NSW, 601 posts
23 Apr 2012 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 100kg - Experienced 9+ years
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: light wind
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: I've known Chris (owner of Griffin kites) for years, but I haven't always flown (or liked) his kites. Currently I fly a 9m Argo and 12m Griffin

My Comments:

Bit worried after seeing all the negative response to reviews, but there isn't a review for the 17m and frankly, sod the haters.
I've previously owned a 20m Aero, 16m North Rhino V, 17m Slingshot Fuel and tested several 'big' kites over the years and have decided that, if it isn't at least windy enough for a 12m, I'm not going to bother.

On a day kiting with Chris and another, the wind died and I started to pack up my 12m. Chris pumped up his new 17m and persuaded me to have a go.

First impression : Very light and nimble. It certainly didn't feel like any big kite I'd flown before.

On the water : It does feel like you're flying a smaller kite in larger winds, the kite responds well, goes upwind nicely and doesn't drag you downwind like some big kites tend to do. This is what big kites should be like. I was cruising upwind with very little effort. The kite is fun to fly and I never felt like I was fighting it.

Build Quality : I've not had any issues with my current Griffin quiver and I'm pretty hard on kites, this TRX looks built to a similar, if not better, standard.

Overall : Very impressive, Chris has managed to lose the big kite 'feel' whilst retaining the low wind capabilities. If you want to get out in light winds, I would thoroughly recommend this kite.

catalaussie
128 posts
23 Apr 2012 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Some pics of a TRX-17m red/black:

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
24 Apr 2012 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for posting your review Trant. It's great to hear feedback such as this as I have been resorting to using skim boards, rather than big kites, to get out in marginal conditions... this could open a new exciting avenue: skim & fun big kite!

I am going to have to demo this 17m, as it sounds too good to be true... I'll report back my thoughts.

What quiver sizing would you go for? 17/12/8 or 17/10 (as the 8m might never get used as I am 95kg)... I have been really happy with a 14/10 combination and wished there was a 9m kite so that the 17/12/9 combo was possible.

to those who have read this far and are concocting negative thoughts to share with us, move onto another thread or go for a surf until the wind returns.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
24 Apr 2012 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

this is the first non agent , bull****e pimping thread on the trx kite i have seen .

good review trant

Trant
NSW, 601 posts
24 Apr 2012 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

NathanG said...
What quiver sizing would you go for? 17/12/8 or 17/10 (as the 8m might never get used as I am 95kg)... I have been really happy with a 14/10 combination and wished there was a 9m kite so that the 17/12/9 combo was possible.

Hey Nathan, I imagine Chris would have a better idea than I would, I haven't tried the other TRX sizes.
However I thought I saw a 9m in the back of Chris' van, so that ideal 17/12/9 combo might be a reality.

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
24 Apr 2012 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

NathanG said...

wished there was a 9m kite so that the 17/12/9 combo was possible.

re above and only above....
Designed even numbers, 4 6 8 10 12 14 17. I like 9m as a size, so made myself a 9m, so its available.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
24 Apr 2012 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

I have only had a short stint on the kite so far just to get it up in the air. The wind is so marginal right now it is non existant. But I grabbed two kites to demo last Saterday and I wanted to see if it was as nimble as the reports say.
First, the kite does turn as quick as they say. It pivots quickly with no delay. The kite shoots across the wind window and just starts picking up speed. Easy peazy looping.
I can't give any more info until I can get it out in better conditions. Tomorrow looks okay, but then again today was suppose to be alright too and it has fizzled.
The kite is amazingly light.
Pretty frustrated right now having these two kites and no wind.
Will report back once as soon as the wind behaves.

Ps. I have no affiliation with any kites, so no pimping here, just my viewpoint.

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
24 Apr 2012 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

(Conflict of interest declaration: I've known Chris for 15+ years but don't have any financial or other relationship with Griffin Kites.)

My current kites are a Slingshot REV2 9m and REV 11m. 83kg, 10+ yrs kitesurfing experience.

After years of owning all variety of big kites for light wind, like Trant, I eventually came to the conclusion that if I couldn't fly my 11m on a surfboard then it wasn't worth the bother. To come to this conclusion, I tried everything: First it was a 16m Rhino, then 17m Fuel, a 20m and even a 28m kite. None of them worked well in light winds. Genereally, beyond a 12m kite the extra weight and wind resistance cancelled any benefit of the extra size.

I was the "other" with Chris and Trant on the day that Trant describes above. Just before we tried the new 17m TRX, I measured the wind speed at 6.4 knots with "gusts" to 10.1 knots so I didn't have many expectations.

