Forums > Sailing General

Red Witch Build

Created by Stuman92 > 9 months ago, 23 Aug 2015
Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
6 Mar 2016 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome Info Harb, i do like the simpler design but ill keep the existing running track for now.
Great ideas on sealing those holes up, i picked up a 1.5kg epoxy kit the other day. its a nice easy to use kit thats a 5:1 mix with pump bottles.
Great idea Countersinking bolt holes under fitting to help seal them up!

Been Polishing the hull, starting to get a good shine to it :)

Starting to look the part now the tops nice and Bright White. (was rather cream before)
Get to start the refit soon and painting the inside.

Really need to finish the Pin-stripping

Not ruch longer till we have the christening party, will be Greek style :)

Harb
WA, 226 posts
6 Mar 2016 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

its a nice easy to use kit thats a 5:1 mix with pump bottles.

Nice in the beginning, I got sick of pumping after the first 50 Ltrs and started using measuring cups

Looking good Stuman, at this rate you'll have it in by Easter break.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
6 Mar 2016 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Harb...... Hmm not sure about Easter but definitely in April at the latest.

Tomorrows public Holiday should help things along, For now probably going to do a very basic interior (clean and paint) and once im sailing ill have a better idea for what i want.

looking at a few space saving options for storage and things.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
7 Mar 2016 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

looking at a few space saving options for storage and things.

The Reds are daysailers, once you rig up you'll have enough space for an esky & potti under your seats, a plastic box for spare parts & bits and a wet weather gear bag. What else did you need ?
As you said, once you are sailing you'll see what you'll need. Would go and do a circumnavigation of Australia in it but there is enough room for 2 to sail off into the sunset, for a few days at least.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
8 Mar 2016 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah for now i will keep it to a daysailer but i do plan on doing a few solo missions every now and then.
so Main storage requirement would be drinking water and food.

Finished painting the Deck yesterday, few spots i wont to touch up. Once thats done ill leave it for a few days to harden up nicely, whilst i work on those pinstripes and a few things i want to do on the trailer.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
8 Mar 2016 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Yeah for now i will keep it to a daysailer but i do plan on doing a few solo missions every now and then.
so Main storage requirement would be drinking water and food.

Carton of beer and fishing rod ?
For water a few 15ltr bottles of Neverfail from Woolie is the way to go, after you drank the water they become additional flotation devices or fishing floats.

Maxbicyclemax
WA, 38 posts
8 Mar 2016 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Once your boats up and ready, and you've sailed it a bit, you might just decide the "working on it" can just slide for awhile. The interior can slowly fit itself.
Get your outboard sorted. The Autumn calm days are coming, and so are the squid and salmon!!!

Harb
WA, 226 posts
9 Mar 2016 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks , that reminds me I should change the impeller since its 8 yrs old now.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
9 Mar 2016 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah i feel the interior will have a few iterations over the years so for now we shall just clean it and paint it.

also thinking of breaking up the white on the deck with maybe painting the tread ares a light grey.... just a thought.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
14 Mar 2016 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Back to Esperance tomorrow for work, Hopefully start bolting everything back on this weekend if all goes well.

dialdan
QLD, 79 posts
15 Mar 2016 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Yeah i feel the interior will have a few iterations over the years so for now we shall just clean it and paint it.

also thinking of breaking up the white on the deck with maybe painting the tread ares a light grey.... just a thought.

Careful with light grey can be really hot underfoot. I have found cream to be cooler . Paving paint is a cheaper alternative to marine type non skid and can have extra grit added .

Al

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
16 Mar 2016 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/stockton/sail-boats/redwitch-6-1-mtr-sloop-sail-away-no-more-to-pay-port-lincoln/1104923174

I called just to tel him he is dreaming!

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
17 Mar 2016 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

How was that Received Felixdcat?

Back from Esprance and ready for a productive weekend, the missus has even promised to help out.........

