Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014 Mana - 8'5 vs 8'10 really the same volume?

Created by supthecreek > 9 months ago, 3 Mar 2014
supthecreek
2602 posts
3 Mar 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2013 9'5 Mana that I really like on small mushy waves. I also like the look of the 2014's.
Looking into a smaller one.

Every site I look at says the same thing

8'5 x 30.5 = 132L
8'10 x 30.5= 133L

Since there is SO much chatter and confusion about stated volume on Naish SUP's.... can anyone confirm these?
Has anyone ridden both the 8'5 & 8'10 and has an opinion on functional difference's? Any 2014 8'10 Allwave users have any input???

Thanks for any input!

ps.... my 9'5 says 140L on the bottom.... WAY more than that...I believe it is the 163L I saw somewhere. It floats me high and dry, while my 144.4 L board is low in the water

ghost4man
408 posts
3 Mar 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

There are honestly times where I feel that they actually guess the amounts.

What is the actual metric that they rely upon to determine these figures. Does anyone know?

Cheers Ozzie

esg
4 posts
4 Mar 2014 4:03AM
Thumbs Up

Pretty pathetic that Naish can't figure out the volume of their boards.
Is the $2500+ price tag on their new XLE's also a misprint? Jeesus!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17438 posts
4 Mar 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

I've been told by a few people that they find the new shape 8'5'' more stable than the older shape 8'10''

Slab
1088 posts
4 Mar 2014 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

Is this one as well as the Prowave or have you changed your mind.....and a Naish? Like the look of the 8ft 5 and volume is good if it is 132litres.

supthecreek
2602 posts
4 Mar 2014 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Slab...
I won't get my Prowave till late April. Still very stoked on it.... but it will be too late for this winter, when I need it. I sold my Allwave to fund the Prowave, so I am stuck without a proper board for all the 5 mil winter gear.

I am planning my summer changes ahead. I bought a 9'5 Mana for small winter days and flat-water, but had an issue with it.... may be getting a replacement. If I do... I just may trade up to a 2014 Mana... and thinking about sizes. It just seems like a bit of a double up if the 8'10 and 8'5 are the same width and same volume. I'd probably go 8'5 if they really are.

But then again.....I'll end up with too many short SUP's since I have my summer 8'11 Hobie RAW...who knows? I just may get the new 9'5. I like the Mana line for fun days... very surfable and relaxing.

At any rate... I can handle the confusion for now It will be a while before any of the 2014 models are here... by then... I may get a SIM SUP

SO much fun... all these cool boards to research!!!!!!

One thing I will say.... almost ALL brands are zeroing in on very good new models. Most issues are being tweaked out of previous ones. There are now GREAT choices for SUPsters of all size's and abilities.... you don't have to be a Pro to ride a good shape this year.

Slab
1088 posts
4 Mar 2014 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
Hey Slab...

I won't get my Prowave till late April. Still very stoked on it.... but it will be too late for this winter, when I need it. I sold my Allwave to fund the Prowave, so I am stuck without a proper board for all the 5 mil winter gear.

I am planning my summer changes ahead. I bought a 9'5 Mana for small winter days and flat-water, but had an issue with it.... may be getting a replacement. If I do... I just may trade up to a 2014 Mana... and thinking about sizes. It just seems like a bit of a double up if the 8'10 and 8'5 are the same width and same volume. I'd probably go 8'5 if they really are.

But then again.....I'll end up with too many short SUP's since I have my summer 8'11 Hobie RAW...who knows? I just may get the new 9'5. I like the Mana line for fun days... very surfable and relaxing.

At any rate... I can handle the confusion for now It will be a while before any of the 2014 models are here... by then... I may get a SIM SUP

SO much fun... all these cool boards to research!!!!!!

One thing I will say.... almost ALL brands are zeroing in on very good new models. Most issues are being tweaked out of previous ones. There are now GREAT choices for SUPsters of all size's and abilities.... you don't have to be a Pro to ride a good shape this year.

Too true - I think designs are really coming on and there is more to choose from. And as you know....the fun is in the research but it can also be mind boggling! I'm in the process of trying to flog my Allwave....did me well that SUP. For once I am not looking for anything else for the foreseeable.....but can see me either downsizing again or going the opposite way and longboarding........but that's in the future.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 Mana - 8'5 vs 8'10 really the same volume?" started by supthecreek