VIC, 5814 posts
20 Sep 2015 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

This ones for you sands

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
27 Sep 2015 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

This is my favourite just now..... and I don't want to jinx it... so I'm saying it very quietly....there is someone I'm singing this for....

Lexmark
VIC, 218 posts
27 Sep 2015 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

GOOD LUCK

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
27 Sep 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks LexMark

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
27 Sep 2015 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

good one mcnaught , take no prisoners !!

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
27 Sep 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Haha... thanks Sands

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
28 Sep 2015 3:07AM
Thumbs Up

While we're on the subject of Ed Sheeran... I just found this... made me teary!

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
12 Feb 2016 2:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lexmark said..
HiJust a note on first time solo sailing, its consists of 2 things, Panic,and stress and great pleasure.
My tip, for what its worth, plan all actions, and take it easy

Just been looking through old threads, and found mine has slipped to page 15.... .... better fix that.....

So that was back in September that you gave me this advice Lexmark, and a month later I did my first solo sail. That day changed my world...put the world in my hands. Now I'm mostly living on her, and planning for my next sail up the coast soon.

Have done a couple of trips crewing up and down between Brisbane and Port Macquarie, and keen to do more.

Any suggestions for a good Nautical Valentine's Day gift guys?... Apart from that....

seabird
QLD, 227 posts
12 Feb 2016 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Any suggestions for a good Nautical Valentine's Day gift guys?... Apart from that....

Champagne, oysters and new nautical themed bedding ???;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAIL-BOAT-DUVET-QUILT-COVER-NAUTICAL-SHIP-ANCHOR-DOUBLE-BEDDING-BED-SET-BLUE-RED-/141807439816?hash=item210461cfc8:g:AbYAAOSwl9BWJ2Jt

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
12 Feb 2016 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hello McNaughtical

how about a lovely solo sail and refusal to buy into the whole Hallmark occasion??? .

I've been divorced for five years now. Occasionally, very occasionally, I think that it may be nice to have someone special in my life. My past choices have been dismal. At a recent sailing event, I was shocked and shaken up to see a crush from years past which never really started but ended very, very badly.

More recently, I've dipped a very tenuous toe in the world of internet dating. I was taken out to lunch by a gentleman who was chivalrous, polite, respectful, however, he lied about his age....by ten years! THEN it just got better as he started telling me his plans to buy a luxury Winnebago to travel around Australia in. I've been told I have a very expressive face. Poor lad tried to recover the moment and say, perhaps he could buy a yacht and sail around Australia. Aaaaagggghhhhh.

THEN....a man who stated on his profile 'lives for sailing' is up from Lake Macquarie. Arranges the night before to meet me for coffee at 10.30. I wake up to see he has changed the time to 9.00. Pressure! Chill dude! I get ready, not feeling good about this. Arrive at the cafe, do a walk-through, don't see him, take this as a sign from the God/desses and Dog/gesses to exit stage left. I pray he doesn't see me driving out. Then the barrage of texts arrive claiming he "...wanted to spend the whole day building a relationship with me before heading back to Lake Macquarie that night...". OMG!!! Should have known when he told me what kind of boat he owned to just completely disregard him hahahahahahahahah

Honestly, McNaught, a lot of this is just self-protective bravado. It would be lovely to meet someone, but honestly, I've been doing life solo for so very long that I know I won't die if I never have anyone in my life again. I'm a quirky bird, I'm an introvert...all of these things don't hold me in good stead of meeting The One. Conversely, in terms of personality type, they make me a very good candidate for solo sailing

You my dear, on the other hand, are gorgeous!!!! Go forth and conquer!!!! Find that real man who will wet your panties, not your eyes

Trace

"I've never been romantic. And sometimes I don't care. I know it may sound selfish. But let me breathe the air" (Shorrock, G. Cool Change. 1979).

Yara
NSW, 1263 posts
12 Feb 2016 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Trace,
As a former matchmaker (retired), I would like to pass some comments.

The poor guys have to lie about their age, as most ladies are looking (vainly) for younger men. Sorry, life does not work that way.