First impression was that it was a very intuitive kite to fly and well-behaved in very light wind. No learning how to fly the kite required. You just launched it and off you went. Like most of the Griffin kites I'd flown previously, it seems to have a sweet spot in the window where you get a bit of a turbo-boost feeling -- sort of like the peak in the torque curve of an engine. Something nice to have at your disposal when you need that little bit of extra power to get you away from a wave about to land on your head or to get you over a flat section of a wave. And when the wind was in the 10 knot range, it turned very quickly.

I was quite surprised that on my 5'11" surfboard, I could easily go upwind, and even managed to tow into a few waves. The bar pressure is surprisingly light -- almost a bit too light (but I'm sure that can be adjusted) and it turned on a pivot very nicely for riding waves.

I know it sounds a bit trite, but it did feel a lot like a 12-13m kite in the way it handled. I didn't notice any tendency to backstall or otherwise misbehave like a lot of big kites can be prone to doing--unless you seriously over-sheeted it.

All up I'd give it top marks for the best big (13+m) kite I've had a chance to fly. Part of it is probably due to the fact that Chris has somehow managed to design a kite with only 3 struts, which keeps the weight down but still manages to maintain canopy rigidity. It's also a very pleasing-looking kite in the air.

Agree with Trant's impression: you don't ever feel like you're fighting the kite or struggling--even when the wind is quite light. It's a fun kite to fly and one of the only big kites I'd consider owning in that size range.

The only other kite I've flown that's similar would be the Ozone 15m C4, but the TRX has even better bottom end for super-light wind. (not surprising, with 2 sq m additional area)

All up, GREAT light wind kite.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
24 Apr 2012 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Okay, the wind came up this afternoon so I had a chance to head out. Blowing westerly, graph showed 9 to 12 knots, I think it would have been slightly above that. Late evening gusts around 16 I'd say.
First, this was a flat water spot, and although it was oily glass in some spots it is only due to the weed. Not really what I want the kite for. No where here to head in the surf in a westerly but I was keen to fly this kite.
I took out a TT for the first time since early Feb when I tore the mcl in my knee. First time I have had straps of any kind on in a while. I rode a 135 La Luz. Self launching was a piece of cake. As Robbo said, there is nothing to learn when flying this kite. Just get it up and get it moving. I was going upwind in 10 knots easy (82 kilos). After a few tacks I found the sweetspot and trimmed the kite slightly. Very smooth power.
Now, the killer is this, it downloops so ridiculously quick and easy, I actually started making a game for myself to see how low I could keep it in the window before committing to the loop and not have it hit the water. It just pivots and heads the other way. It is like the kite has gone to obedience school! Seriously, this is what I wanted in a light wind kite, something I can surf with in smooth conditions. A kite has to downloop well so you never outrun your kite. I spent an hour just doing downloop carve transitions to feel how smooth they were.
I sent the kite up for a couple little floater jumps, (still to green to test the knee and give the kite a full launch), I did find that several times I out ran the kite on the floaters, but I am sure that is just me and knowing when to pull the kite back into the zone. I think this could be quite the fun jumper though!
I don't know if I will have this kite long enough to test in the surf, work commitments might keep me out of the next southerly, but I would love to sneak out and try the 10mt TRX that is sitting in my garage!
I want one of these 17's.....

HappyG
VIC, 292 posts
24 Apr 2012 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys can you compare this to the Ozone Zhypher 17mtr I am after a light wind kite 17mtr, 10mtr and 7 mtr for surfing and TT fun...

Cheers good review

mc
NSW, 357 posts
24 Apr 2012 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

simple question to all trx owners, dealers tryers etc, bow, sle or c kite feel?, this would be good to know , i got rid of a rally as i just didnt like the feel compared to the rpm as i grew up with fuels, the feel of the kite and delivery of power through the turns is very important to the kiters that have around since the first c kites .

please let us know , i thought the argo was more sle , the trx looks very much c based in its design allot like the park, rpm, bandit, all 3 struts that have been around for a few years now .

cheers for now

catalaussie
128 posts
26 Apr 2012 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

TRX is a c-hybrid designed as an agile light fast turning freestyle/free-ride kite.

Bar pressure is light but responsive and really predictable. You can always feel exactly where the kite is.

It has pulleys in the front bridle and direct connexion in the rear lines. Also works great without pulleys, giving even a more C-kite feeling (not non-pulley kit being delivered with the kite as in case of the Chimera's, at least in the first kites deliveries).

