Forums > Sailing General

Red Witch Build

Created by Stuman92 > 9 months ago, 23 Aug 2015
Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
18 May 2016 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Turns out my 12v fridge will fit nicely once the floor is installed and I got some draw runners.

Also did a trial to see how the foam wall padding would work. Should go great with some marine carpet and Velcro.

Also cut one of the companion way doors to see how they look, Also need to figure out how the top hatch will work.

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
19 May 2016 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work Stuman. The Uniden 27 meg should be fine but I think you should consider the current GME VHF radio. I think there will be more people listening on VHF than 27 meg these days.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
19 May 2016 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

chears cisco,

is there an argument for both?

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
19 May 2016 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Yep. If you have both you have the field covered.

jdriver
SA, 9 posts
19 May 2016 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

I'm currently doing a radio operator's course, will do the exam soon ish. I hate to presume a lack of knowledge from anyone, you're rebuilding your own boat and trailer (sweet) after all, but for the benefit of any others who may be lurking this thread as I have been:
The new VHF radios come with digital select calling (DSC) capability. It's main function is a one button mayday transmission on channel 70 automatically monitored by all capable radios. It will transmit GPS data if the radio is connected to or contains a GPS unit. The message shows up as text on the other end with a lovely alert tone that will only shut up by button press (no excuse for ignoring a distress call). Because it's a data packet, it can't get muddled by anyone at the other end and is recommended as the best chance of successfully transmitting a distress message. You have to have an MMSI (like a phone number) assigned to you by acma and programmed into your radio by a dealer to use the DSC function. You can only get that mmsi by showing evidence of proficiency, either the AWQ or a marine radio operator's certificate. Apart from the benefit of DSC, it is still illegal to transmit in the marine vhf spectrum without a certificate of competency.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
19 May 2016 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Jdriver, feel pretty honoured to have your first post.

Great bit of info on VHF, ive used the DSC radios through work before, even ones with the inbuilt GPS, their definitely a great radio with a superb signal quality.

Ive done my VHF competency course and i will admit it was a good course.

cisco
QLD, 12326 posts
20 May 2016 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

VHF radios with DSC are a great idea and should be the standard today. The only problem is that in Queensland at least, none of the Marine Rescue stations have them. Most of them are still using 20 year old radios.

You would think it is a priority for them to be equipped with these radios and for about $300 it is hardly a major expence compared to the boats they regularly replace. Very puzzling.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
20 May 2016 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Good point Cisco.

i might get one once im up and sailing. the 27meg will do for now. :)

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
21 May 2016 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

The companionway cover is coming along nicely, just need to sew in the zips and add the fastening clips.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
23 May 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good just needs the snap buttons

And open

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
24 May 2016 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Great solution for a weather proof hatch Stuman

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
24 May 2016 6:14AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Andy
But i will admit it was the wife's idea to make a fabric one.
my idea was getting a bit complicated and this looks like it should be nice, simple, easily removable and repairable and cost all of about $60 !!!!

ive got some clear plastic i could use as a window if i want, just not sure yet.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
28 May 2016 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Forward hatch is now hinged and had a lockable latch (not fitted in photo but i swears its there lol)

The new companionway cover has come together pretty good.
just needs some more press studs

looks like it needs another 5 on each side.

zipps work great
will add some straps to wrap it up with.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
29 May 2016 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

We have flooring, well most of it.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
29 May 2016 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Flooring all cut, just needs a few coats of oil and were good to go.

Bought the carpet today, 4m for $92 winning!!

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
30 May 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Foot straps are in.
Started cutting any excess bolts down to size. Pretty loud using the grinder in the cabin.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
30 May 2016 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Every time I read one of your posts, Stuman, I'm reminded of a scene in Planes 2 where the mechanic scoffs at someone suggesting that he get a new part, and says that the part he's repaired is "Better than new!".

Excellent, inspirational work. Keep it up

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
31 May 2016 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks nebbian, will admit that went to my head :)

hopefully finish the companionway cover today, need more press studs

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
31 May 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Decided to make a start on the carpet. Just a rough fit for now.
Will need to glue it to the backing foam, trial fit again, then Velcro it on. The front two pieces are going to be the hardest, being the pointy end and all.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
31 May 2016 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Also found my new favourite tool setup today, angle grinder with a tungsten carbide blade. Looks awesome and cuts great, no sparks and much larger debris making clean up easier.

jdriver
SA, 9 posts
1 Jun 2016 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Glad to see you've still got the guard on.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Jun 2016 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

hahaha yeah im a big fan of the guard, saved my digits a few times.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
1 Jun 2016 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

I've been wanting to do something similar to my angle grinder for a while now. Is that a 100mm cutting disk there Stu? Is it designed for angle grinders, or for circular saws?

Moar POWAAHHH!!!

Toph
WA, 1832 posts
1 Jun 2016 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Nebs, definitely available for grinders. Most Bunnings will stock them (in the tool shop)..

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Jun 2016 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

its a CARB I TOOL one from Toolmart

its specifically made for angle grinders, they offer the 4" 4.5" and 5" sizes

its a great product and much safer thats for sure.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
1 Jun 2016 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that guys.

The only thing that Bunnings had was a 6 tooth blade for a biscuit cutter. Funnily enough it was 100 mm diameter, and looks like it should do the job.

Hopefully I don't lose too many fingers while trying it out

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Jun 2016 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

If not try total tools in midland or kewdale, they have a great range!!!

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
1 Jun 2016 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Incredibly dangerous to have that blade spinning at the speed that angle grinders generally spin at. More teeth are better than less teeth and try to only take shallow cuts and never try to cut anything too thick, if that sucker bites in a deep cut the consequences don't bear thinking about.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Jun 2016 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

They actually make these blades specifically for angle grinders now, with the main reason being safety
they almost mitigate spark potential and have less chance of fracturing.

a while back the only blades you could get like these were made for the low RPM cold cut saw's

so as long as the one you get specifically says for use on an angle grinder your all good :)

Harb
WA, 226 posts
3 Jun 2016 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..
Incredibly dangerous to have that blade spinning at the speed that angle grinders generally spin at. More teeth are better than less teeth and try to only take shallow cuts and never try to cut anything too thick, if that sucker bites in a deep cut the consequences don't bear thinking about.

'
From own experience I'd say the blades with large teeth are safer, less chance to snap them when they get caught specially if you don't use enough lubricant. This one was a brand new blade after catching a tooth half way through cutting a 100x10mm 6060 ali flatbar using just the weight of the 5" grinder.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Red Witch Build" started by Stuman92