Re the guy from Lake Mac- what kind of boat did he have? The mind boggles as to how that reveals character.. Flighty lightweight sports boat, or heavy long keeler? Action "A" type guy, or steady, serious, mature fellow?

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
12 Feb 2016 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yara said..
Trace,
As a former matchmaker (retired), I would like to pass some comments.

The poor guys have to lie about their age, as most ladies are looking (vainly) for younger men. Sorry, life does not work that way.

Re the guy from Lake Mac- what kind of boat did he have? The mind boggles as to how that reveals character.. Flighty lightweight sports boat, or heavy long keeler? Action "A" type guy, or steady, serious, mature fellow?

Yara, I don't think it's acceptable to lie about one's age and I don't think it's acceptable to put it back on women being responsible for men having to do so. For goodness' sake, man up!!!! The man in question was 63! I most certainly am not looking for a younger man - they can offer me nothing. Nearing 50, I get a lot of 'young, dumb and hung' boys straight out of nappies wanting to talk to me....and probably wanting to get their 'grey wings'. No thanks. I seek more of a cerebral meeting.

The name of where the Lake guy came from reveals the brand of his boat, kinda sorta...och aye....

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
12 Feb 2016 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
I'm a quirky bird, I'm an introvert...all of these things don't hold me in good stead of meeting The One

Trace

You an introvert? Since when. everyone should go back to the threads on here when you owned the Crowther. No signs of introvertedness (yes, that's a word) in many of those posts.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
12 Feb 2016 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

theselkie said..
I'm a quirky bird, I'm an introvert...all of these things don't hold me in good stead of meeting The One

Trace

You an introvert? Since when. everyone should go back to the threads on here when you owned the Crowther. No signs of introvertedness (yes, that's a word) in many of those posts.

True story LooseChange.
In the early days of owning the Crowther, I was a very sick girl, trying to cover up that introvertedness (yes, I agree that is a word), as well as ameliorate a lot of other stuff going on in life, by drinking...and drinking...and drinking. Now, I just accept myself for the quirky, introverted, socially awkward chick I am. Lots of people don't, but that's not my problem.
Oh, and I don't drink. Got sober 4 June 2011 and haven't had a drink since OR thought about having one. Life is good

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
12 Feb 2016 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

This is reasonably romantic ...............................

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
12 Feb 2016 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Or this????

Sweet memories....

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
12 Feb 2016 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

great band in the early days !!! the hunters ...........good choice !!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
12 Feb 2016 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

there is some romance in this track on some level

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
13 Feb 2016 12:52AM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh, Selkie,

Absolutely love your comments. We must get together some time over a cuppa and swap internet dating stories. We could have a lot of laughs. Lovely of you to be so open about yourself on here.

Quirky and introverted.... there will be someone out there who just loves that about you.

Me.. .I guess I'm quirky and extroverted. I seem to have the knack of scaring away anyone that I actually like. I'm too overthetop apparently...

Yara, I've been told that taking me on would be like taking on a 30 year old... which is actually a huge compliment. I note that a lot of men my age or older are not interested in being active, adventurous, or healthy, however, there are exceptions to the rule, and age is not so important as being well matched and in love. ... and I agree with everything Selkie said on that subject., except that unlike you Selkie I have no objection to a younger man unless he's younger than my sons... then it would get a bit creepy....

I am a hopeless romantic, and Valentine's day is special for many reasons to me... including the most traumatic Valentine's day imaginable 2 years ago. Then fortunately Last year I had one of my sons as my Valentine's Day company, and this year I'm blessed to have another of my sons here.. same day .. .same place again, so I won't be too lonely.

Yes... I am an extrovert. I love being around people, and don't like the thought of years unfolding ahead without a significant other.

However..... being quirky and introverted or extroverted or whatever we are.... it is not easy to find someone that suits....

Firstly, one weeds out the alcoholics, gamblers, bitter and twisted, sour and angry, smokers, recreational drug users, the unwashed, and the lazy, then from those left if there is anyone left to choose from, add the criteria that they must like being out on the ocean in a boat...and they must of course appeal in all the right ways... all of a sudden the field narrows considerably... then that magic person pops up from nowhere, and you wait..... is this the one??????? Or not......

