Forums > Land Yacht Sailing General

Landsailing in Italy 2011

Created by veladaterra > 9 months ago, 15 May 2011
veladaterra
84 posts
15 May 2011 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there!

Here a video about the first part of the landsailing season in Italy. We had two great meetings with winds for every taste, from a light breeze on an airfield to 30 kn and -3 degrees (celsius) on a highland at 1100 meters above sea level.

and...

veladaterra
84 posts
15 May 2011 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

...and from the 9th to the 11th of September not far from Cagliari will be held the third edition of Bentu de Sardinia. This is the most important event in Italy for powerkite riders and landsailors. In 2010 we had the first Italian landyachts' regatta with 12 boats on the starting line. This year the organizer (Power Kite Sardegna, http://www.powerkitesardegna.com/home.htm) will be joined by some guys from the Italian Sailing Federation in order to apply FISLY rules.

I hope some of you will join us!

What more?
The place is pretty similar to Ivanpah! Hard and fast! Just after driving for 15 min you can have a bath on the most wonderful beaches of Sardinia! Italian wine! Italian food!

This is what I mean, the last edition

vimeo.com/channels/71677#15288613

Cheers - Enrico

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
15 May 2011 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like you had a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing Enrico.

veladaterra
84 posts
17 May 2011 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

Looks like you had a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing Enrico.

Yes, a ton of fun But it took time. I started to have fun in Italy only when I changed my point of view and I got aware grass sailing was great, more challenging than a beach or a desert. Before (and before discovering this hard spot in Sardinia) was only wasting time on narrow beaches unsuitable for landsailing. If I want to sail on a beach France or Belgium are not so far from here.

Cheers - Enrico

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
17 May 2011 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I took notice of the surface you were sailing on and was thinking you must have had plenty of wind to be sailing on it.

My nearest and most regular sailing area is a grassed football field. It is dead level and is mowed regularly.

The Seagull MCs and Ludics seem to sail well on irregular surfaces. I noticed when you got off the grass and onto the dirt track you picked up speed immediately.

Cheers Cisco

veladaterra
84 posts
17 May 2011 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

Yes I took notice of the surface you were sailing on and was thinking you must have had plenty of wind to be sailing on it.

My nearest and most regular sailing area is a grassed football field. It is dead level and is mowed regularly.

The Seagull MCs and Ludics seem to sail well on irregular surfaces. I noticed when you got off the grass and onto the dirt track you picked up speed immediately.

Cheers Cisco

Yes, for sailing on that mountain or in the spot in Rome and keeping the pace you need a lot of wind and must be very careful to deal with gusts. You must be always overpowered because if you reduce your sail you won't be able to climb upon the hill. This is in general, the session in the video where you can notice I reduced the sail was started with 30 kn, pretty much...

Seagull are the best here for the flexible axle, solid chassis and mast. I believe the new Seagull, the Silence (it's a mini - www.char-a-voile.com/silence.html - will be even better). I noticed sailing on rough ground is not good for blokart/x-sail (and unfortunately for potty!, I love it!), too stiff, little wheels and a very flexible mast that doesn't allow you taking advantage of all the wind. A little better than blokart is the German Libre production with their tissue seats (like a Class 8), but not so cheap (I guess Libre landyachts are pretty exotic out of Europe).

Cheers - Enrico

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
18 May 2011 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

The Silence is interesting. Looks like it has a wider track and has gone to blokart type axles.

veladaterra
84 posts
18 May 2011 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

The Silence is interesting. Looks like it has a wider track and has gone to blokart type axles.

The Silence has the typical Seagull fibreglass axle in 2 pieces, covered in black rubber to protect it. With 17" wheels is amazing!

hills
SA, 1622 posts
23 Aug 2011 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

unlocked

veladaterra
84 posts
23 Aug 2011 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot, hills

So, the greatest landsailing event in Italy is getting very closer. The meeting will be held from the 9th to the 11th of September. There's no need to say that aside from the amazing spot - really fast and hard surface and regular wind - in 15 minute you can find yourself swimming in some of the most beatiful beaches of the Mediterranean Sea.

This is the promo for the event, open to everything have wheels and is wind powered.

As regards landyachts, races will be held for the Miniyacht Class (FISLY rules) and for an Open Class. Unfortunately we've lost the committee from Italian Sailing Federation, the guys are involved in a boat regatta in the same days.

There're some yachts available (one is a Seagull Ludic) for pilots coming from abroad, seabreeze users very welcome

More on http://www.powerkitesardegna.com/home.htm and ruotenelvento.wordpress.com/

Cheers - Enrico

colk2004
317 posts
24 Aug 2011 2:14AM
Thumbs Up

Poop! EMI have blocked the "Landsailing in Italy 2011" on the grounds of copyright. Sure it's good though.

I'm borrowing the York clubs Seagull MC2 with the fibreglass axle and it's really comfy. Stays on 3 wheels a lot more than the Blokarts due to flexing rather than lifting, and rides out the runway potholes easily as well, so gives you confidence to push on. Think I'm in for a shock when I hand it back.

Cheers Col

(Already planning the next build and been searching for the fibreglass for a GRPLLF)

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
24 Aug 2011 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic Enrico. Wish I could be there. Good to see many classes of yacht and other wind and wheels all coming together for an event.

