Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ironbark said..
Perth Dinghy Club - Nedlands....

More photos on my Facebook Group - "Ironbark Photos" - here:-

www.facebook.com/groups/1957909027766518/

cheers

ironbark

My first yacht was a Spencer Javelin in 1976. Looks like they have had some serious upgrades over the years!!

boty
QLD, 685 posts
29 Nov 2017 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

looks like fun place to sail flat water and lots of breeze

josusa
WA, 110 posts
29 Nov 2017 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

My first boat was a Cherub in 1970, a modified mark 8 with graphite painted bottom, silver ash foredeck and burgundy top sides. Loved that boat. The weak point was a floor bouyancy tank that meant the centre board went through it so it was always a potential leak source. I sailed it from Freshy Bay Yacht Club. Half owned it with a school friend. We used to sail it right through the winter in all weather. Mast came down on us in a storm in Melville water and we washed ashore in Attadale. My brother picked us up in his holden ute and I lay in the back underneath the upside down cherub holding it on. Found out the wind got up to 50 knots. A year later we sailed it to Rottnest. We thought we were bullet proof then. Looking back we were bloody lucky to say the least. More bravado than brains.
Boty, the waves in Melville Water where those dinghys are sailing can get pretty big depending on the wind direction. I have been sailing a hobie sixteen there and been unable to keep my footing on the trapeze because the waves kept knocking my feet out from underneath me.
Fabulous place to sail most of the time.
Really nice pics Ironbark, thanks for the post.

ironbark
433 posts
29 Nov 2017 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
josusa said..
My first boat was a Cherub in 1970, a modified mark 8 with graphite painted bottom, silver ash foredeck and burgundy top sides. Loved that boat. The weak point was a floor bouyancy tank that meant the centre board went through it so it was always a potential leak source. I sailed it from Freshy Bay Yacht Club. Half owned it with a school friend. We used to sail it right through the winter in all weather. Mast came down on us in a storm in Melville water and we washed ashore in Attadale. My brother picked us up in his holden ute and I lay in the back underneath the upside down cherub holding it on. Found out the wind got up to 50 knots. A year later we sailed it to Rottnest. We thought we were bullet proof then. Looking back we were bloody lucky to say the least. More bravado than brains.
Boty, the waves in Melville Water where those dinghys are sailing can get pretty big depending on the wind direction. I have been sailing a hobie sixteen there and been unable to keep my footing on the trapeze because the waves kept knocking my feet out from underneath me.

There is no doubt that Cherubs are still a cool boat to sail........

Hobie 16's are cool too...imo...

Thanks for your memories josusa ...

cheers

ironbark

boty
QLD, 685 posts
30 Nov 2017 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
josusa said..
Really nice pics Ironbark, thanks for the post.

i started on 12s on the brissie river and those photos took me back as well

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"PHOTOS - Javelins Cherubs and 14 foot skiffs - 25 11 2017" started by ironbark