Forums > Sailing General

Seabreeze WA Catch Up 2017

Created by Toph > 9 months ago, 26 Jul 2017
Toph
WA, 1838 posts
26 Jul 2017 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Shall we do another Seabreeze WA catch-up?
I am thinking the second last weekend or last weekend of October (unashamedly that's when I should be back in the Metro area).
We can go to Rottnest again, BBQ lunch on the beach and maybe dinner and a few beers at the pub, or if with enough notice, would anyone like to go further afield?

Through your thoughts out there and we will try and accommodate as many as possible.

benateau281
WA, 39 posts
31 Jul 2017 6:51AM
Thumbs Up

2nd last weekend in october wors for me sounds good

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
31 Jul 2017 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds good to me. Happy to go anywhere.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
31 Jul 2017 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Well from a pure selfish point of view I would say second last weekend of October at the Abrolhos Islands, but I would suspect that that would be to restrictive. I do recall discussion after the last one of going a little further afield then Rottnest, so are the Abrolhos too far????

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
31 Jul 2017 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I think the Abrolhos is a bit far for my time available. I would like to plan a trip up there around mid next year though.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
31 Jul 2017 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..
Yeah I think the Abrolhos is a bit far for my time available. I would like to plan a trip up there around mid next year though.

Ok, Rotto it is then (unless anyone comes up with another option).
Let me know if you would take a tag-a-long on your Abrolhos trip though...

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
1 Aug 2017 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

I'm happy anywhere within about a days sail or so from Perth. Rotto is probably best, but if Rotto fees add up too much, we could look at Pigs Trough, or somewhere a bit south? I'm not sure where else might be good for an overnight?

if you've got any leave left for midish next year, then yeah, lets plan an Abrolhos trip for sure.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
2 Aug 2017 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said
we could look at Pigs Trough, or somewhere a bit south

I've never heard of Pigs Trough. Where is that?

benateau281
WA, 39 posts
2 Aug 2017 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

I think it is Garden island east side

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
2 Aug 2017 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benateau281 said..
I think it is Garden island east side

Yeah, top of garden island, east side. Our club has a few moorings there.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
29 Sep 2017 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Just bringing this back up to the top. Found it way back on page 4

So Should we lock in the weekend of the 21st-22nd October, at Thompsons Bay Rottnest? I'm proposing a BBQ for lunch on the Saturday, maybe sundowners on someone's boat (I'll volunteer mine) and follow up with a few beers and dinner at the pub.

I could see see what is available tour wise for Sunday morning if anyone would be interested in something like that and activities for any kids coming along (I have two 8 and 11 that will be there).

Hands up who's coming

BlueMoon
866 posts
29 Sep 2017 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Do you have to pay fees when visiting Rotto via your own yacht, National Park fees?
Was there about 10 yrs ago via the ferry , awesome place

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
29 Sep 2017 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Should be ok but need to head back early Sunday morning for Discover Sailing day. I might go over Friday, depending on work roster.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
30 Sep 2017 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Would you be bringing your family?

I Will likely already be there on the Friday too.

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
30 Sep 2017 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Kids usually have a lot on, so probably not. Booked a mooring in Thomson Bay for NYE fireworks, get in quick if you're interested.

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
1 Oct 2017 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BlueMoon said..
Do you have to pay fees when visiting Rotto via your own yacht, National Park fees?
Was there about 10 yrs ago via the ferry , awesome place

Yes. $18 adult for day trip, $24 extended stay. We buy an annual pass for the boat which is $339. Another $600 gives us access to the shared mooring system which is great for regular visitors. Free anchorage areas are a bit limited with lots of weed as well, but there are a number of rental moorings for casual visits. Easter and Christmas/New Year really busy, but even school holiday time can look like this, Parakeet Bay.

josusa
WA, 110 posts
10 Oct 2017 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Toph said..
Just bringing this back up to the top. Found it way back on page 4

So Should we lock in the weekend of the 21st-22nd October, at Thompsons Bay Rottnest? I'm proposing a BBQ for lunch on the Saturday, maybe sundowners on someone's boat (I'll volunteer mine) and follow up with a few beers and dinner at the pub.

