Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

GoFoil GL 140 WOW in Big Waves & Small

Created by Beasho > 9 months ago, 4 Mar 2020
Beasho
263 posts
4 Mar 2020 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

I ordered the GoFoil GL 140 after hearing Dave Kalama and James Casey rave about it on the Progression Series Podcast (below). I was skeptical because the wing appeared too small. I couldn't be more thrilled with this new high aspect wing.

My local spot is Mavericks in Half Moon Bay, CA. What this means is that I have access to bigger surf than anywhere else. The trench that produces 50 foot waves on big days also delivers head high conditions when everything else is flat. When conditions are 12 ft @ 10 seconds the inside of Mavericks will be heaving 10 to 15 footers that no one else surfs because the waves jack and then fade too fast for conventional craft.

Last year I was trying to catch these inner waves but was having a hard time getting in early enough and keeping the wing down. Not anymore. The GL140 has changed all that. I can get in and my confidence has risen to the point where I am willing to take off on a 10 to 15 foot face under my own power aka big wave foiling with no jet ski. Fantastic stuff!!!!!

I have been filming but from my perspective it doesn't look big. From a distance it looks like this. These were shot at HIGH tide which means I am taking off in deep water aka NOTHING SMALL BREAKS HERE.

Beasho
263 posts
4 Mar 2020 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

If you haven't listened to these Podcasts then you are missing out. These are great. The following episodes discuss the GL140:

The Progression Project - Dave Kalama Part 2
www.stitcher.com/podcast/erik-antonson/the-progression-project/e/66091102

The Progression Project - James Casey 3
www.stitcher.com/podcast/erik-antonson/the-progression-project/e/65882995

The Progression Project - Jason Tanglin GoTo 44:25 "That 140 was a game changer Alex did a good job on that."
www.stitcher.com/podcast/erik-antonson/the-progression-project/e/66651146

PS: Piros has his own episode as well
www.stitcher.com/podcast/erik-antonson/the-progression-project/e/62290361

Beasho
263 posts
4 Mar 2020 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

The wing is fast. Last year there was a speed competition from Ocean Addicts.

An entire session on the GL140 would be among the fastest waves in the world. Every wave!

Maybe other brands are making wings like this that fly well, stay down and rip in the surf. For now this wing is GREAT!

The 27.9 MPH below translates to 44.9 KMH - The Fastest Wave Recorded in the World (un-assisted). This was just my second weekend of data on the wing. OMG!!!!!!

Link here: www.oceanaddicts.com.au/hydrofoiling-competition/

Last Year's Speed Results:

Beasho
263 posts
4 Mar 2020 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

This guy was also riding the GL140. I suspect he is lighter than me (86 Kg). So IF I can paddle in and stay on my feet there should NOT be an upper limit to this wings ability to handle big waves.

NOTE: People were asking why he was crouching - IT WAS TO GO FASTER TO OUTRUN THE FRAGGING WAVE.

juandesooka
615 posts
5 Mar 2020 3:17AM
Thumbs Up

RAD. After hearing all these glowing reports, I am attempting to make a 140-homage ... if I can achieve even half of the benefits of the real thing, I'll be ahead I reckon.

x2 on the Progression Project. I have all of them downloaded on my phone and listen to them when driving. The stoke level on there is off the scale, I really enjoy having an hour with other people who are as stoked on this as I am. The only negative, they get me so hyped up and frantic to get on the water, that it verges on unhealthy. ;-) The other negative, I guess, is me obsessively sending links of key episodes to all my foiling and non-foiling friends, trying to get them to listen ...

Piros: aha, connection made! Really enjoyed his chat on there.

pohaku
NSW, 850 posts
5 Mar 2020 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Yeew. The 140 is 100% my go to wing as well!
if anyone in AUS wants one I suggest you pre order as more will be landing soon but you need to jump on the list that's how popular they are.

Beasho
263 posts
5 Mar 2020 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Eddie O'Gata ripping on the GL140 in Medium and smaller waves. Although the opening scene is a nice overhead drop.

Beasho
263 posts
7 Mar 2020 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

Today was smaller and a bit windy. But there are still ways to make small, 6 to 8 foot faces, exciting.

The GL140 was crushing it and my confidence continues to rise with this wing. I was out alone because everyone thought it was too windy, choppy . . .

I hit 23 mph / 37 kmh on this wave. I have crashed doing this takeoff between the rocks and it is very unpleasant. This was my first day testing the GoPro MAX. You can pause and look around. Objects are closer than they appear.

Thatspec
354 posts
7 Mar 2020 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting info Beasho, thanks for posting it.
Most interesting to me is Piros hitting 42.3 Kph on a Kai, and even the speed on the Iwa was pretty good.