Funny you mention the Cool Change song too Selkie,,,,, I've been singing that in my head the last 3 days. I must learn it and do a rendition on here. There is just a certain magic about being out there alone. It's just good to know that I can. You would like Naomi James" book " At one with the sea". She described herself as an introvert also, and said that it made her suited to solo sailing around the world. And thank you Selkie for you comments that I'm gorgeous. You are too, and I hope you find your soul mate one day.

I can't watch the you tube songs at the moment Sands, but I'll watch when I can.

Have a great Valentine's Day everyone.... Anyone want to tell the story of how they met and fell in love??

Gravy7
NSW, 242 posts
13 Feb 2016 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

The name of where the Lake guy came from reveals the brand of his boat, kinda sorta...och aye....

Oh the mystery! Not a gentleman from Fassifern with a MacGregor 26 by any chance?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Feb 2016 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

For all you sailing cougars out there
Oh and Sands of course

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
13 Feb 2016 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

good song Hg !!!! and very romantic !!!

some people may think this tune fits into the romantic category ...

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
13 Feb 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

This is a great recording , and top song , and after listening to it again tonight i,m sure it fits into the romantic category big time !!

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
14 Feb 2016 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gravy7 said..

theselkie said..

Oh the mystery! Not a gentleman from Fassifern with a MacGregor 26 by any chance?

Not unless he keeps it at Fassifern?? He claims he's at the mouth of the Lake...place starts with 'S'. Can neither confirm nor deny the boat hahahahaha .

Happy Valentines to all you so-inclined folks. Have one for me, whatever 'one' may be hahahaha

My only gift has been a bream deposited in my cockpit, discovered when I went down to the boat yesterday. Someone suggested perhaps it was one of the dolphins who cruise the canals threw it in there for me.....awwww......that's sooooo swwweeeet

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
14 Feb 2016 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Nah......it was me Selkie. I couldn't think of a better Valentines gift......I know, I know.....I'm a true romantic.

Meg1122
QLD, 285 posts
14 Feb 2016 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Or this????

Sweet memories....

Ah yes, 'Throw your arms around me', the song my now ex husband would play when the woman he was sleeping with (unknown to me) would drop in to visit us....so very romantic for some of us, (I used to think he was playing it for me) would be heartbreaking if it wasn't so bloody funny....LOL!!

Meg1122
QLD, 285 posts
14 Feb 2016 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

^^Oops actually was McNaughtical who posted, silly me, still a bloody good song though .

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
15 Feb 2016 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Nah......it was me Selkie. I couldn't think of a better Valentines gift......I know, I know.....I'm a true romantic.

Aw Sam......you know the way to a selkie's heart

@ Meg...so sorry to hear of your bad memories associated with this song. Just don't know why people need to be cruel . Hugs to you xx

Maxbicyclemax
WA, 38 posts
15 Feb 2016 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

I don't post much here so I hope this comes across as intended and doesn't paint me with a "bad vibe" brush

I was single for ages and found whenever you're with another single person a certain percentage of the meet ups and conversation is about (in my case) girls, how to find one, the right one etc etc
Married with kids now.

Was talking to an older female (late 50's) long time friend of mine the other day. She is a habitual quick fling, long fling, fiery fling type of woman. Very successful. But doesn't believe true love is real.

She surprised me the other day when she blurted out "there is a lot to be said for arranged marriages, no wonder they last."
Now, she was not talking about the evil and inappropriate forced weddings you here about on the news.
She was talking about the more "pure" arranged marriages. Where two average and innocent families see there son and daughter of appropriate ages as a good match. And arrange a marriage.
She (my friend) said "so many people, especially young girls (as she was speaking for herself) are attracted to the wrong elements in a potential boyfriend/girlfriend."
And that parents, as grown ups, can see what will be the lasting qualities for a long term relationship.
Never thought of it that way before.

Hope this has not come across as to controversial. I'm not trying to make any big statement.
Just part of a conversation I had with my old habitually single friend.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Romance" started by McNaughtical