Forums > Sailing General

Spirited Designs - Spirited 380

Created by jgb1787 > 9 months ago, 28 Apr 2015
jgb1787
WA, 70 posts
28 Apr 2015 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Everyone, Looking at taking on and starting a huge build/challenge in the next 12 months building a catamaran from a kit/prefab supplier such as Spirited Designs. www.spiriteddesigns.com.au

Their Spirited 380 looks like the type/layout i am after. Just wondering if anyone has been close on on one of these cats or had any experience with suppliers of kits etc. Cheers!

HappyG
VIC, 292 posts
28 Apr 2015 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hello jgb1787, I used to work for a company in Melbourne called RMK Marine. I built a design called the Oceanic 373. The difference is in finished mouldings and how much you are willing to work.

The Spirited Kit is Canoe moulds and top decks round. The rest of the design is made from CNC Panels which you have to Fill Fair and Sand. Hey I am not saying its a hard boat to make, but its all in the finishing.

Personally If I had the time I would go and sail one first. Contact the designer and ask for a sail.

You will have to be extremely realistic about a 12 month timeline. Personally I think it will take double that. I would employ a couple of boat builders to Sand Fair and spray your boat for you it will save you a lot of headaches.

This is the Kit we used to make... Still available I think... Have to shoot of an email to RMK - Richard ... rmkmarine.com.au

jgb1787
WA, 70 posts
28 Apr 2015 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HappyG said..
Hello jgb1787, I used to work for a company in Melbourne called RMK Marine. I built a design called the Oceanic 373. The difference is in finished mouldings and how much you are willing to work.

The Spirited Kit is Canoe moulds and top decks round. The rest of the design is made from CNC Panels which you have to Fill Fair and Sand. Hey I am not saying its a hard boat to make, but its all in the finishing.

Personally If I had the time I would go and sail one first. Contact the designer and ask for a sail.

You will have to be extremely realistic about a 12 month timeline. Personally I think it will take double that. I would employ a couple of boat builders to Sand Fair and spray your boat for you it will save you a lot of headaches.

This is the Kit we used to make... Still available I think... Have to shoot of an email to RMK - Richard ... rmkmarine.com.au

Thanks Happy G, When i say 12 months i meant i plan on starting the project within the next 12 months :) I think i will need 24-30 months to complete. Fairing and finishing i would have someone complete for me... not my idea of fun and i believe there is alot of that on the Spirited Models. I will contact Richard, cheers for the advice :)

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
28 Apr 2015 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi jgb1787,

check out some of the builds on this site,go to the forum site

diy-yachts.com/forum/

the guys there are building or have built all types of cats, kit form and others.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Spirited Designs - Spirited 380" started by jgb1787