Beasho
263 posts
8 Mar 2020 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday 11 feet at 14 seconds. Wind finally dropped. I paddled out at Sunset to Mavericks

Was feeling confident then I got CLIPPED!!!!! That shaved my confidence back a bit.

Took an hour and then caught this FLAMING BAZOOKA. Rode for 500 yards. OMG! OMG! OMG!

From the GoPro perspective anything that breaks the horizon is over my head ~ 6 feet. I am flying full tilt on a 2 foot mast. Call it the top 8 feet making the drop on what was minimum 15 foot face.

Beasho
263 posts
10 Mar 2020 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

First to Fly Mavericks.

I was the last one out at Sunset. The second to last surfer was paddling in and I said "Hopefully I'll pass you on my way in." And I did.

You can pause and look around. GL140 on a 7' 4" Big Wave Gun Hah!

colas
5064 posts
10 Mar 2020 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Wow...

Is that kelp we see bobbing out of the water, for instance before you catch the wave?

Beasho
263 posts
11 Mar 2020 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..
Wow...

Is that kelp we see bobbing out of the water, for instance before you catch the wave?

Yes - Bull Kelp. Yet another challenge to taking off at that spot. No shortage of excitement. When I am dropping and eventually up and riding I am navigating the kelp heads. On takeoff the wave rises up and the kelp disappears but after making the drop or flying the troughs the kelp will take you out.

PS: Colas - Your trick of leaving the back foot out of the strap on bigger takeoffs is what I use to survive when things get to unruly. Sometimes I just fly the entire wave with my foot out. Thank You!!!

exiled
363 posts
11 Mar 2020 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Time to buy a 360 cam Beasho :)

juandesooka
615 posts
11 Mar 2020 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Beasho said..

PS: Colas - Your trick of leaving the back foot out of the strap on bigger takeoffs is what I use to survive when things get to unruly. Sometimes I just fly the entire wave with my foot out. Thank You!!!

Ever tried foot hooks? I use them for kiting, allows for some "grip", something to push against, but in wipeouts there's nothing holding you to the board.

Lots of people use a single strap kiting too, but there's always the danger of your foot not coming out in a wipeout....that's a potential leg breaker.

Btw, the foot hooks are pretty expensive for what you get. You can DIY them pretty easily with flattened PVC pipe or a strip of plastic cutting board bent with a heat gun. And if lucky enough to ride somewhere without booties, sew some neoprene over top for nice soft touch. ;-)

Beasho
263 posts
11 Mar 2020 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

I've been using footstraps for 25 years. Windsurfing, now 2 years foiling. Never, ever had a problem getting out of the straps.

People love to talk about what COULD happen but most of them have ZERO experience with Footstraps. Think Laird, Kai, Kalamas, Robby Naish, Jason Polokaw, Derek Hama . . . When stuff goes wrong you kick out.

?list=PLAF8F7CA48771087E

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
11 Mar 2020 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Thatspec said..
Most interesting to me is Piros hitting 42.3 Kph on a Kai, and even the speed on the Iwa was pretty good.

It is interesting looking back at the older wings and the way we used to ride back then. I think there may be something in it. We all look at the new HA wings as being super fast, and in many ways they are, but more so they are efficient. This is a different thing. When I look back in to 2018 on the Thrust Surf Large from Naish, I have sessions where half of my waves were over 40kmh. These days this is more like 28-30kmh. I do believe the average speeds are higher, and the rides are longer (in most cases), but we definitely hit higher highs back in the good old days. I also think the shorter board trend is also largely to answer for speeds going down in many instances. Swing weight is good when you're flying by the seat of your pants.

Beasho ripping buddy. Thats smoking. What length is your board?

Ride safe,

JB

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
11 Mar 2020 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JB said..

Thatspec said..

It is interesting looking back at the older wings and the way we used to ride back then. I think there may be something in it. We all look at the new HA wings as being super fast, and in many ways they are, but more so they are efficient. This is a different thing. When I look back in to 2018 on the Thrust Surf Large from Naish, I have sessions where half of my waves were over 40kmh. These days this is more like 28-30kmh. I do believe the average speeds are higher, and the rides are longer (in most cases), but we definitely hit higher highs back in the good old days. I also think the shorter board trend is also largely to answer for speeds going down in many instances. Swing weight is good when you're flying by the seat of your pants.

Beasho ripping buddy. Thats smoking. What length is your board?

