Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 Naish Mana 9'0

Created by mbuzz > 9 months ago, 17 Oct 2010
mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
17 Oct 2010 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Got a chance to demo a 2011 Naish Mana 9'0 today.

It may only be 5" shorter than the 9'5", but with 50L less volume, it is a completely different beast. It seems slightly deceptive having the same name in my opinion.

Compared side-by-side with the 9'5", it has a similar overall profile, only smaller, with slightly less rocker and a slightly tidier more defined nose, but once on the water, that's where the similarities end.

First impressions was that it felt quite tippy, compared with some other boards of a similar volume that I have tried, but the tippiness never eventuates into a spill. I think this may be because most of the volume feels as though it is located towards the front (any attempts at standing further back than the middle line were met with a tail sink followed by a rocket launch!).

When trying to catch a wave, it required a lot more effort than the 9'5" (which seems to do most of the work for you), and as a result the first two waves passed me by. Unfortunately my demo was shortened by aggravating a recent snowboarding injury attempting the second wave but I managed to grit my teeth and take it for one more go as I really wanted to test it on a move. Third time lucky and what a beauty. Really smooth, easy, fast turns, very responsive and the wide nose means that if you need to you can still get right forward and nose-ride.

All up a great board. I'm sure you will see heaps of them in the water soon (as a comp board, as well as at the local beach).

The only dilemma I have now is, do I get one or stick with my original plan and get the 9'0 Hokua? If I get the Hokua, I can keep the 9'5 Mana for marginal days and light cruising. If I get the 9'0 Mana, I won't ever need another board (don't tell my wife I said that).

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
17 Oct 2010 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

By the way, the 9'0 Mana is the one with the Bamboo deck in-case your wondering.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
17 Oct 2010 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Great review.. How tall/heavy are you?

DJ

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
18 Oct 2010 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

6'2" tall and 85kg.

I found it sat very low in the water when idle paddling. Frequently had water round my feet. Will be interesting to see how it compares with the Hokua. The 9' Hokua's are here now so only a matter of days before someone posts a review. I'd like to say I'll take mine out next weekend once I've picked it up but think I'll need to rest my buggered shoulder.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
18 Oct 2010 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

I'm trying one tomorrow from Ocean Addicts. Hope it's a little more stable than my 9'6 Fanatic

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
19 Oct 2010 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Let me know what you think.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
19 Oct 2010 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

HI Mark,

The wait is over as they got in store yesterday. Took a couple of pics of the 9 footer to wet the appetite so come and demo away.

Sam.

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
19 Oct 2010 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Be still my beating heart.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
19 Oct 2010 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Picked up the 9'0 today. Laid next to the Fanatic Fly 9'6 I noticed the rocker is more pronounced in the Mana, especially at the tail.

Mana has softish rails and is wider through the last 1/3 of the board.

The Fanatic is 29" and the Mana is 29.5" but the Mana looks wider and more importantly, much prettier!! They feel about the same weight which is why I switched to the Fanatic from the Mana 10' in the first place. Mana 10' felt like surfing on the Titanic for my 80kg!!! Mana 9' is 130lt as opposed to 210lt for the Mana 10'

The Mana 9' really looks like an athletic version of the rest of the Mana range.

Naish have exceeded themselves with the finish of this board. High gloss and with the bamboo veneer, looks so sweet.

I'm off to test its water capabilities at dawn so watch here for more. I'll compare the Mana 9' to the Mana 10' and the Fanatic Fly 9'6. I'm not that experienced at SUP but I've been surfing for 20 years.

NC Surfer
142 posts
19 Oct 2010 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Lets see some photos of that 7'8 laying on the floor

Can you lay a straight edge on the concave deck of the 9'0. It looks more flat in that photo. Do the rails look the same as other Naish boards, even with that deck concave? More photos

Rosscoe
VIC, 505 posts
20 Oct 2010 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

That 9.0 Hokua looks sweet. More photos please?

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
20 Oct 2010 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave said...

Picked up the 9'0 today. Laid next to the Fanatic Fly 9'6 I noticed the rocker is more pronounced in the Mana, especially at the tail.

The Fanatic is 29" and the Mana is 29.5" but the Mana looks wider and more importantly, much prettier!! They feel about the same weight which is why I switched to the Fanatic from the Mana 10' in the first place. Mana 10' felt like surfing on the Titanic for my 80kg!!! Mana 9' is 130lt as opposed to 210lt for the Mana 10'

The Mana 9' really looks like an athletic version of the rest of the Mana range.

Naish have exceeded themselves with the finish of this board. High gloss and with the bamboo veneer, looks so sweet.

I'm off to test its water capabilities at dawn so watch here for more. I'll compare the Mana 9' to the Mana 10' and the Fanatic Fly 9'6. I'm not that experienced at SUP but I've been surfing for 20 years.

EDIT: correction.....Mana 9' is 140lt

no surf today so wait......

Roarind
27 posts
20 Oct 2010 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Just got the 9ft and 8'5 Hokua in store and they look really good the weight would have to be about 6kg from the feels of it the finish is perfect and the new handel is a great bonus. So any one wanting a demo on the Goldy drop in and have a go!!!!

