Forums > Sailing General

Furlex 100S Broken Tack Ring

Created by troubadour > 9 months ago, 14 Mar 2019
troubadour
NSW, 327 posts
14 Mar 2019 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

The tack ring attachment eye broke off the other day. Have been told I can drill 2 x 5mm holes in the tack ring and thread spectra through to make a loop to attach tack snap shackle. Anyone had this problem?

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
14 Mar 2019 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

I take it it's the version with a cast alloy tack attachment?
I'd drill the hole as low as possible, make the edges of the hole very rounded and then make a soft shackle to the desired length.
On our furlers we make a 250mm (closed loop size) x 3mm soft shackle that you loop through 2-4 times depending on the height of the tack you want

troubadour
NSW, 327 posts
14 Mar 2019 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks rumblefish.
I might take a couple of photos before I plunge in. I imagine the cone shaped tack ring has space behind to drill the holes or do I have to disassemble the furler?

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
14 Mar 2019 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Troubadour

Here is a parts list for it if you are interested in replacing it and haven't already seen it www.seldenmast.com/files/595-103-E.pdf

Regards Don

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
14 Mar 2019 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
troubadour said..
Thanks rumblefish.
I might take a couple of photos before I plunge in. I imagine the cone shaped tack ring has space behind to drill the holes or do I have to disassemble the furler?

Post a pic and we can go from there :)

troubadour
NSW, 327 posts
15 Mar 2019 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Don
Apparently Seldon/Furlex no longer supply parts for this model

troubadour
NSW, 327 posts
29 Mar 2019 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

Here we go some pics of the furlex. When I put my glasses on I can see old epoxy where it has been repaired previously. No surprise it broke!!!
Had a go at raising the tack ring but couldn't see any obvious way to do it.
Sorry I need the rotate photos lesson

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
29 Mar 2019 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like there is some meat in that cast alloy bit. If you still have the broken bit I would drill it out to take a couple of 1/4 inch screw head bolts and tap threads into the cast bit. Epoxy glue in as well. If the broken bit is lost then think about a plastic dead eye rope guide bolted down into tapped threads.

troubadour
NSW, 327 posts
29 Mar 2019 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ramona
Thanks for the tip. Problem is the part is plastic not cast alloy. I could give it a go if the plastic has a bit of meat. Might drill a hole to check the thickness. Nothing to lose

Concepcion
SA, 93 posts
29 Mar 2019 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Troubadour - we had a very similar problem & over the past few years I was constantly maintaining foils and furler which always failed at the worst times. Decided to replace and after researching options we upgraded to reefit.
Was a useful learning for me, as I always seem to chase the fix option over the replace, but cost wise if I dared include my labor time in any of my calculations I would do different.

So, if you do choose replace here, check out Reefit (no conflict of interest here) - system is all Alloy and very well designed/ manufactured - whatdoyareakon Rumblefish?

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
29 Mar 2019 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Concepcion said..
Hey Troubadour - we had a very similar problem & over the past few years I was constantly maintaining foils and furler which always failed at the worst times. Decided to replace and after researching options we upgraded to reefit.
Was a useful learning for me, as I always seem to chase the fix option over the replace, but cost wise if I dared include my labor time in any of my calculations I would do different.

So, if you do choose replace here, check out Reefit (no conflict of interest here) - system is all Alloy and very well designed/ manufactured - whatdoyareakon Rumblefish?

Love it!!

On the Furlex issue...I would grind flat then find an alloy fair lead that's base is close to the size of the area left on the old tack attachment.
I would then drill and tap plus epoxy. Maybe even attach another fair lead of 2 around the tack ring and lash around and through these with dyneema.

By the way, zero cast alloy on the Reefit :))

troubadour
NSW, 327 posts
29 Mar 2019 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, great advice. Might try the drill and tap while I save up for a new Reefit furler.

Cheers
dave

troubadour
NSW, 327 posts
8 May 2019 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got around to having a go at a fix on the furler. Should be at least as strong as the moulded saddle.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Furlex 100S Broken Tack Ring" started by troubadour