Forums > Sailing General

Coffee without 240v

Created by w8ingforwind > 9 months ago, 18 Apr 2017
w8ingforwind
QLD, 259 posts
18 Apr 2017 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering what the best way to make a nice coffee (not instant) with 12v or a metho stove ect. suggests please.

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
18 Apr 2017 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

moka pot, about 20 bucks for the 2 cup version, I think you can buy up to 6 cup versions, google it and it's easy.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
18 Apr 2017 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Makita have an 18 volt coffee machine skin sydneytools.com.au/makita-dcm500z-18v-li-ion-mobile-lxt-coffee-maker-skin-only?gclid=CLnaqpeGrdMCFYImhgod5-8O-Q

cant wait hit to try it out

Sectorsteve
QLD, 2195 posts
18 Apr 2017 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Capt_Newmo said..
moka pot, about 20 bucks for the 2 cup version, I think you can buy up to 6 cup versions, google it and it's easy.

Should avoid these alloy types. They corrode and are carcenegenic as hell. The stainless ones are double the price
6 cup $48.

QLDCruiser
QLD, 160 posts
18 Apr 2017 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Another seabreezer posted a link about these some time ago:

alternativebrewing.com.au/product/rok-espresso-maker/?gclid=CKX3h522rdMCFZcSvQodJD4CrQ

A bit exxy, but sure looks the goods for a genuine espresso.

EC31
NSW, 490 posts
18 Apr 2017 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
QLDCruiser said..

alternativebrewing.com.au/product/rok-espresso-maker/?gclid=CKX3h522rdMCFZcSvQodJD4CrQ

Wish I had that much space. I will have to settle for the coffee bags.......

w8ingforwind
QLD, 259 posts
18 Apr 2017 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EC31 said..

QLDCruiser said..

Wish I had that much space. I will have to settle for the coffee bags.......

Gold

slammin
QLD, 994 posts
18 Apr 2017 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sectorsteve said..

Capt_Newmo said..

Should avoid these alloy types. They corrode and are carcenegenic as hell. The stainless ones are double the price
6 cup $48.

I agree but that one pictured the handle breaks off. I've got 2 from warranty. Now I just use a tea towel.

Either way moka pot is great.

NAJ
QLD, 6 posts
18 Apr 2017 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

The Aeropress is a fast way of making great coffee without 240v. Also does not take up much room.

www.aeropress.com.au

Nick

Sectorsteve
QLD, 2195 posts
18 Apr 2017 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NAJ said..
The Aeropress is a fast way of making great coffee without 240v. Also does not take up much room.

www.aeropress.com.au

Nick

I see coffee EVERYWHERE

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
18 Apr 2017 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

I don't drink it but my grandma used to make it the Turkish way. (google it!) Any pot will do on gas or any stove.

mike_e
NSW, 71 posts
19 Apr 2017 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

I've got one of these. Makes ok coffee.
a bellman.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Apr 2017 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

sort of a pressure cooker effect much like a car radiator

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Apr 2017 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Sectorsteve
QLD, 2195 posts
19 Apr 2017 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
I don't drink it but my grandma used to make it the Turkish way. (google it!) Any pot will do on gas or any stove.

I worked on an old Greek sailboat on Kos and that's what we drank. Loved it. No straining or plunging.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
19 Apr 2017 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

If l decide to return to coffee drinking it'll be Turkish coffee or instant.
K.I.S.S.

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
19 Apr 2017 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Start with good coffee, then boil the billy on your metho stove, then go with the plunger option. I have a nice perspex plunger on board.

Windjana
WA, 396 posts
19 Apr 2017 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

I like a coffee in the morning, but for me, it doesn't have to be anything fancy.
I like to chuck in a good teaspoon full of Moccona granulated coffee and a bit of sugar in a mug and heat up a mugful measure of milk in a saucepan. Get the milk just off boil and tip it in the mug giving it a good stir.
Noice.

Sectorsteve
QLD, 2195 posts
19 Apr 2017 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Guitz said..
Start with good coffee, then boil the billy on your metho stove, then go with the plunger option. I have a nice perspex plunger on board.

didnt know you could get perspex plungers. ive broken every glass one...

