Forums > Sailing General

2016 Sydney to Hobart

Created by rumblefish > 9 months ago, 19 Dec 2016
rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
19 Dec 2016 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

So I thought we should have a thread on this!!

Who's your pick?
Line Honours? IRC?

Know people on boats?

Do you care?

zilla
143 posts
19 Dec 2016 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Since the media ONLY ever shows the largest boats, with a total focus on who is WINNING by being the fastest (and nothing relating to simply participating) I don't care.
If any media exposure was given to related topics such as the smallest boat, the oldest boat, the boat with an interesting crew mix, different rigs, etc then I'd be keen to watch it. I don't ever see that happening. The mindless masses in this country are more interested in the biggest/fastest and that is what the mindless media promote.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
19 Dec 2016 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

I care... I was supposed to be going as crew on a boat this year, but there was a tragedy that prevented it. I was soooo excited at the start of the year about it, then so disappointed.

Who knows.. maybe I'll get a chance one day.

Gravy7
NSW, 242 posts
19 Dec 2016 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Beau Geste was impressive in the Solas Big Boat Challenge last week once she was clear of the start line shemozzle.

Not sure how she rates on IRC though.

boty
QLD, 685 posts
19 Dec 2016 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

lost interest in Hobart race once they bought in the professionally crewed motor sailors even ior was better than that

faraway20001
VIC, 3 posts
19 Dec 2016 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

a one horse boat?, who's riding the horse?

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
19 Dec 2016 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

CQS.

Jethrow
NSW, 1240 posts
19 Dec 2016 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

CQS will be the first one finished, unfortunately it'll be finished by Botany bay or maybe a bit further south, probably not Eden...

lydia
1796 posts
19 Dec 2016 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gravy7 said..
Beau Geste was impressive in the Solas Big Boat Challenge last week once she was clear of the start line shemozzle.

Not sure how she rates on IRC though.

Anyone see the irony here in this bottom picture.
Front approaching Cape leewin early on the 24th.
Blocking highs not far enough south yet.
See who has a sense of history.

WA125er
98 posts
19 Dec 2016 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Comanche not being there is a massive hole in the fleet.
Hope to see Black Jack right up there.
CQS im not sold on....looks a bit "gimmicky"

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
19 Dec 2016 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

I'm staying local, and cheering for BlackJack.
But I have a soft spot for the RP66 Alive too, that is just simply a lovely boat.

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
19 Dec 2016 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Couldn't care less but will be keeping an eye on any S&S34s in it. Azzuro is going. Every time they are in the news there is more buying interest.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
19 Dec 2016 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

I,m hoping Blackjack goes well !

Looks like the fleet may get a good run down the coast as well ...

lydia
1796 posts
19 Dec 2016 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
Couldn't care less but will be keeping an eye on any S&S34s in it. Azzuro is going. Every time they are in the news there is more buying interest.

It is hardly an S&S 34, really.
You ever seen it.

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
19 Dec 2016 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..

MorningBird said..

It is hardly an S&S 34, really.
You ever seen it.

Yeah, met Shane Kearns in November at Woolwich.
It is a standard MkII S&S34 hull built by SWarbricks out of the same mold as my boat, it just has a different deck.
Quite a few S&S34s have non Swarbrick decks, I nearly bought Ricochet II years ago and it had a flush teak deck. A couple I have seen on Yachthub etc over the years have non Swarbrick decks.
Azzuro is spartan inside but then so are most racing boats. I sailed Huckelberry a couple of times, she did very well in the 2007 S2H, and she was a bare boat to save weight. Even the original Morning Cloud, Edward Heath's winner of the 1969 S2H, was lightened somewhat from the later boats. She also had the taller double spreader mast which became a mod a few years later.
Azzuro is an S&S34.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Dec 2016 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

I am going to be in Sydney for the start and not sure whether to watch the start live or on the telly

Any thoughts on a good spot to watch from would be appreciated

Regards Don

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
20 Dec 2016 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

I'm (as always) interested in the Tassie boats plus after living in WA know some guys on boats from there.

Just a thought, would people be interested in a little competition?

Guess the line honours winner, IRC winner and the time for the line honours winner?

Brierley Marine might even throw a few goodies at the winner?

Will start another thread for it if I get some interest....

dralyagmas
SA, 380 posts
20 Dec 2016 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

I am on Two True. 5 x B40's which will be a good race

PhilY
NSW, 149 posts
20 Dec 2016 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

First out the heads - Loyal, just from WO1X
Line - WO1X

Handicap - Downhill
WO1X
Ichi60
Any of the leading TPs/Cookson50s - Balance, Ichi 52 etc

Handicap - Blow
WO1X
Any of the TPs/Cookson50s
Beneslow40, there's a good bunch of them
Love and War

Little boats
Local Hero
Azzuro
Maluka

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
20 Dec 2016 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
I am going to be in Sydney for the start and not sure whether to watch the start live or on the telly

Any thoughts on a good spot to watch from would be appreciated

Regards Don

Donk, have you listened to or watched Nic? Whether via audio or video she is good value for the yachtie.
If you have an internet connection that is.

www.nicdouglass.org/join/

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
20 Dec 2016 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder how far out they will be around Jervis Bay. Might consider going out to have a look.

All@Sea
TAS, 232 posts
20 Dec 2016 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Dunno if you'd call it irony, but some connection to the '93 LH winner? ... I was 11 at the time, but remember it well.

... that was meant to be a response to Lydia's riddle, not sure if the page makes the link.

Gravy7
NSW, 242 posts
20 Dec 2016 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

No, I think the irony is the racing number of 1997 for a Hong Kong registered boat.

1997 marked the transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong from the United Kingdom to the People's Republic of China.

A red letter year.

Gravy7
NSW, 242 posts
20 Dec 2016 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

And with that, my 100th post, Merry Christmas to SeaBreezers everywhere!

lydia
1796 posts
20 Dec 2016 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

We have a winner.
Well done.
The front approaching the west needed to be quicker for a repeat of 1993.
Bg would be about the right size to get line honours in the event of big boat carnage.

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1239 posts
20 Dec 2016 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Donk,
The best place to watch the start is on Neilson Point which is on the starting line. Before that around 10am go down to the CYC and look at all the boats as they leave the dock. Give yourself ninety minutes to get to Neilson Point.
I will be cruising up from Bundeena to around Coogee when I plan to meet and greet the leaders.
I have a very competitive crew.
Di is preparing the main, Glenn the cake queen is in control of dessert. Ken will be handling the cheese tray and bickies
Gas has open reign to deliver something very special.
We have had a few practice runs and will prepare well with the champs and beer well chilled.
We must still rely on the weather gods to give us the perfect day.
Anyone else leaving around 10am?

All@Sea
TAS, 232 posts
21 Dec 2016 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Isn't Two True a past winner? I seem to remember having drinks aboard chatting to a rocket scientist post race.

PhilY
NSW, 149 posts
21 Dec 2016 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
All@Sea said..
Isn't Two True a past winner? I seem to remember having drinks aboard chatting to a rocket scientist post race.

Correct

dralyagmas
SA, 380 posts
21 Dec 2016 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Yes they won in 2009.

Only 3 of the same crew from that year including the owner. No rocket scientists though.

Apparently Sportsbet has us at $26 which is a lot shorter than I would have thought....

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
23 Dec 2016 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Looking at the forecasts we are just going to see a downwind slide. Where is the dreaded southerly buster!

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
23 Dec 2016 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said...
Looking at the forecasts we are just going to see a downwind slide. Where is the dreaded southerly buster!

The S&S boats need a southerly to be competitive.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"2016 Sydney to Hobart" started by rumblefish