Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Kite review Best TS 10 2017

Created by markryall > 9 months ago, 11 Sep 2017
markryall
QLD, 11 posts
11 Sep 2017 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Looking for advice to upgrade to a 2nd hand 2017 Best TS 10 kite (low hours) for mostly flat water and some surf (Gold Coast). Have cabrinha's and ozone kites at the moment and wanted some knowledge on the performance of the kite. It is a good brand

KiteBud
WA, 1543 posts
11 Sep 2017 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

The TS is a good kite, it's powerful and versatile for both TT and Surf. A friend of mine used to ride for Best and compete in the surf with the TS, seemed to work quite well for him. I also rode it many times in various sizes, was happy with the performance.

The kites did have some issues with valves so you'd want to check those carefully, there also were recalls about faulty CL quick release (hard to release) and also another issue with the safety line not sliding properly through the bar. I've had some scary moments with those faulty safety systems, so I cannot recommend the bar safety wise.

Also you may be interested to know that Best doesn't exist anymore. kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2396495

A lot of pages to read about this, but the short version is that the owner/investor is behind bars and there is now a new brand which was recently launched by a few previous Best employees. This new brand is called Eleveight Kites. As you can see their kites look a lot like the Best...

I wouldn't expect any support or warranty (even if you were willing to pay for it) in case you have any issue with a Best kite.

Christian

tbranse
WA, 49 posts
19 Sep 2017 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

I'm riding the 2017 TS in 9 and 12. Best as such still exists but they went to a pure online model now so not sure if or how long they can keep that up.
The TS is a great kite for freeride/freestyle. It's super stable and predictable with good low end and decent slack. It's quite slow though so if you are planning to go more towards surf it's maybe not the best kite for you.
The safety is not an issue anymore, since 2016 Best uses the North safety which is as good as it gets. Only problem with the bar is that the grip is this super hard suede material so prepare yourself for some blisters after long sessions. Only 2014/15 had valve problems so don't ever buy a Best kite from those years, all newer years are fine.

Youngbreezy
WA, 1006 posts
21 Sep 2017 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

I just got a near new but broken and in pieces best bar today. ( cheapy off Gumtree) I really just bought it for the lines and bar and I will use those to modify into a custom setup.

It came with this cl/ QR assembly, this could work in the custom bar I am thinking of making but I don't really like the look of it, the release mechanism is kinda funky and it does feel quite difficult to release. After reading the words from cbulota I am very suspect on it.

What do you reckon too dodgy??

Bara
WA, 647 posts
22 Sep 2017 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Ive had a few TSs over the years. Use them as an allrounder including in the waves

Currently have a 9 and 12 2016. Never had an issue with the QRs personally. Yes some of the 2014 / 15 valves used bad glue that melted in extreme heat (car boots) but if they have been replaced then no dramas. Certainly no need to avoid them - just be aware of the issue. I bought a 2nd hand 2014 and reglued the valves and never had a problem after that for 2 seasons.

Pity the biatch who sold it to me off here never fessed up to the problem but thats another story...

warranty replacement has been good till now with a full replacement kite provided for the dodgy glue issue on my 2015 kite. Guess thats now a wait and see if buying new

Personally i reckon the 2015 model was superior to the 2016 - faster turning and more hang time. Not sure where the 17 fits but its a lesson that later year kites are not always better. Sometimes when your on a good thing stick to it but sales departments require tweaks for new sales so there ya go

Re the mixed use I recon they are a good option. Excellent freeride kite with biiig boosts and hangtime but still enough drift to get by in the surf especially the goldy. Very good getting upwind vs most pure wave kites. More suited to an active style of flying in the waves but if your crossing over thats probably the way you will go anyway.

Markyb4
WA, 38 posts
9 Jan 2018 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

I have 2016 TSs which I haven't used much, but already starting to see a lot of creasing in the canopy material, especially towards the trailing edge area. I realize that this has occurred from the kites flapping in the wind on the beach, but I don't leave them lying around for long!
Have also noticed that other kites which have had much more use and left on the beach much longer don't have the same creasing that I'm seeing in the TS canopy.
The trailing edge is reinforced (I think) to increase rigidity when flying, but I wonder if this 'detail' also puts more stress on the canopy when its on the beach and flapping. Yes I know - don't leave it pumped on the beach at all...