Ride safe,

JB

It is interesting , I remember recording a couple of rides on my old 76 SS infinity wing at 46 kph tow surfing on a prone board , and it's a low aspect wing but quiet thin and fast, but it doesn't handle like the new wings which turn better and are smoother to ride.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
11 Mar 2020 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I'm dubious on my early speeds , cracking 40 kph is ridiculously fast. One thing we know for sure now is the Garmin & Ripcurl are very inaccurate plus when you get launched that's generally where you get your max speed from on the Garmin. The Apple watch is far more accurate and we have done plenty of test with wearing multiple watches at once and surfing side by comparing individual wave stats on the Apple. The Gyro in the Apple rarely records a freak speed no matter how hard you hit the water.
Since we have all switched to the Apple no one has cracked 40 kph. 37 , 38 is absolute max and we are on high and low aspect wings on 4-5 prone boards. The consistency in the figures on individual waves and tons of testing and comparison makes us believe the Apple is the most accurate. So my point is we are now measuring speed more accurately , we are not getting slower.

robg1703
NSW, 226 posts
11 Mar 2020 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with Piros, both my Rip Curl & Garmin were inaccurate but my Apple watch seems to be much more consistent with recording my speeds & distances...
The GoFoil GL140 is pretty well my go-to foil on both Sup & Prone especially in bigger surf....
I was clocking around the 38km mark on my 5'11 JL Flying V sup at a long lefthander not that long ago but unless it's a particularly long wave I'm surfing I don't even bother anymore...only downwinding...Apple have good apps for surfing, foiling, paddling & downwinding too..
Average speed is slow because it's a loooong paddle back out :)

kobo
NSW, 1094 posts
11 Mar 2020 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Yeah I'm dubious on my early speeds , cracking 40 kph is ridiculously fast. One thing we know for sure now is the Garmin & Ripcurl are very inaccurate plus when you get launched that's generally where you get your max speed from on the Garmin. The Apple watch is far more accurate and we have done plenty of test with wearing multiple watches at once and surfing side by comparing individual wave stats on the Apple. The Gyro in the Apple rarely records a freak speed no matter how hard you hit the water.
Since we have all switched to the Apple no one has cracked 40 kph. 37 , 38 is absolute max and we are on high and low aspect wings on 4-5 prone boards. The consistency in the figures on individual waves and tons of testing and comparison makes us believe the Apple is the most accurate. So my point is we are now measuring speed more accurately , we are not getting slower.

Yep that makes sense Piros, when I use the garmin with the surf tracker app I don't believe the speeds, but when I have used the kite or sup app I have never gone faster than 36 kph on any surf wing, which seems more believable.I have to say I was going so fast on the Armstrong 1200 wing the other day surfing that I don't care what speed it was, as long as I don't fall off cause I know it would be pretty!

tarquin1
950 posts
11 Mar 2020 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

www.velocitek.com/products/speedpuck
Not cheap. It will be more accurate though. Or a hand held gps.
I also looked at comparisons between watches phones and cycling computers a while ago. The cycling computers were a lot more accurate. Easily download info into Strava or something to see tracks,avg speed etc.

Thatspec
354 posts
11 Mar 2020 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Piros for weighing in on that, makes sense. When I look at that (fairly) recent video of Jame Casey foiling Uluwatu, that sure looks like a Kai front wing he's on (maybe a Nalu even)
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the GL series and see they're more hydrodynamic though with significantly less anhedral. So Casey has access to the latest prototype gear yet here he's riding a "dinosaur". Handling?... Or as simple as that's all that was available?

(I can watch that over and over...)

805StandUp
128 posts
11 Mar 2020 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Thatspec said..
Thanks Piros for weighing in on that, makes sense. When I look that (fairly) recent video of Jame Casey foiling Uluwatu, that sure looks like a Kai front wing he's on (maybe a Nalu even)
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the GL series and see they're more hydrodynamic though with significantly less anhedral. So Casey has access to the latest prototype gear yet here he's riding a "dinosaur". Handling?... Or as simple as that's all that was available?
... (I can watch that over and over...)

James didn't have his GL 140 or 100 yet when he was tow foiling Uluwatu... Alex shipped those to Thailand and he grabbed it there when he was coaching at the Sunova Foil Camp in September of last year.

Beasho
263 posts
11 Mar 2020 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

I was hoping that Speed Puck would be good. BUT NO!

I have been using TRACE for 5 years. It recorded data 5 times per second. I know because I have ripped out more than 2 million data points from the device over the years. This is key to understanding takeoff speeds.

The Apple watch is my second go-to because the TRACE kept losing its battery, getting water in it or crashing. I would buy this device but at 1/2 lb it would weigh down the board AND the data coming in every 2 seconds might be good for an 8 hour sail but no good for us on waves.

I am using Dawn Patrol on the iWatch - LOVE IT. Any better recommendations out there. I would like to be able to download the data.

Beasho
263 posts
11 Mar 2020 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

I wrote an article for Microsoft on data processing using my surf data as an example.

The good news is that the FASTEST you would need to go on a wave with a foil is ~ 35 mph or 56 kmh (maybe 40 but no evidence has been presented) .