Jacko

Cam Gillies
SA, 216 posts
20 Oct 2010 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

You gotta love these people with built in scales in their arms 'feels about'.... Chuck it on some scales with fins on and give us the real weight

Roarind
27 posts
20 Oct 2010 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Cam Gillies said...

You gotta love these people with built in scales in their arms 'feels about'.... Chuck it on some scales with fins on and give us the real weight

Haha true and I will do but I do feel alot of boards and to me this feels pretty good and all the people who picked it up today said the same weight. But I will weigh it tomorrow and see how my arm weight goes.

paul.j
QLD, 3340 posts
21 Oct 2010 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

9ft Hokua weight is 7.5kg
12 catalina weight is 11 kg

Jacko

paul.j
QLD, 3340 posts
21 Oct 2010 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

7'3 Hokau 6.5kg

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
21 Oct 2010 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

picked up the 9.0 Mana today and could not believe how light it is compared to my 9'5"Mana. Its so different......can not even begin to think why its called a Mana. I am basically in love. Taking it for a spin on Saturday. Shame it looks like we have small waves. The tail is so different to the 9'5'" - loads less volume through it and really nice rails. I think it will go off like a pound of C4 ! Also there is some nice rocker at the ends but it is super flat through the middle. Reminds me of my 6.0".

The chickybabe is going to love this board - not to mention it will fit on the planes no worries, will not weigh too much, will fit inside the car and will be a dream for the GF too walk down to the water with. Did I mention how nice the handle grip is.........a really simple idea. But a really really good one.

Rightio thats enough from me for now............

benk
QLD, 398 posts
23 Oct 2010 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

I Just took the new 2011 Naish 9'0" Mana for it's first spin in side/off 15-20 knot wind and waist high waves. What a great board. Fast, stable enough, turns nice and smooth, i can't wait to get it out in some better surf to see what it can do on a bigger face! I was expecting the stability to be a lot less than the 9'5" but when it tips it recovers further down and once you get use to it, it becomes really comfortable.

Confession I sell naish sups:
I am 95kg 5'11" started on a Naish 11'6 in 2008, 11'4" in 2009 and then got a Mana 9'5" last year which has been fantastic. I am so happy with the new 9'0" as a natural progression from the 9'5". At my size it is a perfect fit for my skills, size and weight and needs on a wave.

Pros:
Fantastic on a wave,
Nice turns
light weight,
excellent finish
More stable than I was expecting

Cons:
It does not fit in the bag provided with the fins on! Customers will find this really annoying, naish should fix this, last years bags fitted perfectly.

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
24 Oct 2010 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave said...

Hey BWD, Had any waves yet I'm interested in hearing your reports on these boards. I used to have the a Mana 9'5 and went to a 9'3 Sub Vector. Both great boards. The SV is alot faster, surfs a bit better and catches waves easier but a bit more unstable. Wouldn't it be nice if we could keep em all

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
24 Oct 2010 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

I took the new 9'0" for a spin yesterday arvo - in howling winds and small surf. I was very surprised at the stability factor - although I had a bit of water lapping me I found it surprisingly quick to paddle.. I really thought I would struggle on it in the wind. Sadly its hard to comment re the waves as basically it was crap with nothing really around. This morning was even worse. Anyway it seems like a winner although as previously mentioned the board does not fit in the bag with the fins on.....stupid. Looking forward to getting it out on a nice clean head high day for a true indication. The GF loved it - she had in the morning whilst I was fixing her car! Its definitely lighter and easier to handle for her after the 9'5" and this is all good!!!

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
27 Oct 2010 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got the 9'0 Mana wet this morning. Two foot max sets.

First impression: A little bit tippy at first (but I haven't been out in weeks) but not as tippy as the Fanatic 9'6 Fly I was riding lately. Turns way quicker too.

Easy to paddle but bucks you off if you even think about standing too far aft (towards the rear for you kiwis)

Paddles easy into a wave and surfs like a demon. Turns on a pin and is fast enough to beat some close out sections. After surfing the 10 Mana it's hard to believe they're from the same stable!!

If you like your 10' or 9'5 Mana and you are under 90kg, give this board a try. I reckon in head high waves the Mana 9'0 will be a ripsnorter!!

I even got Hayden from Ocean Addicts to have a go and he's hooked too.

Swanie
QLD, 1372 posts
27 Oct 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Come on Dave. Don't limit it to you fly weights. I reckon it would surf wicked for us bigger boned specimens.

Lets line up a surf to compare. I am at M'dore on Saturday morning as my girls have surf lessons with GT at 8am.

Cheers
Swanie

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
28 Oct 2010 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

I can't see how fat arses can have fun paddling around with their feet under water!

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
5 Nov 2010 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Went for a surf on Monday in 3 ft offshore point break.

Loving the mana 9'0. Not changing now!!

If you like to throw a longboard around on a decent point break then you'll love the mana 9'0. Turns on a pin but is also fast enough to get through the quick sections.

Floaters are so easy on this board!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 Naish Mana 9'0" started by mbuzz