I could see see what is available tour wise for Sunday morning if anyone would be interested in something like that and activities for any kids coming along (I have two 8 and 11 that will be there).

Hands up who's coming

I hope to get there and would have my 11 yr old son with me. Might be able to get there Friday. Would leave Sunday.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
15 Oct 2017 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

The weather for the weekend is looking a litttle blowy guys. 20ish kt easterly in Thompsons might be a little uncomfortable. Conversing with FreeRadical, Mindarie marina might be an option.
Im in Geraldton at the moment and looks like my weather window opens up on Friday. I should make Mindarie by noonish Saturday.
I'm not sure where some of you guys are coming from, so it might be a bit far.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
18 Oct 2017 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

I won't be leaving Geraldton now until Saturday morning and will only be going as far as Mindarie.
Other Joshua, were you still interested in going. Maybe liase with FreeRadical considering you were both going to go Friday and Saturday.

Otherwise we can postpone to another date....

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
18 Oct 2017 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

This weekend not looking the best for me now. Perhaps reschedule?

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
19 Oct 2017 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Ok guys, I haven't heard from anybody else bar FreeRadical, so lets rescheduled the catch up.

If if you happen to be at Rottnest anyway, lookout for each other and enjoy it. But unfortunately I won't be there this time round.

josusa
WA, 110 posts
20 Oct 2017 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Ok looks like another time then. Pity. Nice conditions for me getting there and back but I agree that Saturday wind is less than ideal for Thomson's Bay. Have any of you anchored in Longreach before? How is the depth? Looks borderline for me with a draft of 1.5m.

LALancer
WA, 40 posts
27 Oct 2017 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

What about a new date for the catch up? I would prefer Pig Trough Bay. It is not as far in an 18 footer from Pt Peron where I launch from. If an Easterly comes in I can duck around to Herring Bay, or even go over to Woodmans Point. There is a BBQ under some trees.

LA Lancer

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
27 Oct 2017 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Hi LaLancer, I'm pretty keen to have a catch up, but I have just returned from a 6 month cruise. Still on the boat in the marina cleanimg and tidying up. Have to get kids ready to go back to school and I will have a fairly hectic return to work.

Unfortunately, this has gone way down the list of priorities for me. I am happy for someone else to organise a date and I don't mind where we go, othwrwise I will get back onto it in a few weeks or so

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
27 Nov 2017 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Toph and I have planned a catch-up weekend at Rottnest Dec 15-17.

Anyone else interested?

josusa
WA, 110 posts
28 Nov 2017 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

I'm interested at this stage.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
11 Dec 2017 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Im watching the weather closely for this weekend. Once again it is not looking like the most pleasant of days. I have noticed a slight trend of improvement over the last couple of days.
As I am not using the SMS and have rented a RIA mooring, I will need to make the call by Wednesday morning.
FreeRdaical and I thought we could have lunch at Parakeet Bay, and the Hudu Gurus have generously agreed to play for us on the Sunday

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
11 Dec 2017 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

I was hoping to head over late Friday but early Sat is looking best at the moment.

Toph
WA, 1838 posts
21 Dec 2017 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

It was another non successful Rotto weekend, with swell forecast to 5m and 30kt winds, it was decided again to give it a miss. Still FR and I managed to get the best part of a day sail in before it got a little blowy.

The day started off with FR motoring north and me sailing south. My first view of FR was his sticks, but very quickly changed to a view of cloth. I guess that translated to 'game on'. The subsequent race south was duly won by FR.

Seachange and Mikado

Will try a Rotto trip again on the weekend of Jan 6th if anybody else is interested.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Seabreeze WA Catch Up 2017" started by Toph