Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Lake lefroy class 5 project 2013/14/15.......

Created by landyacht > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2013
gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
22 Jan 2014 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

meteye says you blokes are enjoying a bit-o-wet?. have watched it move down for the last week or so

quite intense, but it seems you mob-o-blokes have gone to sleep, spect it's been too warm to bother, for me

roll on May 1 every thing moving well toward it.......have a good weekend.......Three Cheers for Australia,

" Hip, Hip Hooray, " "Hip Hip Hooray," "Hip hip Hooray" !!!!.........Go The Aussie.

if ya in hadelaide drop in to Salisbury celebrations , main north road sunday 26 and cop an earful of The Northern Ukes [ NUkes ]

sn
WA, 2775 posts
23 Jan 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

I have thought about polystyrene pontoons a couple of times- based on the stuff industrial coolrooms are made from,
but before I could find any my lake dried up enough to use again

The depleted Gnangara water aquifier drains anything that falls into Lake Gnangara faily quickly, and is one of the few benefits resulting from over population and the water consumption in Perth outstripping the available supply.
-----------------------

Just how deep does the water get at Lefroy?
Any fridge panels or foam offcuts in Kal?

Or how about stitch and glue flat bottom / open top plywood pontoons that can stack inside each other for transporting.
They could plug into the existing chassis rear axle sections, and have a cross support running from side to side at the front of the mini.

Either fiddle around with trying to use the front wheel for steering- or run cables to the back for a conventional rudder.

Whatever you try- you will need plenty of floatation as you dont want to drag your keels in the shallow water you have on lefroy.

Might be worth sweeping the concrete shed floor, parking the mini, and drawing some chalk lines to get ideas going!

stephen

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
23 Jan 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

been thinking of taking the sailing canoe out to the yacht club just for the photo op

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
2 Feb 2014 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think there's much rush to get our land-yachts finished, fortunately there are other alternatives

BenBoulder
WA, 261 posts
2 Feb 2014 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Nice

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
4 Feb 2014 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Will it be dry by September

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
4 Feb 2014 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sylk said..

I don't think there's much rush to get our land-yachts finished, fortunately there are other alternatives

so how was sailing on thin water?

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
5 Feb 2014 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

didn't you get a sail boat in landy? i thought there may be some great diverse inland shots to drool over

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
7 Feb 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Ive been working flat out since the rain .
destroyed the $500 brushcutter, then the hedges went ballistic as well.
sundays suddenly have a cycle roadracing distance attached , and im mentoring/designing 7 class 5 yachts.
i will get out for a saoil eventually

sn
WA, 2775 posts
7 Feb 2014 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
landyacht said..
sundays suddenly have a cycle roadracing distance attached

pennyfakething and penny-stig getting taken for a cruise?

stephen

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
9 Feb 2014 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

recon after the next weather happening, seems to be another brewing to the north

that could possibly land up in the lake. Strange they seem to have sprouted over land

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
11 Feb 2014 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

yup, were watching that one Joe, last sunday we bashed through to the claypan ,but it had 6'" water and the biggest fattest mozzies Ive ever seen. I wouldnt even go to king of the west or gidgi with those mozzies out

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
12 Feb 2014 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

well you seem to have missed 25mm top up landy but i suspect the pink lake may have accumulated some moisture ...chook?

according to the EYE......... it is exceedingly hot round adelaide and the moisture content at 11 am is 3.... strange

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
19 Feb 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Think I need some axles & wheels next...

BenBoulder
WA, 261 posts
21 Feb 2014 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of outriggers and you would have a nice trimaran.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
26 Feb 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

alright ya buggers, holiday is over back into it this sunday AFTER 11.00 AM .
I have to go out and come last in a 30something km bike race first

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
27 Feb 2014 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Musta bin some holiday....Ya didn't get a word out edgeways....hi Promo

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
10 Mar 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

slyk turned up so we designed and built his front spar. fork components all cut out ready to be prepped and welded, whenever you lads are ready to turn up. report for the lake is pond 1 4/5 dryed out , main lake drying but rough as crap

new mini stig approves

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
16 Mar 2014 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

kambalda boysarrived today and got yet more cutting and prep today. we workrd towards an alignment jig and pinning down the final measurenets for the axles. saw some pics of an interesting seat being prepped by andrew , hope to see the pics soon

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
17 Mar 2014 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Paul when you get a spare moment can you give me your best estimate of the as built measurement from the front axle to the center of the Y piece.
I'll plug that into Autocad and re render this sketch just to get a better idea of what a solution could look like.

