pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
4 Jun 2014 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight,Level (intermediate)
Style: Freeriding, Surf, Hooked
Weight: 75kg
Weather: 8 - 15 knots
Build Quality: 10/10 (haven't broke it yet so...)
Satisfaction: 10/10
Warning : mini novela sized review here...

Got this shot from the Shinn website.

My Comments:
Nige at East Coast Kitesurfing sent me this demo while he's waiting for the 150 x 50's to come in from OS.
My mate has the King George 146 x 50 and, for a big TT it gives amazing performance, so I was keen as to get on the newer model.

This TT is almost not like a LW TT in any way I am used to.

The 146 Kgee feels very similar to the Dundee and the Red, but with more low end, and it is smooooth. It does everything they will do, it has a slightly cruisier feel, but with a small timing adjustment, it's pretty negligible for what I'm doing. Having said that, this board is not a cab custom or a naish dub but it will do every move an intermediate like me can dish on it. I love those wakestyle Twinnies but they won't ride in all conditions and this board will. I'm always in waves but I scored some butter 6" deep flat water a week ago and this board was just sick :p

In the waves, I landed my first Kiteloop backroll on this board, (16m kite) yesterday, and my first double backroll (11m kite) last wednesday - so i'm pretty happy with this board.
It's a miniscule bit harder to front roll on than the smaller Shinns but it lands so smooth. I've been over rotating the landings for what ever reason (too much pop? haha ) an' so I just end up using it with a downloop an toeside carve (never done these before yesterday either..) and bob's me uncle. Any way and the board just make's all this so easy. Smoooth is the word and my knees thank me for it.

The KGeorge my mate has is the best LW TT I ever rode but every now and then you still get that "oh well, it is a LW TT feeling" when you go to pop a reo on a lip or to cut back against your slacklining kite or what ever. However it still has a couple of knots more low end than this smaller Kgee which is ultimately what I'm after right now, but the performance of this TT makes me think I could just ditch my smaller TT and get 2 Kgees, hmmm..
This board could easily replace my smaller TT..one day..soon. I really like it. It is basically just a big performance TT. (thinking aloud here lol rub hands together like a bond villain, hah)

It doesn't act like a LW board in any way except in getting me onto a smaller kite.

The 11m session I mentioned was an 11m Renegade in 12-14kts. I was the only kite with less than 13 on it holding ground. All the 12's were doing the walk, bar one on a surfboard, and so were some of the 13's. I actually hopped on a 14 Cat on a 138 north TT and I started sinking all over the place. So basically this board saved the session for me as my next kite is a 16m and 12+ kts is getting hairy on that.

Other LW's I have owned or rode
the North Spike 161, North phantom 155, Naish haze 161.
Crazyfly Cruiser, Litewave 161, and the LF over drive.
Some massive old school mutants including a John Doyle.

The best LW of these was the Spike, but it was hard to turn and jump.
Best performance was the Haze but it's LW is non existant as it's so skinny.
King George head an shoulders above these and the 146. 46 Kgee another leap beyond that.

Hit nige up to demo this board if this sounds like a good option for you.

I'm really looking forward to the 150 but I'm not expecting the same performance that this "mini-me" version has provided. It's awesome.
If any one has got or tried the Kgee 150 or this one, please post your thoughts on it, I'd love to hear how everyone else is going with these boards?

Thanks for reading all this!

Cheers

ste
WA, 508 posts
4 Jun 2014 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

You had a go on the w18 speedball? If so, how would that compare?
Speedball is a fun board for sure!

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
4 Jun 2014 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Good review.
Backs up feedback I have had in the shop from our Demo 146 & 144.
Most will say its the 1st LW board they have ridden that actually feels & rides like a twinny.
A couple of big dudes have bought them as their regular TT - no complaints and one froths over its performance in the waves.
I know what you mean though. Despite the unexpected performance they still give you that big flat board feeling occassionally.
We have both demos for sale if anyones interested. Both in mint condition.
PM me.

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
4 Jun 2014 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ste said..

You had a go on the w18 speedball? If so, how would that compare?
Speedball is a fun board for sure!

yeh ste, to be fair I only got on it 2 or 3 times (the W18) and I wasn't frothing on it, but I've read you have to give it time to dial in, and those that do definitely love them, so, it's a feel thing I guess. What I can say is this Kgee defo has better LW ability and has a more traditional performance TT feel. Maybe the W20 will change that? With some very rough surface area math That's 51cm wide x 132 = 6632 cm sq compared to 6716 cm sq for the Kgee. From what I can figure the W series are a bigger guys small TT, right? Do any lightweights you know ride them? I didn't think my 75 pies was enough to suit them.

Thanks Puppet :) glad to hear your crew are froffin on them too. I didn't know there was a 144? Are you sure you haven't got too many boards m8? lol

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
5 Jun 2014 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Comparison notes here.
The King Gee is a traditional LW board which apart from claims of actually giving some real performance rather than just gliding you along it remains a big LW board.
The Speedball on the other hand offers a super twitchy style of performance - the opposite of a LW board - but still offers up the ability to keep up the pace when theres not enough wind for your regular twinny. The trick with the Speedball is to lay it up flat when the wind drops or you lose power in waves. This is when it acts like a skim board acroos the surface allowing the rider to sort out some power from the kite before sinking & dragging power from the kite.
When you dial in the edging > flattening ability thats when the fun of the Speedball delivers - esp when ridden in waves.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
5 Jun 2014 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pattiecannon said..

Thanks Puppet :) glad to hear your crew are froffin on them too. I didn't know there was a 144? Are you sure you haven't got too many boards m8? lol

YEP there is a 144x49 & a 146x46 - both 2012/13 series - NB these are actual measured dimensions.

And YEP Im absolutely sure I have too many boards here.
Take your pic of either of these - brand new, never even demoed, going out in our "Final Days - Make Me an Offer" Sale

NB - & YEP KSS is changing hands on the 1/7/14. Ive got more bargains going than nits in my short & curlies.
Join us on FB to get the benefit of our sellout "Make Me an Offer" deals.
All bets off at end of the month.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Shinn King Gee 146 x 46 review" started by pattiecannon