Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Designing class 5 yacht

Created by SJK > 9 months ago, 31 Dec 2012
Hiko
1229 posts
18 Jul 2015 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Stephen Dont give up on your wheels If you do what aus 230 suggests I am sure all will be good
You will need to make some room for a layer of tape I have made several wheels now We learn as we go!
I forgot to mention the 21 inch motorbike tubes I have used them as well Very heavy duty with a strong valve mounting also
Here in NZ they can be cheaper than bike tubes

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
18 Jul 2015 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Steve
Can you post a link to the site where you got your rims from please?

SJK
43 posts
18 Jul 2015 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

The website where I got the rims from is: http://www.classic-cycle.de/en/Ready-Spanned-Wheels-Rims-Parts/Rims/

I use polyester resin and have also grooved the outside wall of my aluminum hub, a picture of my hub can be found on page 3 of this topic. Is it possible that my problems are caused by the fact that the outside diameter of the hub is rather small? Could a flange help, which can be used to make a better bonding to the outside wheel discs?

By the way, I use 26" rear wheels, I thought that was also the size you all use? How do you fit 21" motorcycle tubes in that, or did you go to a smaller size of wheels?

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
18 Jul 2015 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Take your wheel to a motorcycle shop and ask for a front inner tube to fit.
Don't tell them the diameter or they will tell you the don't have any.
Apparently motorcycle rims are measure differently or use different length inches but they do fit perfectly im using them.

Hiko
1229 posts
19 Jul 2015 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Good advice above

Tyres and tubes can be a minefield of different standards of measurement

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
19 Jul 2015 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

just get 21" x 2.5" they are a tight fit but perfect for owe wheels

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
19 Jul 2015 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

can you put up some pics of your wheel damage so we can have a look at your glass layup. are you doing the final glueing with epoxy or polyester

SJK
43 posts
23 Jul 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the answers, if I have problems with punctures of my tube more regularly, I will certainly have a look in a motorcycle shop and see what they have to offer.

For the wheel damage, I didn't yet open up the wheels, so I only have pictures from the outside (both sides of one wheel):

You can see that the hub has shifted approx. 2 mm in the axial direction.
The next picture is from the previous time I had the same problem, unfortunately I did not take any pictures when I repaired it. Here you can see that after shifting in axial direction, the hub also shifted a bit in radial direction, resulting in a bigger gap in the outside wheel disc. (the broken weld that you see on the picture was a bad weld, I improved it already and now that part doesn't cause any problems anymore).

During the whole progress I only use polyester resin.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Designing class 5 yacht" started by SJK