Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Naish Glider HA 1400 - More than just a pump foil!

Created by Windgenuity 2 months ago, 1 Jul 2024
Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Jul 2024 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Had a few really fun runs on the Naish Glider HA 1400 yesterday. Decent Southerly that teased for quite a while before turning on around 12:30 and building throughout the afternoon.
My first run was at 12:30, Wind reading was 11-18kn. great bumps, bigger than anticipated, some huge drops out there. Unfortunately I had one big cartwheel on the 11km where I lost my headphones and ended up in a bit of yard sale losing 90 seconds to get reorganised, but otherwise a great run.

Then for the second run the wind was very similar at the start but increased throughout the run gusting to about 25kn. Swells increased too. This run was pretty epic!. HR was a big better on the second run too, as the stack elevated my exertion a bit, plus having to paddle up again.

Both runs, really showcasing what the Glider can do. Just the day before (Saturday) I was doing DW drill bump running in 5kn, and able to stay primed at 3:10 pace without pumping, then Sunday clocking some cracking sup 2:30 km's and averaging a 2:36 pace over the entire run with a 137bpm av HR.

I can flatwater paddle up this foil, and it turns better than you'd think. It really does cover a lot of ground! Easy, intuitive, stable and with a massive range.

Definitely be my main foil for the upcoming Cairns DW races.

Ride safe,

JB

MilesH
155 posts
2 Jul 2024 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see what the Glider can do in the right hands

Are you using the 250 2D stab with it?

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
3 Jul 2024 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Got a mate who has the 1400 and loves it too , it cracked the pumping code for him and it turns decent too.I'm really interested in the no pump DW run comment "running in 5kn 3:10 pace".? I've got a recurring back foot injury from pumping too much and I try to limit pumping atm. Are you saying you can stay on foil in 5 kn wind and no pumping ,but it slows your time to 3:10 ? If so that sounds encouraging and good technique practice without risking further injury to my " pump foot "I don't care how slow I go.

Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Jul 2024 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MilesH said..
Great to see what the Glider can do in the right hands

Are you using the 250 2D stab with it?

I was actually using a prototype DW rear. But I have really liked the 1400 with the 210 2D Stab for powered DW over the 250. For pump and bottom end, you can't beat the 250, but is it a big rear in today's DW world for hunting bumps at speed! My rear was 140 . Whilst this is not the production rear, it shows the versatility of the Glider, flatwater and pump foil on one stab then DW machine on another.

JB

Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Jul 2024 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Got a mate who has the 1400 and loves it too , it cracked the pumping code for him and it turns decent too.I'm really interested in the no pump DW run comment "running in 5kn 3:10 pace".? I've got a recurring back foot injury from pumping too much and I try to limit pumping atm. Are you saying you can stay on foil in 5 kn wind and no pumping ,but it slows your time to 3:10 ? If so that sounds encouraging and good technique practice without risking further injury to my " pump foot "I don't care how slow I go.

Careful how you interpret, but basically a lot less than other foils for sure. You just get such easy glide. In DW you will always have to pump, but some foils you have to pump continually in light conditions, others offer up long glides between efforts. The Glider I have found to be amazing at how well it carries my 93kg even in light conditions. It definitely helps to crack the pump code too, yes! And surfs way better than it should.
Unfortunately there is no "cheat" for DW, and it will always involve work and pump to some degree, some days more than others, but as a heavier rider, it offers up far more time just standing tall than panicing and pumping my gutts out in many challenging conditions.

JB

PeterP
841 posts
3 Jul 2024 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

Age, skill and fitness (or, as in your case, injuries) often determine how much pumping you are able/willing to do. For me, matching the foil to the conditions, is the key to less pumping. Basically a foil that is just fast enough to stay with bumps should allow you to do minimal pumping. As we have zero wind fetch, our bumps, are a direct corellation to the windstrength, making it easy to pick a foil for the day. So, depending on my mood I can pick a no pump day by going up a size in foil. On really slow days we're sitting at 16-17km/h (3.30min/km+) using a 1600 or 2050 front wing. This may not appeal to all, but I'm not a spring-chicken (or lightest) and I also enjoy the softer days.

In open ocean swells, the fetch, direction (sometimes multiple) and wind strength change this game completely as it becomes somewhat more complex with typically bigger, faster bumps. I've never not had to pump in those conditions as they take a lot more skill to read and master.

Sounds like the 1400 glider has a nice wide range which makes it so much easier to pick a foil.

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
3 Jul 2024 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Lots of factors determine how much extra effort (pumping) has to be done on a run, The easiest ones I've experienced so far have been pure wind generated chop from one direction only, no cross or ground swells mixed in.This gives lots of short period waves with plenty to choose from and easily readable. You won't set any records in these conditions but riding high and linking one after the other with very little pumping on a 1675 foil.
I watch some of those vids from the gorge in hood river where the tide is against wind and it looks effortless,no pumping required but maybe they just edit and post the best bits without showing any of the pumping.?????

Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Jul 2024 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Be careful admiring the videos, most are sections of their best footage. When you actually speak to crew that foil the gorge daily, there is hard sections where they bump their ring off! But every run will have a section or two where work is required usually.

Some good points above for sure.
- Matching foil speeds to bump speeds. This is paramount to a good run. Identifying the main energy you will be riding and matching it with your foils comfortable speed will result in rockstar stand tall glides! A good way to understand this is using the swell beat calculator. It one helps you estimate the actual bump size based on fetch and wind strength, then two, estimate the physical bump speed and the bump packed speed. swellbeat.com/wave-calculator/ here is an example.