I know because these were my fastest waves recorded at Mavericks. Big Waves. 30 to 40 feet. See photo below with data overlay. Next step would be maybe 100 feet. These would be speed on the drops.

There is a possibility that on an open ocean wave, going down the line you could get faster aka Laird at Nazarre BUT this is a good representation of max speeds.

See article here:
powerpivotpro.com/2018/02/power-bi-used-for-surfing-fun/

tarquin1
950 posts
11 Mar 2020 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

I am surprised about the speed puck. I know a few coaches that use them for dinghy coaching and swear by them. As you said with the 2 hz it should be more accurate.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Mar 2020 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

Not totally true. I still cack 40's now and have aways used Apple watch.

This was not a stack. But it was on a low aspect foil - JET 1250 with STD 320 Rear on a short Fuselage and 85cm mast.

This foil is basically the same as the Thrust Surf L that I got all my other 40's on too. Best speed I think was 44.3kmh (and pf coarse I can't find it). But I did get 40kmh a lot more regularly when I rode a longer board.

Interesting.

JB

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Mar 2020 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Beasho said..

I have been using TRACE for 5 years. It recorded data 5 times per second. I know because I have ripped out more than 2 million data points from the device over the years. This is key to understanding takeoff speeds.

The Apple watch is my second go-to because the TRACE kept losing its battery, getting water in it or crashing. I would buy this device but at 1/2 lb it would weigh down the board AND the data coming in every 2 seconds might be good for an 8 hour sail but no good for us on waves.

I am using Dawn Patrol on the iWatch - LOVE IT. Any better recommendations out there. I would like to be able to download the data.

Hey Beacho,

With Waterspeed App you can export to many forms including the raw GPX files. It will not recognise your waves like Dawn Patrol, but it is great for measuring longer runs and replaying runs as you can watch the data like speed, heading and HR. I basically use Waterspeed for Winging, DW'ing and SUP racing, then use Dawn Patrol for Surfing. If I can be bothered extracting the waves (which is actually pretty easy) then Waterspeed app has some better data to drill back into if you like data (I generally send my GPX files back to Naish for analysis) .

Here's some screen shots from a recent Wing session to show just some of the features of Waterspeed.

Here's the export screen. Plenty of options.

The Export Share screen.

Session stats Speed vs HR and Session info.

The Splits. These can be done in 500m, 1KM and 1NM.

Secondary Stats. Bests. Basic headings, HRs etc.

The main page. You can play your session back in 1x, 2x, 4x speeds with stats showing in the box lower left. Pretty cool.

I am talking with the App developers now to try get a wave separator happening, but you can basically use the scissors at the bottom and extract between two points (that you select) and get wave by wave data.

Worth a look.

JB

DWF
618 posts
12 Mar 2020 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

Any opinion on what app is better, Waterspeed or dawn patrol on the Apple Watch.

Beasho
263 posts
12 Mar 2020 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Beasho said..

JB said..

Hey Beacho,

With Waterspeed App you can export to many forms including the raw GPX files. It will not recognise your waves like Dawn Patrol, but it is great for measuring longer runs and replaying runs as you can watch the data like speed, heading and HR. I basically use Waterspeed for Winging, DW'ing and SUP racing, then use Dawn Patrol for Surfing. If I can be bothered extracting the waves (which is actually pretty easy) then Waterspeed app has some better data to drill back into if you like data (I generally send my GPX files back to Naish for analysis) .
Worth a look.

JB

JB - This is super helpful. Can I send my data back to Naish for analysis?

With all seriousness I may have a solution. If you read the article I did on Microsoft Power BI I was getting 'Massive' GPX downloads from my TRACE. There was the pretty graph that TRACE would provide on my phone, like Dawn Patrol, but then David Lohskin from TRACE would upload the GPX files from every session to a Drop Box. This was SAS automatic. I would download them and run my Power BI custom APP on top of the data. I say massive but really it was just 5 MB raw files with 25,000 GPS way-points. No wave identifiers, just rows and rows of time series data.

Time: Every 1/5th of a second? Speed: Meters per second? Azimuth: Orientation North / South? Latitude? Longitude? Elevation Meters

I WROTE THE CODE TO FIGURE OUT THE WAVES.

In simple terms it was Wave = Where speed >> 4 miles per hour for 2 seconds or more. The graphics I showed in the article were from MY APPLICATION. Not that I have a ton of time but I could modify that code to do the same thing for the GPX files from Waterspeed. You, or anyone else, might be able to just take the desktop app point to the latest file and BUILD the same view you have on the watch but with an ability to play through the wave, build graphs . . . . .

I thought people would be interested in taking what I built and running with it but like foiling at Mavericks NO ONE WANTS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. Maybe there are some other mutants out there.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"GoFoil GL 140 WOW in Big Waves & Small" started by Beasho