NSW, 2140 posts
3 Jun 2016 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Ooooh ...that looks nasty

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
3 Jun 2016 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Stuman. What kind of material did you use for this bad boy companion way hatch??? Planning on the same sort of thing for my TS and getting handy with the sewing machine now.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
4 Jun 2016 5:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi HAIL

I used Marine Vinyl, got it from an upholstery shop but im sure Clark rubber or eBay will have what you need.
the press studs and zips were hard to find though. I did get some clear plastic i was going to sew in as a window but i decided against it as iit was going to probably over complicate things and if i want some extra light in the cabin ill just open the cover or turn the lights on :)

tips for sewing
* Use a Leather needle
* Use good Quality synthetic thread
* Go Slow
* Pin everything in place

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
4 Jun 2016 5:17AM
Thumbs Up

Also HAIL what kind of sewing machine are you using?

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
4 Jun 2016 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Already made new cushions with some pretty nice waterproof material and the machine ate it up easily. Just got a $100 Aldi special machine but seems to be doing the trick so far. Where would be the best place to get push buttons and large plastic zippers???

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
4 Jun 2016 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

BCF Sells the Press studs but there not cheap

unfortunately Ebay is the best place to get them, just make sure you get the correct tool for installing them.

as for the Zip's a lot of haberdashery places sell Exterior UV resistant zips. i think all up my cover cost about $100

I found a nice old 1950's Singer, gave it a good service and now it sews perfectly.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
5 Jun 2016 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Well after a late start I've got 95% of the carpet in and all 4 mattresses in. Hopefully get the final flooring in tonight as Well.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
5 Jun 2016 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

And that's the floor in!!

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
6 Jun 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Got a bit done today starting to just tidy a few things up now

Unfortunately im off to Rottenest tomorrow for work. a whole 11 days staying on the island

been packing, Mountain bike check, snorkel check, fishing road check.

ohhh well someone's got to do it... :) (makes up for all the years working in the bush)

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
11 Jun 2016 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Work on Rottnest is awesome.

Got a few Photos of smiling Quokkas

would be nice if i had the Boat here, could go do some free diving further off the beach.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
25 Jun 2016 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Well Back from Rotto For the weekend

Hard life having to live and work on an island. Especially when you don't have any free time :(

Ohh well only one more week of work out there, Hopeing to work through a few items on the punch list this weekend.

Main 2 items will be finish the Companionway cover and locks, and fit the Radio Aerial
Maybe start looking at mounting the batteries.

Looking to start with 2x 39 Ah SLA Batteries ( My Fridge cooler draws about 3.6 amp so that alone could run for almost 22 hours ) Plus a Solar panel or two
May Even Hide a small 9Ah SLA for use as a backup bilge or Radio power source with its own tiny solar charger

Ill get around to sitting down and working out what i want to be able to run off the system so i can work out the required Battery bank and Solar Input.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
25 Jun 2016 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Looking to start with 2x 39 Ah SLA Batteries ( My Fridge cooler draws about 3.6 amp so that alone could run for almost 22 hours )

I wouldn't recommend draining your batteries below 50% Stu, so that's more like 10hrs and even less in hot weather. If you're planning to use your fridge regularly and for days at the time rather then a few hours in the weekends you're likely to need something like 2x130Ah to allow for partial cloudy and hot days. How many panels do you intend to have ?

I used 2x 135Ah batteries charged by and 2x 64W Unisol panels to run a 90Lt Engel drawing about 3.5-4Ah, couple of lights, radio and GPS and realistically I could have done with another 2-3 panels but had no room for them so I bought a small Honda genset instead. Every couple of days even with blue skies and full sun on panels I'd have to start up the genset to charge the batteries and I ended up getting a 30A charger to speed up the process.

Ramona
NSW, 7475 posts
26 Jun 2016 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Have to remember this is a Red Witch Harb. The battery sizes will have to fit in side somewhere and the panels will have to be smaller than the sail area!

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
26 Jun 2016 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah space will definitely be an issue.
I do plan on using a variable voltage shut off switch so I can set it to cut everything once the voltage drops below say 11volts.

I will try and fit as many amps as possible the 38ah sla are good size that can fit in tight places.