Must say the Yacht club in Esprance looks top notch, a good selection of boats down there, if anybody on here knows a member down there id love to get in touch and find out if its ok to use there ramps.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
17 Mar 2016 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Esprance sure has some good views

The Local Yacht Club

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Mar 2016 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

felixdcat said..

HG02 said..
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/stockton/sail-boats/redwitch-6-1-mtr-sloop-sail-away-no-more-to-pay-port-lincoln/1104923174

I called just to tel him he is dreaming!

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
17 Mar 2016 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Mar 2016 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
19 Mar 2016 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Making good progress on the tiller arm. Should finish it tomorrow.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
23 Mar 2016 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Tiller Is practically all done now.

Going to be moving the boat under the Patio area so as to make the most out of the Easter break. seeing as rain is on the forecast.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
29 Mar 2016 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Started Painting the Cabin over the weekend.

Used a Polyurethane to seal and smooth the fiberglass out, with then a filler primer over that and then the final top coat will go on.
I figured its better to clean of the flaky stuff then add a few layers than trying to sand the whole thing smooth and open up the fiberglass to moisture ingress.

The Polyurethane is a Sika product and it seems to be awesome so far.
Will Post pics asap. Hopefully

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
31 Mar 2016 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Well Many Itchy Hours later the Cabin is almost finished Sanding and patching.

Heres where there used to be a big hole the previous Muppet cut into the Buoyancy Tank to fit a speed sensor.

My Paint Testing Spot, the Grey is the Polyurethane and the blue is the Primer Filler over it. The two combined smooths the area out nicely and should seal and protect the fiberglass nicely.

This side had a few dodgy areas mainly from a poor original finish.

The "stripper" Pole needs a clean and polish ;)
The Bilge Area will get a good clean and probably a few layers of the polyurethane to ensure watertight around those bolts.

Was Not Fun Sanding down there.

Once Painted Im thinking i will marine carpet line most of the floor and Berth Areas, especially seeing as i can get the carpet cheap!!!!

once painted ill move onto Electrics and basic fit out.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
2 Apr 2016 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Started Compiling the Navigation System last night, pretty happy with using a Raspberry Pi (RPI) running Open CPN on it.
Using a USB GPS Dongle that Has NAVSTAR and GLONASS so Should receive a good positional Fix

Making the RPI as Weatherproof and easy to navigate as possible will be the key to success

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
2 Apr 2016 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Success
Rpi all setup and working. Just need to get some accurate charts for Perth/wa anyone got some they want to pass on :)

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
2 Apr 2016 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Once Painted Im thinking i will marine carpet line most of the floor and Berth Areas, especially seeing as i can get the carpet cheap!!!!

Doesn't matter if the carpet is free, you will regret putting it one day.

It collects dirt, moisture and promotes mould.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
2 Apr 2016 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said...
Stuman92 said..

Doesn't matter if the carpet is free, you will regret putting it one day.

It collects dirt, moisture and promotes mould.

Was thinking to make it all removable so it can be removed and washed. Suggested alternatives?

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
3 Apr 2016 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

The Full set of WA Charts is available through DOT for $115 which seems pretty good.

Agent nods
622 posts
3 Apr 2016 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

I seen a lot of sportfishing boats with astroturf fitted it the cockpit, it is quite an open weave and fish blood guts etc wash out quite well. It is very forgiving underfoot, and not slippery at all.

There is a range of colours but darker does not stain as much, but gets hot in the sun - but it is designed to be damped down with water.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
3 Apr 2016 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Carpet lined seems pretty popular......
had a look most say mold resistant, i suppose to keep it dry and damp free some good ventilation is in order, maybe an air dryer.

ChopesBro
351 posts
4 Apr 2016 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

I love this thread

Thanks for taking the time to share

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
4 Apr 2016 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Stuman, that carpet fitment has a real craftsman-like look to it. Top job!
Greg

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Red Witch Build" started by Stuman92