Is really stable riding hooked and unhooked.

ice
VIC, 221 posts
30 May 2012 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Ok - these kites have been out for a while.

Can anyone provide more feedback please, preferably from kiters who have bought the kite at full rrp.

yendor
NSW, 262 posts
30 May 2012 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

For light wind cruising my 2011 17 argo is great. My question is which has better light wind perfermance in the sense of power. 17 argo or trx.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
30 May 2012 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

I have one , if you provide the wind I'll provide a quick review , Chris got a few 2 weeks ago but no wind to test , they have only just arrived apart from the demos about .
His new bar looks fantastic , above the bar de power , will tell you more when the wind blows .

Cheers

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
30 May 2012 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

still waiting for wind too. I have a new 17 in the bag just dying to get out. Next wind looks more like a 9 mt day instead of a 17

catalaussie
128 posts
31 May 2012 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Argo's bottom end is better (lower), but TRX's wind range is much higher.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
31 May 2012 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

catalaussie said...

Argo's bottom end is better (lower), but TRX's wind range is much higher.

can you elaborate on that? whats your low end and wind range on the argo v trx?

Also which has better upwind/turning speed?

catalaussie
128 posts
1 Jun 2012 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe I'm not the best reference for wind ranges, as I weigh 65kg and ride most of the time on a race board, but this is my experience. Hope to help, but better try if you can.

Notice that I'm comparing TRX 17m 2012 to Argo 17m 2011. Appart from this, my TRX-17 is an early desing (I think is the first production TRX-17m) and Chris told me that he has changed (improved) the bridles to get better low end, better stability at high winds and still fast turning). I'm waiting to receive the new bridles to change them. If someone have more info about TRX17 bottom end (or wind range with the latest version, please just tell me).

Bottom end:

Riding the Argo I got out in 7 knots average using a 174x48 race board and 40 m lines, riding comfortably from 8 knots average.

Actually I get out with the TRX in 8 knots average using a 183x70 race board and 30 m lines (no problem when the board is planning totally flat, but having some problems on the waterstart, as it is a really big board with high volume and big fins), riding comfortably from 9 knots average.

I've ride the TRX in 9 knots average using a small twintip (129x39) and 30 m lines. At the same time a friend, a little bit heavier and using a little bit bigger twintip, was riding the Argo going upwind better than me.

The difference seems not so much, but the Argo is pulling more forward in the window, and the TRX is pulling closer to the edge, so the feeling is that the Argo pull much more than the TRX. The TRX is a C-hibrid kite, so the feeling is really different, and the Argo simply pull like a track.

Top end:

Using the Argo my top end was not much higher than 15 knots (average) using the race board.

Actually with the TRX I've ride near to 20 knots average using a much bigger board. Riding at 20 knots is not the most comfortabe, but this bigger range allows me to go more than 10km upwind (total track of 40 km) in really changing conditions… so I'm planning now a 40km's upwind track (total 100 km's)…GREAT!!! I'll let you know and will post the GPS track if I finally can do it... :)

Upwind perfomance:

The TRX is clearly better (better upwind angle), as the Argo pulls forward in the window and the TRX flies closer to the edge. Only in really light wind conditions the Argo could be better as it pulls more than the TRX and in this case, more power means better upwind perfomance.

Turning:

The Argo turns fast for it's size, but the TRX is still faster, and it pivots really well (even better the the Argo).

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
1 Jun 2012 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

nice review! sounds like the trx is a better overall kite. Turning speed and wind range are very important in big kites. This has always been an issue on large kites I have flown.

Have you had any issues with relaunch on the trx?

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
4 Jun 2012 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

i have been trying to get the TRX out in decent wind, had a go on the 12m in very light wind and found it to be very fast turning with a nice feel on the bar.

i have been holding back on writting a review as i have not had enough time on the kite but overall its a very nice kite!

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
5 Jun 2012 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just to let the current TRX owners know, I have some new bridles coming in 7 days - ish which improves the performance and allows for pullyless + a bit more power. If you have a TRX drop me a email and I will post a free bridle upgrade to you.

catalaussie
128 posts
6 Jun 2012 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Bennie,

Really have not needed to relaunch the kite on the water as I'm racing most of my time and, fortunately for me... :) ..., the kite has still not been dropped on it (easy to keep flying even in really light wind conditions).

I only can tell you that it's really easy to auto-relaunch on the sand when kiting alone (even in 8-9 knots averages), but not tried to relaunch on the water... Sorry.

When I receive the new bridles I'll try in light wind conditions and just tell you.

catalaussie
128 posts
14 Jun 2012 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Still waiting for wind to try your TRX's 17m?