Also seems like the canopy material is very fine compared to some others that I've looked at, which maybe good for performance but not so good for durability.

Bobby555
NSW, 7 posts
4 Mar 2018 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

I am looking to buy a Best TS 2017. I saw a review mentioning relaunch is not very good with this kite. Does anyone has any issue with relaunch?

airsail
QLD, 1362 posts
5 Mar 2018 5:27AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like Best will go down the Switch route this year
www.bestkiteboarding.com/en-us/gear/preview-2018

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
5 Mar 2018 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

airsail said..

it was the best route long before it was the switch route.

airsail
QLD, 1362 posts
5 Mar 2018 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Adam'KiteRepair said..

airsail said..

it was the best route long before it was the switch route.

But they never sold direct via the net, well not in this area. Seemed to be via someone on the beach who brought a few kites in, not though shops.

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1071 posts
5 Mar 2018 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

cbulota said..
Also you may be interested to know that Best doesn't exist anymore. kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2396495

Have you read around Page 28?

They are still in business. Their website is still up. And they've released 2018 TS models and more. I don't know about the arrest though. That's news to me.

dbabicwa
WA, 808 posts
16 Mar 2018 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Owned TS 2015 (16?).
Never again. The fabric was worst on the market. Like a silk, only after 1y of usage. The crispy feel gone in like hours. Fabric porous as...Durability zero. Bar? God, worst feeling ever. Current bar is great tho, but do not like a mini 5th. Great price on the bar atm, $100 + shipping 90. ;)

GlideFish
WA, 9 posts
26 Aug 2018 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

wouldn't send your money, had people pay for stuff recently or request warranty's they then ask for an address in Europe and if you can't provide one they just don't send any goods out. Lots of store's that used to sell Best kites still have hold of gear your best bet is to get it cheap off a retailer at least you get the kite, rather then pay best to receive nothing.

If you want a best kite, grab an eleveight you pay a bit more but worth it for product support imo, same kites same designers just new names.

Bara
WA, 647 posts
27 Aug 2018 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GlideFish said..
wouldn't send your money, had people pay for stuff recently or request warranty's they then ask for an address in Europe and if you can't provide one they just don't send any goods out. Lots of store's that used to sell Best kites still have hold of gear your best bet is to get it cheap off a retailer at least you get the kite, rather then pay best to receive nothing.

If you want a best kite, grab an eleveight you pay a bit more but worth it for product support imo, same kites same designers just new names.

haha pretty transparent attempt at bagging best mate. Yeah the owners a knob by all accounts but your not flying him your flying a kite right?

Got my TS's delivered from spain to WA no worries.

If you are worried pay with a credit card and if they dont arrive (which they will) then you can always cancel the payment with the onus on best to prove they delivered the kite.

Shame they dont do a 7m on this deal as thats all thats missing from my quiver but its 9m and up only it seems.

yeah product support is a good thing for sure but its not worth a whole extra kite is it?

GlideFish
WA, 9 posts
27 Aug 2018 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bara said..

GlideFish said..

haha pretty transparent attempt at bagging best mate. Yeah the owners a knob by all accounts but your not flying him your flying a kite right?

Got my TS's delivered from spain to WA no worries.

If you are worried pay with a credit card and if they dont arrive (which they will) then you can always cancel the payment with the onus on best to prove they delivered the kite.

Shame they dont do a 7m on this deal as thats all thats missing from my quiver but its 9m and up only it seems.

yeah product support is a good thing for sure but its not worth a whole extra kite is it?

I don't mind best kites mate, owner was probably a good guy I never met him,. You are right though it doesn't matter what you fly as long as your enjoying yourself.

just passing on the warnings I got from others when looking at that deal.
Everything's only worth what someones willing to pay, whether it's a kite or support each to their own.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Kite review Best TS 10 2017" started by markryall