to pack up your **** and go home asap.
-The kite now has more grunt, which makes it have less top end. However, still more forgiving in powerful gusts than the kites I've tried.
-When deflating the kite, it's frustrating to deflate the struts. Therefore, harder/slower to pack.

Conclusion: very happy with Griffin kites, considering the performance, built quality and budget.

oldmic
NSW, 350 posts
20 Nov 2013 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Good review, I've no links to griffin either.
The 14m TRX gets me out in pretty minimal conditions.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
20 Nov 2013 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

While the kite is a great price, it is no budget kite. Times have changed for the company. Big upswing in quality, new designs of color and patterns, and super high performance. Direct connection, great feel, nice and smooth.
This years bridle config is awesome, definitely more power without sacrificing and looping or turning speed. Chris has spend a lot of time fine tuning these and it just keeps getting better. I am super stoked...I have previously said other comments about the kites so I won't keep repeating...they are great kites.
This is a pretty cool time in kite evolution, there are soooo many good kites out there right now. They all have little subtleties. We find the one that just just sits with our own type of riding and style. Try them all if you can.

Mikedobee
NSW, 331 posts
21 Nov 2013 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

ludbey
TAS, 85 posts
22 Nov 2013 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

thanks mike, good photos, much more info than the griffin site, any chance of some photos showing the new bridles as my main complaint with my trx's is the length of the bridle. [ too long ]

catalaussie
128 posts
22 Nov 2013 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ludbey, which year are your TRX's? 2014 bridle is shorter than 2013.

warwickl
NSW, 2216 posts
22 Nov 2013 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

I had a 2014 9 TRX out yesterday in direct onshore 15 to 20 kn small surf.

While the 2013 was my favorite the 2014 is further improved, in fact I could not fault it for my requirements. Most notable was kite float down wind, while very good in 2013 2014 is even better.

Also my 2014 bar has a swivel.

ludbey
TAS, 85 posts
22 Nov 2013 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

yeah thanks cat. that is what i wanted to hear

Tommygun
NSW, 26 posts
23 Nov 2013 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

TRX 2014 10.5m

Rider: Weight,Level (85kg,intermediate)
Style: Freerid, Surf, , Freestyle
Weather: 15-30
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: (Been riding every windy day for 6 years. (90% of my riding
is on a TT flat water and surf)

My Comments:
After I had two days up at Hawks Nest to demo the TRX in 16-30 Knots I
was sold. Just for the record i was not sold on any of the previous TRX 2012 or older
10.5m kites as i did not like the bottom end and they felt a little light
passing through the power zone. I hear this was different for people who
ride strapless surfboards. I can easily say the 2014 TRX is most defiantly
different to its previous 2012 models.

When I went to purchase my New stunt Machine is was nice to find there was
a much larger colour combination choice than previous years. with added
brighter colours.

Unlike the earlier models of the TRX Kites i find the 2014 to have a lot
more bottom end and holds its self better over all. kites nicely in 16
knots in flat water on a TT.

I had the TRX 10.5m in 18 knots and found kite looping an absolute dream.
hearing the lines whistle behind me through the air with speed and still
have total control of the power gave my self a lot more confidence in
going more technical.
Later the wind picked up to about 30 knots.
In 30 knots i felt confident to see how much boost i could achive, the Dolphin Watching Cruise was going past and i could see the floor of the top level across from me, which is three story's high out of the water
Over all, between 16 and 30 knots its a lot of fun.

The TRX has a short bridle, no pulleys, no 5th line and no batterns with an agile 3 strut design making the kite feel light and responsive with out the potential wear and damage batterns, 5th line and pulleys can cause to the kite and lines.

For a wave kite, the TRX also boost, jumps, kiteloops, floats, has pop and is fun if your on flat water.

The build of the TRX is most defiantly solid. put it to the test when I
dropped it out at the Bommie at Long Reef Beach and had a set wave about 3
foot over my head smash in to it . (a thank
you to the other kiter who saved my board).The kite popped up and found it
fast and easy to relaunch before the next wave took me for another
unwanted ride.

The BAR
OK, The kite was most defiantly a 10/10 for me unfortunately i found the
floaters on the bar slid up the lines after beeing smashed by the set at the Bommie.

This is my first review so any constructive criticism will be taken kindly.
Cheers.

Zan
7 posts
25 Nov 2013 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

70 Kg
Intermediate
Style: Freestyle
Weather: 20-25knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Just my opinion

I have the trx 2014 10.5 meter, and have flown it in range 15-25knots. This kite is my one kite quiver. I just kite in the surf now and like being able to turn fast without getting yanked off my board whilst turning back for the wave. The TRX flicks over on and lets me ride with power when I need it. I think this kite excels in winds over 18 knots. Everything about the kite is great - build quality, agility, power, range and boost. Considering the significantly lower cost than the overseas competitors, I'm stoked im buying an aussie kite designed by a guy I can talk to at my local.

austead
NSW, 42 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tommygun said...

TRX 2014 10.5m

Rider: Weight,Level (85kg,intermediate)
Style: Freerid, Surf, , Freestyle
Weather: 15-30
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: (Been riding every day for 6 years. (90% of my riding
is on a TT flat water and surf)

My Comments:
After I had two days up at Hawks Nest to demo the TRX in 16-30 Knots I
was sold. Just for the record i was not sold on any of the previous TRX 2012 or older
10.5m kites as i did not like the bottom end and they felt a little light
passing through the power zone. I hear this was different for people who
ride strapless surfboards. I can easily say the 2014 TRX is most defiantly
different to its previous 2012 models.