Panel wide not sure but probably one main panel say about 200w that is removable. Then a couple of small panels that keeps the batteries Maintained whilst parked up.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
28 Jun 2016 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Fair enough setting the cutoff at 11v or even 10.5v but that won't give you any extra capacity. Just means your batteries are safe and your fridge will stop working much sooner. With large panels you stand a better chance of getting them partially shaded by the sails and not getting any output at all so maybe consider a few smaller ones instead. Then again as Ramona said, the space to put up the panels is an issue.
Glue some closed cell foam sheet on the back of flexible panels, tie as many as you want together and have them floating behind you ?

If you're only doing small trips of 2-3 days maybe you'd be better off with a tropical esky instead of a fridge. Once full of ice it will last you for days and double as a table, seat or flotation device and then only need a battery and a panel to run the lights, radio and nav gear.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
13 Jul 2016 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Got the Tiller Arm Mounted up yesterday, must say pretty happy with it.

Don't look at how dirty the foot well is :)

I will be swapping it from a single Pin to individual Bolts on the swivel brackets so i can adjust the "friction"

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
13 Jul 2016 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Bilge Pipework in just needs fixing up against the cabin wall

Companionway Hatch now fitted with Lockable latches, the whole cabin can now be locked and secured.

The Original Bow Rail was..... DISGUSTING!!!!!!
So i started on making my own from scratch

Was a bit high so dropped it by about 100mm

Now at the perfect height

Starting to take shape now

All lines up nicely, now that im happy with size and placement ill be shaping and rounding the timber to match the tiller arm style.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
15 Jul 2016 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hit the Bow Rail With the sander yesterday, trying to match the same shape as the Bow of the boat

Blends in a lot nicer now

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
15 Jul 2016 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Got These From Jaycar today, they fit good, hopefully they sound good to.

Well Finished the Bow Rail Tonight, Oiled up well

pretty Pleased with how it all went. Feels solid as a rock too.

Harb
WA, 226 posts
16 Jul 2016 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good.

At least one of us is making some progress.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
16 Jul 2016 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah its slow going with the rain currently

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
16 Jul 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Made a bit of progress today, cupboard doors cut and tested.
Started soldering the LED strip.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
16 Jul 2016 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Better than new

Looking fantastic there Stuman, I really enjoy reading your updates. Keep them coming

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
17 Jul 2016 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nebbian said..

Stuman92 said..

Better than new

Looking fantastic there Stuman, I really enjoy reading your updates. Keep them coming

Cheers Nebbian
The original Bow rail was poorly made from new
the bends were kinked and it lacked rigidity and personally looked too high

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
17 Jul 2016 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Cupboard doors and speakers fitted.
Not bad for a rain day.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
19 Jul 2016 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys

Any Advice on how to get 12v Power to the top of the mast where the Anchorage Light is?

Run a cable in side the mast or outside?

Harb
WA, 226 posts
19 Jul 2016 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

I'd go inside the mast if I was to fit one but personally wouldn't bother with a light on the mast as its not required for under 7 mtrs. Not only unnecessary extra weight added to the mast and more things to go wrong/look after/trip over as you lower and raise your mast but also unlikely to use it very often on a trailer sailer.
Even if you plan to go night cruising a 1mtr plug-in white light near the transom should do the trick and is easily removed out of your way most of the other times when you have no use for it. I'd leave it out for a year or so and just use a lantern or plug-in for now until you see if you really need it , you can always add a light later on.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
19 Jul 2016 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Harb some Good Points.
Ill have a look and if i can do it easily i might run something up but if it looks like too much hassle ill go with the Pole approach.

Well Made some Electrical Progress Finally :) Im Probably way too excited to finally be on to the electrics but its my favourite part and it means im almost done!!!!

It was Pitch Black outside and it was actually about 15% brighter in the cabin that this photo shows!!!
Super Happy!! Will need to use some extra glue to fix the Lighting on though.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
21 Jul 2016 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Well Had my Blonde Moment Today

Setup my AIS Receiver and got it all working with the RPi

Then went, no theirs something wrong its not detecting anything......

being 35km from the cost generally does that hahaha oh well gotta laugh

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
23 Jul 2016 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Finished the RPi nav system today.

Just needs to be mounted and load up a few more charts.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Red Witch Build" started by Stuman92