Also starting to think 8deg might not be enough camber, 12 looks nicer on paper.

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
21 Mar 2014 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Brian & Andrew's pods starting to take shape just as we are beginning to see dry patches on the lake. Come on Kalk people time to catch up!!

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
21 Mar 2014 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

My mast is set at 12% with my airtrack sail. But I guess it depends on the mast post position (that is why mine is adjustable to get the balance right. Doing a great job there guys.
The lake is drying out?

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
30 Mar 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Well thanks to an early start with Paul on Sat we progressed the build to the point where she needed a test run.

Brimming with excitement I headed back to Kambalda with a ute load of bits of landyacht. Even the rolling thunderstorms didn't dampen my enthusiasm, Sun morning and a quick check revealed that the creeks had been flowing overnight "BUGGER". Of up red hill to locate an exposed patch of salt, hmm better take overalls this might be a bit damp.

Managed to find an exposed patch of salt, same corner of the lake where had that unfortunate test flight last spring.

Minor miscalculations meant we decided to start with straight axles and see how she sails before getting ahead of ourselves.

I'd love to report she sails like a dream but the promising breeze in Kambalda had dropped to a zephyr by the time we got setup. I can report she sails and is very comfortable to lie in while hoping for wind. After an hour of forlorn hope the GPS said max speed 10.5kmh distance covered 1.2km.

To add insult to injury as i lifted the yacht back onto the racks the wind finaly figured out where it wanted to blow from and settled into a decent breeze again.

Better luck next weekend.

Manny thanks to Landyacht for all your time, knowledge and patience I think I owe you a case or two and probably more by the time she's finished.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
1 Apr 2014 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

considering its supposed to be sitting on 400x8 rims its looking just right. lake looks crap
but that means its perfect to test that suspension front end. dont overinflate that front tyre.
We now have all the relevant maesurements , so get in touch with me fellas if you want to finish those yachts, I annt chasing you

stella artois,tiger,boags,REDBACK(not light)cascade

sn
WA, 2775 posts
1 Apr 2014 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

going by the look of the lake, its just as well you have suspension

might need to think about the rear axle as well if tou want to stop your kidneys swapping sides

stephen

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
2 Apr 2014 2:38AM
Thumbs Up

an 4x4atv and a heap of 16"tyers probably tow 10wide and do rounders will fix a great surface

one square mile per hour

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
4 Apr 2014 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

That yacht looks great. the seat is very much stealth bomber. has any of the lake dried out yet, I will probably be up that way in May and was thinking about brining a yacht.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
4 Apr 2014 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

as you can see its dried out REALLY rough , so we need some rain showers to flatten things out. would be great if you brought the 5 so we can compare the new yachts with the state of the states art.
the claypan has dried and got damp again so its gonna come up REALLY smoooooooth

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
6 Apr 2014 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Vic
The lake is more dry than wet just the wet bit is where we launch from atm, a decent southerly would move it over to the StIves causeway.
Right now if you could launch from the old clubhouse you would have plenty of room.

The ponds are all dry I gave my new toy a good test run on Sat clocked up 50km on the 1st pond.
Feels ok just need to put it alongside some other yachts to get a better idea of how she goes.

Let me know when your going to be here Ill come out & play.

CORRECTION: The ponds were dry till 5 min ago, just had a thunder storm come through, will let you know the damage later in the week.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
9 Apr 2014 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

The yacht looks great, really like the stealth fighter seat style!

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Lake lefroy class 5 project 2013/14/15......." started by landyacht