More power to you.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
27 Aug 2011 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

have a great time enrico, take lots of photos, and dont be shy to PM for any secret measurements you need

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
28 Aug 2011 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

EMI Blocked the video footage. I got a little miffed and clicked the button several times in rapid succession and Managed to override the blockagem Don't ask me why though it just did.. The first playing had a dark mask over it then the rest played normally
Ron

veladaterra
84 posts
31 Aug 2011 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

I've tried to change soundtrack. Seems like I didn't succeed. However the note the video could not be seen in certain Countries has disappeared. Can you see it from there now?

Don't worry, I'll take a lot of pics and videos

And all of you can be very proud of Bentu de Sardinia because this event follows the SEABREEZE SPIRIT: there will be more homebuilt than commercial yachts

veladaterra
84 posts
1 Sep 2011 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

This is what I mean... this is only a small part of the homebuilt yachts that will race in Bentu de Sardinia

Ciao - Enrico

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
1 Sep 2011 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Wow , enrico , you just added a great pile of smiles to my day

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
2 Sep 2011 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

Enrico, they are some really cool looking crates. I love the minimalist designs. VERY Italian!!

veladaterra
84 posts
16 Sep 2011 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Even better than 2010! Three days of wind and fun, the surface almost at its best.

Landyachts were 12, the same number of last year, but things got more serious. Two classes, Open (8) and Miniyacht FISLY (4). Race director wandering around the camp with the 5,60 m rope in his hand, regular sail numbers, briefing, starting procedures, everything looked real as a World Championship. The boys of Power Kite Sardegna have worked really hard to set up this successful event.

The OPEN Class was ruled by homebuilt machinery, I guess that seabreeze is in some way to blame for this

This is the start of the MINIYACHT Class, won by the Seagull Ludic

More pics (don't need to be signed up) on www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150295682086857.332555.550006856&l=c917a0b09d&type=1
and www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150295696676857.332557.550006856&l=d1224bb93e&type=1

Cheers - Enrico

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
16 Sep 2011 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Great Stuff Enrico, Well I guess someone has to take the blame for your Mini woes. I like your Gravel Patch. What and where is it.
Ron

veladaterra
84 posts
30 Sep 2011 2:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ron, do you mean the GREAT gravel patch?

That is in Sardinia, Cagliari, 39° 14' 39. 12" N - 9° 01' 13. 22" E

This is a short video of the event. Sorry, only Minis, in the Open Class I was trying not to be overwhelmed by huge home built yachts... I fail

Ciao - Enrico

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
30 Sep 2011 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

excellent video, from what i saw a blokart could pace a kite buggy,just, and a ludic could outpoint a blowie off a startline ,
all great info
i need to stop analysing
and just go sailing

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
1 Oct 2011 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Great Footage Enrico,
The Kites are certainly pretty en-mass but HOW THE F do they not get tangled up?? Switching all over the sky like that. And Oh what I wouldn't give to have a Paddock like that to sail locally as It Is I have to Steal my rides on the Strip these days------------That is if the wind happens on a Saturday or Sunday[}:)].

Ron

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
1 Oct 2011 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic footage!!!!!

It's great to see all the different craft at the same venue.

Love the skills of the bloke on the kite bike at 1.12min. That would take some balls.

Thanks for sharing.

veladaterra
84 posts
10 Oct 2011 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ron, for the powerkites everything is pretty easy with enough wind, troubles come out when they start to collapse at every turning mark.

Chook, the guy on the kite-bike is Alberto (aka bicikite), his riding always looks very natural, he's got real style!

So glad you enjoyed the video

Ciao - Enrico

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
11 Oct 2011 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Enrico.....thats got the blood flowing............

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
11 Oct 2011 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

I had a look on goggle earth , enrico 39 14 39N , 9 01 13E it seems an ideal

patch, you should upload some stills there as illistrations on the activity.

Thanks again Enrico, thanks for sharing

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
11 Oct 2011 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Gee that's a machine veladaterra.
I can't imagine how difficult it would be to pilot. Thanks for the photo. That's one huge rear mudgard.

A great variety of craft and a very nice venue, which was great to view.

Many thanks, Chook

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
2 Aug 2012 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

unlocked

veladaterra
84 posts
2 Aug 2012 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you lachlan

All you pilots are invited to Bentu de Sardinia 2012, a sort of Italian Championship open to every landsailing and powerkite enthusiast. The event will be held from the 7th to the 9th of September not far from Cagliari, in Sardinia (the island south of Corsica). The place (39?14'44.37"N 9? 0'42.19"E) is very hard and fast, pretty similar to the playa at Ivanpah. This is what I mean

Races are open to Class 8 and to landyachts with 3 Classes: FISLY MINIYACHT 5.60 (I guess you know the rules), PROMO 8.50 (same rules of Minis - no wing mast, max wheels 400x8 - but in a 8.50 m rope so a Promo can fit in) and OPEN (or unlimited, sail everything you want outside Minis and Promos 8.50).

Wonderful beaches at 15 minutes driving, great food and wine with a huge saturday night dinner. For staying are available accomodations in camping, B&B or hotel. For any further information follow ruotenelvento.wordpress.com/ or contact GASSA gassa(at)tiscali.it and JEAN traktionkite(at)email.it.

See you there

Enrico

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing General

"Landsailing in Italy 2011" started by veladaterra