When I went to purchase my New stunt Machine is was nice to find there was
a much larger colour combination choice than previous years. with added
brighter colours.

Unlike the earlier models of the TRX Kites i find the 2014 to have a lot
more bottom end and holds its self better over all. kites nicely in 16
knots in flat water on a TT.

I had the TRX 10.5m in 18 knots and found kite looping an absolute dream.
hearing the lines whistle behind me through the air with speed and still
have total control of the power gave my self a lot more confidence in
going more technical.
Later the wind picked up to about 30 knots.
In 30 knots i felt confident to see how much boost i could achive, the Dolphin Watching Cruise was going past and i could see the floor of the top level across from me, which is three story's high out of the water
Over all, between 16 and 30 knots its a lot of fun.

The TRX has a short bridle, no pulleys, no 5th line and no batterns with an agile 3 strut design making the kite feel light and responsive with out the potential wear and damage batterns, 5th line and pulleys can cause to the kite and lines.

For a wave kite, the TRX also boost, jumps, kiteloops, floats, has pop and is fun if your on flat water.

The build of the TRX is most defiantly solid. put it to the test when I
dropped it out at the Bommie at Long Reef Beach and had a set wave about 3
foot over my head smash in to it . (a thank
you to the other kiter who saved my board).The kite popped up and found it
fast and easy to relaunch before the next wave took me for another
unwanted ride.

The BAR
OK, The kite was most defiantly a 10/10 for me unfortunately i found the
floaters on the bar slid up the lines after beeing smashed by the set at the Bommie.

This is my first review so any constructive criticism will be taken kindly.
Cheers.

Tommygun
I was the the person who picked your board up out at the bommy with the yellow/ blue slingshot rally, I saw your kite go down, was suprized to see you relaunch after you got wiped out on that massive wave. Glad to help fellow kiters out when in trouble, it's karma, Chris has helped me out also. As far as the trx goes I tried em out on several occasions and found them to be very fast almost stunt like kite, very impressed wish griffen all the best with there kites

Tommygun
NSW, 26 posts
27 Nov 2013 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
austead said..

Tommygun
I was the the person who picked your board up out at the bommy with the yellow/ blue slingshot rally, I saw your kite go down, was suprized to see you relaunch after you got wiped out on that massive wave. Glad to help fellow kiters out when in trouble, it's karma, Chris has helped me out also. As far as the trx goes I tried em out on several occasions and found them to be very fast almost stunt like kite, very impressed wish griffen all the best with there kites

Cheers for for the help. Its good to know that fellow kiters have got your back when you need it. Was meaning to thank you on the beach, but you had left by the time i got back.

jboz
NSW, 39 posts
29 Nov 2013 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

I have the 10.5 2014 TRX. Have only had it out in three atrocious gusty southerlies. But so far, I can say it is a tonne of fun. You can chuck, loop and position the kite wherever it suits the wave best and the de-power is really good. I came from three years of BWS and the TRX definitely allows you to cut the power much more.

Will add more, when I have ridden it enough in varied conditions to have a reasonable opinion.

92kg.
Strapless Surfboard.

PS. The bridle seems short and compact to me.

jboz
NSW, 39 posts
3 Dec 2013 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jboz said..

I have the 10.5 2014 TRX. Have only had it out in three atrocious gusty southerlies. But so far, I can say it is a tonne of fun. You can chuck, loop and position the kite wherever it suits the wave best and the de-power is really good. I came from three years of BWS and the TRX definitely allows you to cut the power much more.

Will add more, when I have ridden it enough in varied conditions to have a reasonable opinion.

92kg.
Strapless Surfboard.

PS. The bridle seems short and compact to me.

Yep, they are good. Just ordered a 7m and a 12m. Controlable loops, both powered and unpowered, brilliant drift, great turning and good range.

Gumble
NSW, 22 posts
13 Dec 2013 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Just bought 2013 trx 12m 2nd hand off SB buy and sell. Couldn't quite work it out first 2 times I rode it ,as only a newby. Third time lucky.only ever ridden park and ride style kites before, this is the first kite I have had that has to be moving through the window to generate power, but will park and ride once speed is up. At first the turning speed was intimidating , but once used to it was pretty cool. The power was also a learning curve as it could go from almost nothing to full noise almost instantly but without tearing your arms out ( once your used to it!!).
Anyway, it mightn't be everyone's cup of tea, but more than worth a try if you want responsive fast kite , locally developed and a good price!!

PS
I don't know Chris from Griffin ,but i try and support local whenever I can, especially when they are at my end of the price spectrum.

Tommygun
NSW, 26 posts
2 Jan 2014 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

Just got my hands on the new Griffin bar & lines. They are very different to the first style.They have soft sturdy line floaters, new chicken loop with a pull down release and an under bar swivel. As soon as the wind is up ill let you know how it feels

catalaussie
128 posts
2 Jan 2014 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

any pic of the new bar?

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
3 Jan 2014 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

I don't understand why the website is not up to date. It should be the first place you can hear about news and info on new griffin products.

yendor
NSW, 262 posts
16 Jan 2014 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

I can't find there new website let alone a piture of the 2014 bar and lines?

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
22 Jan 2014 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
yendor said...
I can't find there new website let alone a piture of the 2014 bar and lines?

Yeah he must be too busy kiting,2014 kites are out and website has only 2013 models,no prices and no shop, a few posts regarding shop online in a couple of weeks and that was two months ago.lol he's slacker than me, great kites though.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Griffin 2014 TRX 7 Pro 10.5m and 14m" started by Mikedobee