25 Apr 2016 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

ooo modularised solar lights.

i like that idea less wiring :)

slammin
QLD, 994 posts
25 Apr 2016 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Solar garden lights I don't think are bright enough for an anchor light. Great in addition though.

These however wrapped around a 1" PVC pipe and run up the mast are extremely bright. We were one of the brightest anchor lights at Fitzroy Is over Easter. Enough light to get around on deck, at 9.5m up. I can lower it and lash it to the front of the mast as a steaming light as well. 1 is plenty and will wrap about 3 times around the tube. I used a length of old high quality speaker wire tied off in the tube, so that if anything gets tangled up it has enough strength to give it a strong yank. I used butyl tape in addition to the double sided tape supplied.

I have a wired mast light and use it but because we drop the mast , the mast plug > deck plug regularly fail even at the highest IP rating with self amalgamating tape. Seems to be 2yr maximum lifespan. I have recently taken to putting the plug assembly through the cabin top and siliconeing around the wire so the plug is out of the weather and when we drop the mast just pulling the "wire and silicon plug" out then reseal it.

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
25 Apr 2016 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

For a trailer sailor and the amount of night sailing you are likely to be doing I think these are the perfect solution.

www.whitworths.com.au/emergency-led-navigation-lights-battery-operated

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
25 Apr 2016 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

They look good Cisco, worth having a set as backups even.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
25 Apr 2016 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good Stuman, do you have enough room for the rego numbers ?

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
26 Apr 2016 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Harb, should do hopefully

Originally they were on the sides above the gunnel. im thinking ill put it back there.
Is that any laws on where it must be and size etc?

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
27 Apr 2016 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Painted Bow to Companionway now. just got the last bit towards the stern now. once finished ill start on the carpet lining and flooring.

then on to the bit ive been excited for........... Electrics :)

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
27 Apr 2016 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Stuman92 said..

Originally they were on the sides above the gunnel. im thinking ill put it back there.

Yes there are regulations on placement and size of rego numbers.

www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/marine/MAC-P-RBRegistrationNumbers0610.pdf

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
27 Apr 2016 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

slammin said..
Solar garden lights I don't think are bright enough for an anchor light. Great in addition though.

These however wrapped around a 1" PVC pipe and run up the mast are extremely bright. We were one of the brightest anchor lights at Fitzroy Is over Easter. Enough light to get around on deck, at 9.5m up. I can lower it and lash it to the front of the mast as a steaming light as well. 1 is plenty and will wrap about 3 times around the tube. I used a length of old high quality speaker wire tied off in the tube, so that if anything gets tangled up it has enough strength to give it a strong yank. I used butyl tape in addition to the double sided tape supplied.

I have a wired mast light and use it but because we drop the mast , the mast plug > deck plug regularly fail even at the highest IP rating with self amalgamating tape. Seems to be 2yr maximum lifespan. I have recently taken to putting the plug assembly through the cabin top and siliconeing around the wire so the plug is out of the weather and when we drop the mast just pulling the ”wire and silicon plug" out then reseal it.

Do you seriously use those as as a steaming light? Steaming light is required to be visible over a forward arc of 225 degrees, nothing more, nothing less.

slammin
QLD, 994 posts
28 Apr 2016 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe i didnt word my post properly, but it was related to my previous post.

They're for emergency use.

I have only used them once as steaming lights, they were lashed hard up against the mast so that yes only roughly 225 deg was visible. I was able to estimate the angle using the actual steaming light that is hard wired.

The reason I didn't use the hard wired steaming light was there was a short and the mast and steaming light were coming on at the same time.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
28 Apr 2016 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Yeah, at the rear near the transom roughly where your red stripes are ?

The numbers have to be at least 50mm high and black on white background and no more the 75mm below the gunwale near the transom. Add to that the 7mm of white surround and you need at least 64mm between the stripe and gunwale. If you find that its too tight you can always remove a section of the stripe near the transom so you have something like long Stripe/Numbers/150mm stripe which would probably look better then trying to squeeze them in too close to the gunwale. In that case you could go with 75mm or even 150mm letters.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
28 Apr 2016 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah ill have to insert a gap in the pinstripe for the Rego Number.

was looking at getting stickers from www.boatnames.com.au/
any other recommendations?

Harb
WA, 226 posts
3 May 2016 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

I bought my 75mm from http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181137474162?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and happy with them but can't see it would make much difference where you bought them since in WA they all have to be PLAIN and BLACK. I would have preferred a set of numbers in Gothic blue but not allowed.

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
3 May 2016 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

I transferred interstate rego at Hillarys, they sell the letters/numbers there.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
4 May 2016 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just went to jaycar to get the last cable to get the RPI Open CPN chart plotter up and going,
looks awesome on the screen. i have it running on a 5" TFT screen. so shouldn't draw to much juice.

hopefully get the transducer wired in as well this weekend and talking to the RPI.

The End is almost within sight haha

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
4 May 2016 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Here's the RPI all setup. Just need a proper version of the map conversion software to get rid of the red crosses.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
8 May 2016 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Made Some good progress yesterday.

Finished Painting the Forward Berths

Installed the windows permanently now

Soo White

The Tiller Arm Complete

Can we get what the S stands for?????????

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
8 May 2016 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Good to start bolting stuff back on. Everything has a healthy amount of marine silicon behind it.

Rudder fits and feels great, if anything could do with some bushes to just stiffen it up a tad.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
8 May 2016 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome tiller carving

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
10 May 2016 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Guys

Got one last Berth left to paint. then i can start fitting the new flooring :)

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
10 May 2016 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Thats the whole interior painted now :)

Going to leave it a few days whilst i work on cleaning up the deck hardware, and then ill start bolting everything back on.

:)

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
12 May 2016 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Started building the nav system into a case.
Also repaired the running track cart using spares. So I can mount the track back now.

Hopefully make a start on the carpet this weekend

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
14 May 2016 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Well that's one of the outboard brackets on and also the starboard running track.
Hopefully the weather is conducive to fixing everything back on this weekend.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
14 May 2016 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

That's 2 for 2

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
14 May 2016 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

That's everything back on except the cb Ariel, (still need to buy it)

Keeps raining which is slowing everything down. :(

slammin
QLD, 994 posts
14 May 2016 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at bcf eBay store, they're dumping Harken stock.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
14 May 2016 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Slammin, ill have a look

Ended up having a super productive day, Got the Second window in, also got the second Running track in.

and about 75% of the deck hardware in. only a few things left.

Once hardware is done ill get the Companionway and forward hatch sorted, new hinges and seals etc.

ChopesBro
351 posts
14 May 2016 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said...
Awesome tiller carving

+1

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
16 May 2016 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Had a Pretty productive Sunday, roped my dad into help

Got both winches fitted and all the jib hardware, all that's left is the main sheets running track which im waiting on some specific bolts for (should rock up before Wednesday)

I can make a start on the companionway now, was thinking something down the lines of this.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
17 May 2016 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Good news the bolts for the main sheet running track arrived!!
So that's in now.

Sorry for the bad photo.

So im also installing a marine radio because I have one. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this old 27mhz uniden radio.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Red Witch Build" started by Stuman92