Forums > Land Kiting Buggying

2009 Ozone Frenzy FXY Review

Created by Rhys McClintock > 9 months ago, 31 Oct 2008
Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
31 Oct 2008 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Been flying the new 10m Frenzy for the last few days on both a buggy and MTB and i'm really impressed.
Being from a kitesurfing background, I was using a 10m Manta as a benchmark foil kite, and a 9m Ozone Edge 2 as a benchmark inflatable.

The FXY is heaps nicer than the Manta in most regards, The bar pressure is light but feedback is maintained through the smooth depower range. Of course it's not as much as the Inflatable but its got WAAAAY more depower than the Manta has.

Upwind is fantastic, there would honestly be a 5-10 degree difference in the pointing between the manta and FXY. On the beach at Bribe it was the difference between crawling back to the bags and flying along on 2 wheels.

Took it out in 20knots (SB measured) the other day on both buggy and MTB and it coped well... The higher aspect manta would have depowered a bit more by shooting out of the window when sliding the buggy, but the Frenzy just kept on pulling due to its medium aspect... Depends on what you like - that might be a bad thing for you?

Turning is fast, not as fast as 9m Edge but quicker and lighter than the Manta is... Its a really nice kind of turn, with lots of power all the way through the window and a steady pull from the front lines keeping bar pressure light.

MTB Hangtime is sweet, Nicer than my 9m Edge 2, got some nice floaty board off's down pat (huge achievement on land) Can't jump a buggy yet so won't say.

Bar and Bag are of Ozone's usual standard... The bags are more like serious mountain packpacks with all the straps and such to support a heap of gear while walking around in the snow I presume... They are sweet anyway, and the bar is pretty similar to last years, Y bridal works well...

Anyways Give us a shout if you wanna ride in the Brisbane area, or if you want any more info.
Kitepower QLD has the full range of 2009 Ozone foils available, including the new FLOW in most sizes :)

Nas
VIC, 45 posts
1 Nov 2008 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Good review. Kinda been looking around for a 12m depower, not a 10 though and tossing up between manta and frenzy.

Thanks,

Nas.

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
1 Nov 2008 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Can't really comment on the new 2009 Manta, My test kite was the original Manta from 2 years ago...
But the choice would depend on what you do with a Buggy... Crusing+Freestyle = go the Frenzy. Goin Fast = Manta

Velocity
WA, 185 posts
2 Nov 2008 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Nice review Rhys.

I heard the Frenzy FXY was the pick for 09 between the Manta & Frenzy from a few people!

Cheers
Luke

Subscribe

Forums > Land Kiting Buggying

"2009 Ozone Frenzy FXY Review" started by Rhys McClintock