Did you tried them?

SydPete
WA, 64 posts
17 Jun 2012 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a good kite, Im currently looking for a few new kites and something big for light winds with my sector 60 is on the cards. Have had a number of Griffin kites over the years and still do, have been very happy with them always done what I wanted.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
17 Jun 2012 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

I got to have a spin on a 14m trx in 12-15 knots the other day. I weigh 80kg and was on a light wind twintip. I had been riding my 10m argo for an hour before switching. The 14m trx was on 20m lines, the argo 25m.

First off I will say that the trx is fast in the air, it turns very quickly, probably as fast as my 10m .I was very surprised at this. It really didn't feel or behave like a 14m kite. The bar pressure was light, definatly lighter than my argo(which is medium bar pressure). It went up wind well, probably fractionaly better than the argo. It also downlooped nicely. Like I said before I was really surprised at how nimble this 14m felt. It sure did live up to all the hype I have heard on this forum. I definatly enjoyed riding this kite.

Downsides you ask? I didn't realy feel I had noticebly better bottom end grunt compared to my very grunty 10m argo(this was a shock as the trx is 4m/40% bigger) this kite wouldn't be a light wind option for me. Also I couldn't jump as high on this kite. Maybe I need more time on it, but It just didn't seem to have as much lift. Keep in mind I only had 20mins on this kite and the wind was light 12-15knots. Also only 20m lines. Longer lines would probably give more low end power.

Overall I was very impressed, this kite just felt really nice. I think With more time to dial in jumps this kite would be awesome, I would love to have a go on the 10/12m sizes as I think they would be even better.

radman4
678 posts
18 Jun 2012 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

I find the 14 feels much better on 24 m,you dont notice the kite getting any slower and it developes way better low end ,feels way smoother in the loops as well,also boosts way better with the longer lines.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
2 Jul 2012 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

I have finally had a chance to get out on the 17 trx, good lightwind conditions for testing. I wanted something I could get out in 10 knots or so. Generally I ride a surfboard, but for these westerlies I was in some flat water on a 135tt. I am 85 kilos(winter ballast).
The first couple of times I rode in conditions 8 to 15 ish knots, struggled getting the kite to sit up and launch. I kite alone most of the winter, so I have to rely on myself. I can't say why it was so lumbering to get it to sit up, but with loads of coercing up she would go. Once in air all was good. Kite is very responsive and easy to fly. As the wind eased on the lighter side of 10 knt it was a struggle to hold ground.
Every session I had involved a struggle to get the kite up in the air at the beginning, both on land, and having the kite sit on the water. Once up, all good.
Today I changed it over to a pullyless system after getting the measurements from Chris. Simple and only took a few moments. Went out in 10 to 14 knots at the same place I have been riding lately and had no issues getting the kite out of the water. The better upside is that the kite has more power....and the kite has not lost any speed on its turning. Really is amazing how such a small thing can make a big difference, so for those of you who are struggling with the bigger kite, this has worked unreal.
One more thing I would recommend, the big dump valve is great, but it has to be super clean or they can leak. The kite valve has a great cover for it, but with wind blowing sand is sure to follow. What I do is carry a bottle of water with me, pick up the leading edge and put my hand on the opposite side of the valve opening. Pour the water through, (your hand stops the water entering the bladder), swish it out and you are good to go .
I am headed overseas to a light wind tropical destination to work for a year, I needed a good kite that fits the bill. Can't wait to dial this kite in!

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
2 Jul 2012 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

The TRX performs alot better without pulleys and is designed for 25m lines, The trx comes with pulleys by default. The kite get alot more power and faster turning speed without pulleys and on 25m lines, I designed the kite to be hot swapable from pulleys to pulley less in about 60 seconds and wanted to give the choice of pullyless or with pulleys. Looks like pullyless is better for the trx.

bennie
Drop me an email with your details, as per above post I will post out a free bridle upgrade, you will get alot more power and faster Turing out of your 14m without pulleys. Also use 25m lines not 21s

catalaussie
Ta for your comments, your bridle upgrade is on its way

mc
NSW, 357 posts
3 Jul 2012 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

chris you were going to send me a new bridle i havent got it yet, can you please send without pullys and i will swap over asap , do you need my address ? mitch

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
3 Jul 2012 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

mc said...

chris you were going to send me a new bridle i havent got it yet, can you please send without pullys and i will swap over asap , do you need my address ? mitch

You did not include your kite size in the last message, PM me the details and I will get one sent asap

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Griffin TRX 17m" started by Trant