Easyseabreeze
QLD, 1 posts
25 Apr 2017 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

A classic challenge, more so now that we are all becoming coffee snobs. I started with what I call the "Frasercino" which is instant in a plunger. The recipe goes like this - take a small single person plunger, add double your normal amount of instant coffee to the plunger, add half a mug worth of hot water and dissolve, then half a mug worth of milk. Gently push the plunger to the bottom of the beaker and withdraw quickly. keep doing this until the milk thickens and starts to become aerated. Pour and sprinkle with chocolate.

After the "Frasercino" I graduated to a hybrid "Frasercino" using proper coffee from an aluminium stove top and using the plunger to do the milk only.

For the past 4 years I have used an "Otto" machine which I think is now called "the little guy". I have literally made 1000's of coffees with this bit of gear and it is amazing. Lots of beautiful rich crema and it has a steam wand to do milk.
Pros - no electricity needed, stainless steel, cafe quality cup of coffee, has steam wand, it's portable, doesn't break down, looks really cool and was developed by an Aussie guy.
Cons - limited to 2 cups per brew, a bit heavy, expensive.

I use this machine every day at home on a induction plate, and on a gas stove when camping or on the boat.

Google the "Little Guy" coffee machine. www.thelittleguy.info
It looks like the world has caught on. They are out of stock until September.

I am going to have a coffee...

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
25 Apr 2017 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

That looks like a great bit of coffee making kit!

Agent nods
622 posts
25 Apr 2017 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

That's just a stainless copy of the original Atomic coffee maker.

You can get insulated stainless steel french press plungers, they work well and are mostly indestructible

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
25 Apr 2017 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

You are escalating the coffee problem to unseen proportions.
Y spend a fortune on different contraptions? K.I.S.S.

"Turkish coffee" Google it!

Bristolfashion
VIC, 490 posts
25 Apr 2017 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Watch some cowboy movies. Coffee and cold water in pot, billy or saucepan. Heat to just not boiling. Tap to settle the grounds and serve. It's what we do hiking and works a treat.

You can simply pour over just off boiling water instead - saves trying to catch the magic moment.

The key is a good slug of good ground coffee.

Cheers

Bristle

Charriot
QLD, 880 posts
25 Apr 2017 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

I got a few month ago for my birthday THis .
Hilton hotel wouldn't make better.
Seriously good.

Charriot
QLD, 880 posts
25 Apr 2017 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

just add to my previous , because I am bit lazy 90% I am using vacuum / double wall /
for a few bugs from eBay.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
25 Apr 2017 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

The only reason I start my Honda 2kva most of the time is to run my coffee machine when off shore power problem is this new model takes up to much gally room!. I have plunger and instant but prefer pod machines! like the idea of the mini espresso charriot got a link what's the catch?

southace
SA, 4776 posts
25 Apr 2017 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

It's ok got a link and watched a vid ...so how does it heat the water?

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
25 Apr 2017 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

I just use one of these campfire coffee percolators

Me and the missus both drink black coffee & no sugar so making coffee is easy.

w8ingforwind
QLD, 259 posts
26 Apr 2017 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
You are escalating the coffee problem to unseen proportions.
Y spend a fortune on different contraptions? K.I.S.S.

"Turkish coffee" Google it!

I love all all the suggestions so far. I can not stand instant coffee. I drink my coffee black and vary strong.

I have bought myself an ex race boat 28 ft long, nothing inside but a metho stove and the battery that runs the lights radio and depthsounder. The battery is smaller then some motorbike battery's, and that's fine I'm only going away for weekend.

i looked at a 12v fridge the one I wanted was $900. I asked the salesman how long a large 12v battery ($280) and small solar panel ($120) would power it for he said 3or 4days.

I can get a lot of ice for $900

i realy like the idea of the little guy and the look and would like to see it make a coffee, but at $600 dose it bring it to your bedside on a cold winter morning?
ill give the Turkish coffee a go and get back to you.

fishmonkey
NSW, 494 posts
26 Apr 2017 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Turkish coffee is a good idea, if you do it right. there are lots of good guides on the interwebs. if you are a coffee 'snob' (like i am), then filter/plunger/percolator/pod coffee is horrible stuff!

another advantage of Turkish coffee is that you can use the grounds to predict the future...

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Coffee without 240v" started by w8ingforwind