Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Skiwi build

Created by tryhard > 9 months ago, 26 Oct 2014
tryhard
222 posts
21 Dec 2014 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a close up of the axle.I bought the solid round section from a local scrap dealer who sells by weight.This had been tapped at either end which made it easy to bolt a retainer washer on the outside of the wheel

tryhard
222 posts
21 Dec 2014 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

I must say I was in serious denial about the screw holes being in the wrong place.My internal narrative went along the lines of "Oh I'll be alright- just take it for a spin if it breaks we can fix it then". But Self Preservation kicked in and told the first narrator to shut up.So off I went the recycling shop and bought 2 more sets of skis

tryhard
222 posts
21 Dec 2014 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

What an amazing pile of hardware! Surely some boffin in the forum must be able to suggest some use of this stuff in a build?

tryhard
222 posts
21 Dec 2014 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

And here are the horrible holes.I have never paid so much attention to such small holes in my life.I'll harvest the useable sections more up towards the front end this time

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tryhard said..
And here are the horrible holes.I have never paid so much attention to such small holes in my life.I'll harvest the useable sections more up towards the front end this time

I'd keep the holes. They'll come in handy for attaching the back support to the seat tubes

tryhard
222 posts
23 Dec 2014 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

H

Here's my neighbor's handiwork.There's a bit of fiddling to do to make it work but I can sit in it without my butt hitting the butt protector

Hiko
1229 posts
23 Dec 2014 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good I guess you are going to put something along the top edge of that aluminium to make it safe and a seat belt too
to hold you in when things get wild You cant be far away now Where do you intend to sail, beach ? car park? or somewhere else?

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
23 Dec 2014 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tryhard said..
This so nice with its new paint job I might just keep it in my backyard so it doesn't get dirty

you'll have to have a good think about that front linkage as you have ALMOST NO STEERING.
the problem with those types of joints is that they have to bend AND twist . and they usually cant twist enough.
have a look at hiko's polyeurathane joints.
as a cheap alternative 1/2 steel reiforced hydraulic hose does the same job

tryhard
222 posts
24 Dec 2014 3:56AM
Thumbs Up

I don't understand the no steering comment.When I push on the pedal it pushes the wheel over.The linkage has a universal ball joint at either end.Can you explain further?
And yes I intend to put something on the top edge of the aluminium.I thought of plastic hose slit along its length and forced over the edge?Any other ideas?
As to the maiden voyage I have arranged for the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra to play some suitable stirring piece ,probably Wagner, as I hurtle along a popular Dunedin Beach which I have arranged to be cleared of people who might get in the way.My Orthopaedic Surgeon will be present in case of ahem any slight mishap and of course my personal film crew to record this historic event for future generations.Life will never be the same again.It might even spawn a new movement-Skiwism

tryhard
222 posts
24 Dec 2014 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

This is the last post I'll be doing for a week or so.The build is nearly done.I still have to finish the seat.Happy Christmas

tryhard
222 posts
24 Dec 2014 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

It also has new legs.Pink ones

Hiko
1229 posts
24 Dec 2014 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Split hose or timber strip will be fine At times you will be wanting to grab that windward axle so something to soften the edge on your arm
will be a good thing to have

tryhard
222 posts
1 Jan 2015 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

What better way to start the new year than finishing off my build.Tomorrow I will buy some dinghy braid.I calculate I will need about 6 meters.Then I can go for a blat.

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Here are some close up photos following the last jobs today.This one shows tapered stringer which sits underneath the seat support tube to give it about 25 mm rise above the deck at the back

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

The mast was too low in the sleeve so I made this small block so the mast could be elevated a tad.This was necessary so the rake adjusting bolt engaged at the bottom of the mast.The plastic bit is from a downpipe.The protects the leading face of the mast where the bolt connects with it.I nailed a staple to the small block so i can easily hook it it if i need to

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Here is the finished seat.Now that everything is bolted down and together the set up is quite stable.It will be interesting to see how it performs under load

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

I replaced the drilled out rivets with ones with a bigger head.This was to cover the messy holes I made

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

I bought some 10 mm braid and a double action swivel attached to the saddle.

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

The edge protector is some garden irrigation tube which was easy to cut down the middle.I have glued this in place

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

And finally I made a fat O ring out of a short section of bicycle inner tube which I rolled.This should stop gunk from going up the main spine tube

Clemco
430 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tryhard said..
The mast was too low in the sleeve so I made this small block so the mast could be elevated a tad.This was necessary so the rake adjusting bolt engaged at the bottom of the mast.The plastic bit is from a downpipe.The protects the leading face of the mast where the bolt connects with it.I nailed a staple to the small block so i can easily hook it it if i need to

I don't think the bit of plastic tube down there is going to give any protection for the mast. The bolt will cut through that in minutes. Suggest a bit of stainless steel tube cut similar to that. Good thought though. Also have you strengthened the base of your mast with an insert of hardwood or ally tube?

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

And here is the finished article.Now my question:the sail is fully battened and even with a lot of pull on the mainsheet there is a baggy bit along the mast.Do I need to recut this sail to reduce or eliminate the curve? I tried taking the battens out which helped a little but what is lacking is the smooth foil from mast to sail.

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Clem.Yes the mast has a inner section of alloy about 8mm thickness which runs up 100mm from the bottom.Will this suffice ?

Clemco
430 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tryhard said..
Thanks Clem.Yes the mast has a inner section of alloy about 8mm thickness which runs up 100mm from the bottom.Will this suffice ?

No no no, Not 100mm... Make that 1000mm, Or even 1200.

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

My mast is alloy.Does your advice still apply? If so does the inner section need to be a tight fit?

Hiko
1229 posts
2 Jan 2015 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

As Clem said you need a stiffener 1200mm or so in the bottom of the mast
this can be another tube like a section of mast or timber planed to a taper to fit the mast
Cut a cross in the top 75 mm to eliminate the hard edge and lessen the stress there
If the tube you have is a loose fit it can be put in with silicon sealer or similar to take up
the slop All the load of the sail is taken on the lower part of the mast and not spread out like it is on a windsurfer

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

I have decided to recycle my boom for the stiffener.Do I cut a cross in the top of this too?

Hiko
1229 posts
2 Jan 2015 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Your fibreglass boom should be fine as is If you were using a really stiff pipe or some such the cross cut idea just
takes away the stiff to flexible hard spot. You will need a stiff boom with your centre sheeting (ask me how I know!)
You could test your boom with those pulley blocks you have fixed up in the centre of whatever boom you intend to use
The loads are quite high on the boom as you can guess from the number of pulleys
When the sail is loaded up and the mast is bent back you may well find the shape of the sail looks a lot better than it does when unloaded just sitting there
That knobbly front tyre is going to chuck some sand in your face! You may want to think of a mudflap or something
Goggles too

tryhard
222 posts
2 Jan 2015 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

My boom is alloy not fibreglass.I bought a thicker wall version which I will use instead of the one shown in the pics
Do I cut a cross in the top 75 mm of the stiffener section?

Hiko
1229 posts
2 Jan 2015 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

It will be easier on your mast and wont hurt at all perhaps 50 mm will be enough and if you make the cuts wider at the end then the tube will give a little
and avoid the hard spot say 3mm or so at the end of the tube and a hacksaw width at the end of the cuts Its not an exact science Do what you think will do the job
If your aluminium mast is a windsurfer one it will be thin and wont take kindly to hard spots
I have one of those with a fibreglass insert section at the base and a short piece of timber inside that right at the bottom
where the mast step is It has been good for many outings so far

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Skiwi build" started by tryhard