Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014/5 ECS Wideboy brushed carbon review

Created by Jvrbas > 9 months ago, 6 Oct 2014
Jvrbas
NSW, 2 posts
6 Oct 2014 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Folks,

After watching / reading the forum, and really appreciating all the help. I thought I should contribute at least a little something back.

So here is my review of the ECS Wideboy.

Im 75kg, been SUP'ping for a year, having surfed prior to that for about 10 years, although only a pretty average surfer. I got the SUP bug big time though and head out 3/4 days a week in a range of surf conditions. Ive been on a PSH 9'7" which has been such a great introduction to the sport. I've used it for everything from 5km+ harbour cruising, and then beach and point breaks up to overhead in size.

After quite a few demos, a couple of the bigger brands too, I settled on the ECS Wideboy 8'10" in brushed carbon. I demo'd the bamboo but purchased the carbon being the same shape and all. If there was a downside to the PSH was the weight, so the ECS coming in at 8.1kgs (without fins) has made a massive difference.

Ive only been out twice but it has gone beyond my expectations. Im running the stock thruster fin setup, which seems good, although a very big and heavy central fin. The thing just rips though, now I understand how the pros can move a board around a wave. The surf hasn't been big enough to test it on bigger waves but so far its been more than comfortable on steeper beach drops at low tide, with a few floaters thrown in as well. The rocker is just about right for me, not pushing too much water trying to get onto the wave, but still enough not to nose dive on late entry.

The thing that I like most however is how it surfs and "sits" in the water, it doesn't have that "corky" feeling that I have had on other carbon boards.

Stability wise, for me its perfect. It is not a beginners board, the slightly rolled deck makes it a little more tippy compared to the PSH (which to be fair is like standing on a boat), but at 31" wide I can relax my legs out the back, without having to concentrate all the time compared to some of the narrower boards Ive tried.

There are a couple of alternatives in the market, that are 32" wide and shorter, but I would prefer something to handle slightly larger waves and have more drive, and anything shorter/wider I think might compromise that. I havent demo'd them yet however.

I find that the pointed nose, is definitely the way to go, as it helps getting out through the breakers compared to a rounded nose.

The board came with a travel bag, that's high quality - well padded, good zips, nice reflective coat etc. Its a shame it doesn't have a paddle holder built in though.

The finish of the board is fantastic, again the quality of the paint everything is just perfect and all the logos, trim, deck pad all line up with mm perfection. I still dont understand the brushed carbon look, Perhaps to prove is carbon? To reduce weight? I guess there are a few brands doing it, so there must be some reason.

Colour / design is personal, ideally Id buy just a white board - one that wont suck heat compared with darker colours. The design on this seems to the 2014, but the shape and construction is 2015, this suits me though as the bottom remains "white" compared to the green of the 2015.

A couple of other nice features. The deck pad is epoxy'd rather than glued, it is chamfered around the handle to stop it coming up. The handle is one of those "T handles" which makes it very easy to carry.

Overall, a very happy customer.

Dorsal
13 posts
7 Oct 2014 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the great review, and good to hear the board really works for you.

pohaku
NSW, 850 posts
7 Oct 2014 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

yewwww

Coastie
NSW, 76 posts
7 Oct 2014 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Probably a good time to throw in my 2 cents. I bought a 9'5 ECS wideboy in the bamboo construction a couple of months ago now. I'm 6'2, 100kgs and this is my first surf sup, I've previously only had/have flat water boards.
So I probably can't give an 'expert' review, but I can say as a newbie, this board is amazing. It's 32" wide, 156l, not too awkward or tippy for my size, although I was falling a bit, I was catching waves from my first session and I'm slowly getting better with each surf, and the board just gets better as my skills improve. Quality seems top notch, came with a great bag and a carbon paddle. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014/5 ECS Wideboy brushed carbon review" started by Jvrbas