2014 Starboard Whopper

Created by Stutho > 9 months ago, 18 Mar 2014
Stutho
14 posts
18 Mar 2014 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

G'day all,

Newbie here!

I have read a lot of people suggesting boards to new SUP riders, but none seam to mention the Whopper.

I am a new rider, 90kg, flat water/small wave interest, hopefully putting my young son on the board too.

Is there others out there doing the same on a Whopper??

Thanks!!!!!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
18 Mar 2014 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stutho said...
[br]G'day all,

Newbie here!

I have read a lot of people suggesting boards to new SUP riders, but none seam to mention the Whopper.

I am a new rider, 90kg, flat water/small wave interest, hopefully putting my young son on the board too.

Thanks!!!!!

How young?

esg
4 posts
18 Mar 2014 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a pic of my son and I on one. I'm 200# and my son's 35#. They're fun and stable boards in the waves with lots of rocker. OK for cruising around in flat water, but slow.

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
18 Mar 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

I am 100 kg's and I surfed a whopper for about 6 months (outgrew it after a while). I love the board it is so much fun to surf on, extremely easy and stable, turns really well for a board that size and is good for a few nose rides too!! The best thing about this board is the way it picks up waves it really gets up and starts planing super early and lets you get into waves you didn't think you were going to catch. I would definitely recommend this as a first surf sup for any bigger guy. It will do general flat water paddling duties but is not ideal for it. its a bit too wide and too much rocker

Stutho
14 posts
19 Mar 2014 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

Stutho said...

G'day all,

Newbie here!

Thanks!!!!!

How young?

My boy is 2 and a half going on 17. About 20 kgs wet. The hope was to get him on the board till he is old enough to stand up on it with me, then later get him on his own board fingers crossed.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
19 Mar 2014 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

what about this:

anybody seen one in the flesh?

Stutho
14 posts
19 Mar 2014 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting....

Seems very wide in the tail?? Harder to use in the surf maybe??

Stutho
14 posts
20 Mar 2014 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JacobMatan said..

I am 100 kg's and I surfed a whopper for about 6 months (outgrew it after a while). I love the board it is so much fun to surf on, extremely easy and stable, turns really well for a board that size and is good for a few nose rides too!! The best thing about this board is the way it picks up waves it really gets up and starts planing super early and lets you get into waves you didn't think you were going to catch. I would definitely recommend this as a first surf sup for any bigger guy. It will do general flat water paddling duties but is not ideal for it. its a bit too wide and too much rocker

Thanks for the info, what did you move to after the whopper??

Reddog74
QLD, 52 posts
25 Mar 2014 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

yeah Stutho??
i Bought a whopper in 2012 for the exact same reasons you mentioned mate?.at the time i was around 105kgs, and had a little boy(3) and it was perfect for that?.i could use it to ride smaller waves by myself but also use it to have fun with my family on the flat stuff !
These days i,m around the 90kgs and my son is 5 and we still use the old whopper for family fun so i,d highly recommend it !
note- you will want another smaller board for riding waves once you get addicted though! ;-)

Stutho
14 posts
26 Mar 2014 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Reddog74 said..

yeah Stutho??
i Bought a whopper in 2012 for the exact same reasons you mentioned mate?.at the time i was around 105kgs, and had a little boy(3) and it was perfect for that?.i could use it to ride smaller waves by myself but also use it to have fun with my family on the flat stuff !
These days i,m around the 90kgs and my son is 5 and we still use the old whopper for family fun so i,d highly recommend it !
note- you will want another smaller board for riding waves once you get addicted though! ;-)

Thanks Reddog! I am still considering my options, it's between the Whopper and the JP Fusion 10'8" at the moment. So hard to choose!

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
26 Mar 2014 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi stutho I moved down to a JP surf 9'2 which is a great board but I can't surf it in any conditions like I could the whopper ( choppy slop) I actually had a JP 10'2 fusion before I had the whopper, this was a great board when there was a bit of size in the waves but quite hard to turn and do cutbacks when it was small. I went to the whopper after the JP fusion and found it to be heaps more fun in the surf. I reckon the 10'8 JP might be a bit overkill

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 Starboard Whopper" started by Stutho