Wind at 20kn, blowing for 3hrs over 20km of fetch will be at approx 0.82m and 3.66 sec.

Then take this 0.82m bump at 3.66sec period and see that each bump will be traveling at approx 4.91m/s (17.6kmh) whilst the group/packet speed will be 2.46m/s (8.8kmh).

there is also lots of info in there like the actual gap or wave length etc.
But for a bay run of no swell run, this support the 17kmh odd speed mentioned above. When we start planing with ocean swells, it adds a whole other concept, and you will see why those 1m days at 7 seconds are faster days than those at 3m and 15 sec. The speeds are far more usable with less swell with today's foil speeds achievable.

9.2m/s = 33.12kmh and 5.05m/s = 19.8kmh = excellent swell speeds for foils.

VS.

12.88m/s = 46.4kmh and 10.95m/s = 39.4kmh.

All a bit technical, and only a guide as there is soo many other things that also change things (depth, refraction, reefs, headlands, etc...). but as an idea. The easiest and least exertion is generally the smaller swell or no "swell" and long fetch wind bumps.

Dream conditions would be,

Which would be 6.7m/s (24kmh) pumps in packets/groups travelling 3.37m/s (12kmh). Built on these conditions below,

Important to remember that if the swells straight velocity is 24kmh, then the second you cut or edge, you need to be travelling faster to stay on the bump. Mathematically if you cut at 45 degrees, you'd need a speed of 34kmh. We often cut at 20-30 degrees which would be 25-27kmh.

All a little off with the pixies, but explains why sometimes a big foil is ideal in slower conditions.

That Glider HA 1400 has such a huge range, it can cover you in soo many conditions.

Good to understand how fast you are needed to travel and how fast your foils actually go with you on them.

Hopefully not too confusing or left field.

On a side note, had an excellent DW bay run yesterday on the Glider HA 1800. Very light winds, only 2km fetch, micro bumps. Basically able to paddle up in 5-7 strokes, and averaging 16.5kmh which is crazy! Such a cool foil range. Some would have said, un-foilable conditions.

JB

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
4 Jul 2024 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Wow that's really interesting information JB and it does explain some of the unique experiences I've had already Another different scenario that I've had which surprised me was a nil wind morning after a strong ne seabreeze the day before. There were heaps of messy short period bumps leftover in glassy nil wind conditions, I paddled out thinking I was wasting my time but I'm managed to pick a steep enough bump to get started and did the run which was a total surprise , although it definitely wasn't as easy as having a strong tailwind but still possible which I didn't think it would be.

Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Jul 2024 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Something further more to the above to understand is there is an infinite number of swells involved in a lot of cases, there is never just one swell, and the cross over and separate all the time. When swells cross through each other they actually combine their energy and size momentarily and likewise they eliminate size and energy from each other as troughs intersect.

This is a super basic visual I made of 3 swells intersecting.
1st swell is a short range, wind chop. Small in size and period.
2nd is a Longer range wind chop. Bigger in both, but still a wind swell.
3rd is a ground swell. LArge period and size comparatively.

Then finally is a look at what the ocean surface potentially would look like as they pass through each other etc...

?si=nQRFPFb3IMwiDHe3

Again, there is so much more in it than this, and they're not all moving liniarly, but it does help your mind understand whats going on underneath you. Try looking at just hte cross ahirs in the centre and imagine being on foil. The ups and down hills appearing and disappearing.

Kind of amazing how it grows and dissapears!

Enjoy,

JB

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
5 Jul 2024 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome ! sometimes I'm riding energy and I can't see where it's coming from or going to but it's definitely there and that would explain it !

Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Jul 2024 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Some more crazy good fun on the 1400 Glider HA up in Cairns. This foils truly amazes me. The range is incredible. This was my favourite run of the week up there,

Here's the Share sheet. Note I did have one drop to seaweed on the 7th KM.

The Splits, Best split 2:29, but lots in the 2:30 range which is great for this type of run (Not really ocean or bay, kind of a hybrid run).

Bit of a summary. Some big peaks and best 5x 10's pretty nice also.

Easy to paddle up, turns better than you'd ever imagine, pumps great and most of all, very easy to use!! As you can see with my HR, not working very hard at all.

Highly recommend!!

Ride safe,

JB

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
1 Aug 2024 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely is a good allrounder for DW ..got to ask what is the "croc " risk controls for foiling up in NQ ?

Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Aug 2024 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Definitely is a good allrounder for DW ..got to ask what is the "croc " risk controls for foiling up in NQ ?

It is winter, I didn't even think about them. Far more dangerous crossing the road or flying up there! Coming from our runs here in Sydney where I pretty much see a shark every run, Cairns does not present any rational risk to me at this time of year. But at the same time, in the "High Risk" areas like Wangetti where we exited right next to creek/river mouth which supplies water to the Hartley Crocodile Farm (that during recent floods had Crocs swim over the fences), we did not hang out splashing in the shorebreak, simply, finished our runs and exited the water (which is what you would normally do) and waited for our crew on the beach away from the waters edge. Common sense and respect is all you need. I would go back up there in a heartbeat to do more DW, it was amazing!! 10 day trip total expenses including air, accom, car, food and everything was $3,500.00. Cant beat that for 28 degrees and perfect DW every day!

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
1 Aug 2024 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that info.It definitely ticks a lot of boxes that for sure,I wasn't sure if you might be avoiding creek mouths etc , It's hard to get a real picture on it when you don't live there, have any experience or local knowledge.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Naish Glider HA 1400 - More than just a pump foil!" started by Windgenuity